PDA

View Full Version : VA/Rex/Tiger August announcements???

SpyderPig
31st Jul 2019, 13:57
Rex to operate the ATR with Virgin pilots on virgin eba along side Rex crews to gain exposure to ATR ops as a precursor to moving to ATR 42s as Saab replacement. Rex to pull out of competitive routes with qlink, run VA ATR against and move extra Saab’s north to Darwin to put the hurt on Airnorth.

330s gone within 4 years and 777 gone also to be replaced with one fleet of 787s on international and domestic ops.

Tiger to be rolled onto VARAs AOC, 737 transition continues and tiger 320s continue to VARA, F100 to be phased out and E190s to make a return.

Discuss....

Asturias56
31st Jul 2019, 15:26
Are these real or rumours or just ravings??

TWOTBAGS
1st Aug 2019, 00:38
someone needs DAMP testing

Berealgetreal
1st Aug 2019, 00:41
Saabs and F100’s will be around for years to come.

uhoh
1st Aug 2019, 01:49
Rex to operate the ATR with Virgin pilots on virgin eba along side Rex crews to gain exposure to ATR ops as a precursor to moving to ATR 42s as Saab replacement. Rex to pull out of competitive routes with qlink, run VA ATR against and move extra Saab’s north to Darwin to put the hurt on Airnorth.

330s gone within 4 years and 777 gone also to be replaced with one fleet of 787s on international and domestic ops.

Tiger to be rolled onto VARAs AOC, 737 transition continues and tiger 320s continue to VARA, F100 to be phased out and E190s to make a return.

Discuss....

The E190 return has been rumoured for a little while now. Whether it happens or not, who knows!

anonfly
1st Aug 2019, 03:15
Rumour had business class travel coming 6 weeks back. Rumour mill is in overdrive. Last I heard on the mill was the EJet was off to VARA in December. Also heard Tiger was to be rolled into VARA as well.
Basis for these rumours is pretty thin on the ground. Usually its guys/girls crystal ball gazing, however even a broken clock is right once a day.

Icarus2001
1st Aug 2019, 03:43
however even a broken clock is right once a day Too funny. You mean TWICE a day.

Slippery_Pete
1st Aug 2019, 04:57
someone needs DAMP testing

Got it in one.

Ladloy
1st Aug 2019, 04:59
Current rumour in Rex is code share with Virgin. It doesn't really excite many.

mppgf
1st Aug 2019, 07:38
Too funny. You mean TWICE a day.

Nope ! Not for an Aviator

​​​​​
https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/300x294/24_hour_clock_8c751ca11d85561df800edeba4bba732f9dea569.jpg

desertduck
1st Aug 2019, 08:02
And who does the rumour suggest is going to be paying for it all ?????

smiling monkey
1st Aug 2019, 08:15
They're still paying for the leases of the Ejets whilst they're in storage in the USA so that part make sense if they decide to bring them back, but does VA still have any check and training crew current on them?

PoppaJo
1st Aug 2019, 09:16
Still parked there. Commonly referred to as the legacy of Mossimo.
https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/1201x676/a02298fc_758a_42d3_8b4c_e068d70bbe09_c8195bbae9f3404f743c38a a7688fb0957a69b42.jpeg

wishiwasupthere
1st Aug 2019, 09:33
Funny looking Ejets..

Berealgetreal
1st Aug 2019, 09:37
Pretty close to the same lease costs though.

At one stage referred to as the “ATM” they were apparently making sooo much money.

Harbour Dweller
1st Aug 2019, 10:06

Had an interesting chat with some VAA A330 blokes visiting Fragrant Harbour recently. Over a few beers they alluded to the first part of this rumour being on the cards. The second part... not so much. JB's dream of widebodies slated to be heading the same way as JB.. gone. The incoming's vision heavily rumoured to be in favour of returning to the grass roots model of domestic Virgin Blue style ops.

Berealgetreal
1st Aug 2019, 10:19
The objective is to improve the credit rating. He said that the widebody is staying. It’s a long game.

coaldemon
1st Aug 2019, 10:34
And the leases don't run out until 2024/5.

Asturias56
1st Aug 2019, 17:56
I note Spyderpig hasn't replied............................ wind-up merchant?

Buster Hyman
1st Aug 2019, 19:34
I note Spyderpig hasn't replied............................ wind-up merchant?Out making up new rumours I imagine...

https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/288x216/tenor_9bf85102775803482f628c3d33acebe17e6784be.gif

27/09
2nd Aug 2019, 08:53
Funny looking Ejets..
Not the USA either looks more like NZNS

dijical
2nd Aug 2019, 11:43

Would be interested to know more re this rumour about Rex/Virgin/ATR.
Do Rex compete with Virgin on any routes atm?

PoppaJo
2nd Aug 2019, 11:52
3 or 4 routes.

The ATR is way to big for the majority of Rex’s network which relies on low capital investment in old aircraft for what is minimal demand in many markets.

John tried the ATR right around the regional landscape how’d that work out?

VH DSJ
2nd Aug 2019, 13:34
3 or 4 routes.

The ATR is way to big for the majority of Rex’s network which relies on low capital investment in old aircraft for what is minimal demand in many markets.

John tried the ATR right around the regional landscape how’d that work out?

The ATR42 seems to be better suited for a Saab340 replacement.

https://australianaviation.com.au/2018/02/__trashed-12/

Global Aviator
2nd Aug 2019, 23:42
Makes me think of feckin eejit.... readen some of this...

Ladloy
3rd Aug 2019, 00:06
The ATR42 seems to be better suited for a Saab340 replacement.

https://australianaviation.com.au/2018/02/__trashed-12/
Even so Rex are still picking up saabs for 1.5 mil from the states. 4 in the last 12 months. Any fleet replacement is 5-10 years away

TBM-Legend
5th Aug 2019, 02:13
It appears that Turkish Airlines are circling to make a move on the HNA 20% of Virgin Oz! Be interesting to see the FA's in a habib....

Icarus2001
5th Aug 2019, 04:38
What is a habib?

Do any of the middle East three cabin crew wear them?

Cunning_Stunt
5th Aug 2019, 05:18
Habib????!!. Don’t you mean hijab?!

TBM-Legend
5th Aug 2019, 05:33
Turkish Airlines Is Said to Eye HNA's Virgin Australia Stake - Bloomberg (https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2019-07-31/turkish-airlines-said-to-show-interest-in-hna-s-virgin-australia)
https://www.bloomberg.com/.../turkish-airlines-said-to-show-interest-in-hna-s-virgin-aus... (https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2019-07-31/turkish-airlines-said-to-show-interest-in-hna-s-virgin-australia)

Mr Habib.....

Buster Hyman
7th Aug 2019, 06:20
So...when does MM finish up? As in, get the Billy Blunt treatment... :oh:

AerialPerspective
7th Aug 2019, 07:00
Virgin shares currently 16 cents. Pity those who bought in at over a $1 and then saw nothing in return but watched while billions were wasted and millions went in bonuses to the previous CEO.

The Bullwinkle
7th Aug 2019, 12:00
So...when does MM finish up? As in, get the Billy Blunt treatment... :oh:

We can only wish.............

James4th
14th Aug 2019, 02:09
Too funny. You mean TWICE a day.

Not if it is a 24 hr clock.

Capt. On Heat
17th Aug 2019, 01:46
Turkish?! No way. A more likely announcement would be bye bye to the public listing and then one of the owners taking full control. And of them, there's only one where there has been no noise about them wanting to sell out!

PoppaJo
17th Aug 2019, 02:32
That said carrier has lodged a $32m~ loss in its full year results last month for its shareholding in this mob so it looks like a 150-200m loss will be revealed next week.

With I assume a raft of emergency measures to arrest this financial mess and debt growing by the month. I’d expect some tough calls made on this business next week.

Buster Hyman
17th Aug 2019, 04:41
Closer alignment with VARA for Ops, cancel the 737 conversion....my tips for the 28th. :ok:

Mr Google Head
17th Aug 2019, 11:13
Turkish?! No way. A more likely announcement would be bye bye to the public listing and then one of the owners taking full control. And of them, there's only one where there has been no noise about them wanting to sell out!

wishful thinking; what is the incentive in full control?

Blueskymine
17th Aug 2019, 13:16
Full control means responsibility for the results.

Partial ownership means terms that suit your existing business. IE no compete on profitable existing routes.

Which is is why no major carrier will become a major shareholder. They’ll just stick to a reduced percentile to keep a voice on the board that suits their agenda.

Mr Google Head
19th Aug 2019, 04:32
Let’s all just wait and see on the 28th!

this is not the Professional Pilots Factual Information Network....😂

1A_Please
20th Aug 2019, 02:05
this is not the Professional Pilots Factual Information Network....😂
Sometimes it isn't even the Professional Pilots Rumour Network, it is more the Random Anybody's Fantasy Network

Arthur D
20th Aug 2019, 13:05
TT to become a virtual airline.

Return of the E190’s.....

It is a rumour network after all......

Snakecharma
21st Aug 2019, 00:02
They have decided on a profit strategy, so they are flogging everything aviation related and buying a block of flats

Berealgetreal
21st Aug 2019, 00:09
No they’re going to buy a car park at an airport.

Blueskymine
21st Aug 2019, 01:17
They’ve bought the Ansett brand name from Korda Mentha. They’re renaming the 320s Skystars, and they are launching back into the premium space to take on QF.

Snakecharma
21st Aug 2019, 01:48
Bereal, yes, clearly you are not senior management material, because that is an excellent idea (and no I am not being sarcastic!) and I wish I had thought of that :)

i live in hope that the new bloke has his **** in a pile and he leads us to the promised land, as opposed to the last bloke who lead us to the steps of the bankruptcy court.

Ladloy
21st Aug 2019, 01:48
They have decided on a profit strategy, so they are flogging everything aviation related and buying a block of flats
Not far from the truth. Rex chairman built a new hotel next to their HQ. Making squillions from qantas engineers when they're on ground school and rex crew. They also built enough room for a few sims inbetween HQ and the hotel.

Berealgetreal
21st Aug 2019, 05:14
I’m optimistic snakecharmer. Got to let people have a go.

Airport accom in Sydney would make some serious
cash. Getting the land the issue.

Snakecharma
21st Aug 2019, 09:43
I reckon buying a secure or Wilson’s car park in Brisbane city is the ultimate cash cow. 42 bucks for an hour if not pre booked at one joint.

Highway robbery and much much easier to do when compared to running aeroplanes.

Berealgetreal
21st Aug 2019, 10:02
I think Wilson’s is owned by one of China’s richest men. Same man ownes SA power. Recall seeing a 4 corners special on it.

In Melbourne and Sydney if you aren’t careful where you park you’ll be out of pocket several hundred dollars. Made a mistake once and the sum reduced the other half to tears. It was hundreds and hundreds.

MikeHatter732
24th Aug 2019, 03:26
qantas engineers when they're on ground school
I wish QF put us up at the Branksome!
Holiday Inn is about the best we get.

TBM-Legend
26th Aug 2019, 05:33
Brace ypurselves at VA for a considerable loss announcement [7 years in a row]. Investors say no more financial support. HKG hasn't helped now as are the poor Tiger results.

PoppaJo
26th Aug 2019, 05:39
https://au.finance.yahoo.com/news/turnaround-may-prove-tricky-virgin-011107109.html

You can rebrand Tiger as many times you want, a fleet of 13 aircraft is never going to contribute on any form of scale to the group. Which is why Tony Davis back in 07 wanted 25/30 aircraft here as it was the only way to get scale.

Offloading loss making Virgin kiwi or pacific routes to Tiger isn’t the answer either.

coaldemon
26th Aug 2019, 08:17
Could always change Tiger back to Virgin Blue with the old retro pain scheme. :O Branson would love it. More Royalties.

There is no more money from the Shareholders as this train heads to the station. If the CCO and COO positions come from within the VA group of managers then it is not going to be a smooth arrival at that station either. Time for big decisions and if stopping HKG is one then where do they put those A330's? Can't afford to park them and can't afford to operate them. Leaning the business means smoothing the Fleets and the product while making it all consistent.

I bet they are trying to work out the former and current managers in Jamie Freed's article. In a former time there would have been a witch hunt looking for them.

TBM-Legend
26th Aug 2019, 08:48
Can't afford to park them and can't afford to operate them

Park them next to the E190's and ATR72's....start a museum and charge admission perhaps!

Icarus2001
26th Aug 2019, 10:38
then where do they put those A330's? Well they used to fill them up flying East-West across the country so there is an idea.

Berealgetreal
26th Aug 2019, 14:45
Looks like the new boss better do something fast!
Rebranding Tiger? More cash.
A330 the next issue.

Wizofoz
27th Aug 2019, 03:01
https://au.finance.yahoo.com/news/turnaround-may-prove-tricky-virgin-011107109.html

You can rebrand Tiger as many times you want, a fleet of 13 aircraft is never going to contribute on any form of scale to the group. Which is why Tony Davis back in 07 wanted 25/30 aircraft here as it was the only way to get scale.

Offloading loss making Virgin kiwi or pacific routes to Tiger isn’t the answer either.

Tiger was operating profitably before the brilliant decision to re-equip with 737s they didn't have and wouldn't buy...….

Capt. On Heat
27th Aug 2019, 04:32
wishful thinking; what is the incentive in full control?

With the rumours of the loss reported tomorrow sounds even more likely to me. Singapore have been waiting a loonnnggggg time wanting to get proper access to the Aussie market - I read a brief article from an aviation publication a few months ago hinting at this kind of thing which got me wondering.

Another loss coming when Qantas posts another decent profit, share price is depressed (depressing still...) so delist from ASX as minimal private shareholders, Etihad and HNA aren't exactly in a strong position themselves so primed to sell, SQ take control and rebrand Tiger to Scoot to compliment their existing brand. Seems to me it's definitely more possible than bringing back E190s 😆

Mr Google Head
27th Aug 2019, 05:06
With the rumours of the loss reported tomorrow sounds even more likely to me. Singapore have been waiting a loonnnggggg time wanting to get proper access to the Aussie market - I read a brief article from an aviation publication a few months ago hinting at this kind of thing which got me wondering.

Another loss coming when Qantas posts another decent profit, share price is depressed (depressing still...) so delist from ASX as minimal private shareholders, Etihad and HNA aren't exactly in a strong position themselves so primed to sell, SQ take control and rebrand Tiger to Scoot to compliment their existing brand. Seems to me it's definitely more possible than bringing back E190s 😆

A good theory, and although I personally doubt the eventuation; Singapore couldn’t do a worse job of running the place??

Capt. On Heat
27th Aug 2019, 05:25
Haha yes, I'd second that 😂😂😂

Lookleft
27th Aug 2019, 05:41
I remember a time where SQ was considered the answer to a domestic airlines problems. At the end of the day unless SQ have an absolute guarantee of a return they will not commit.

Mr Google Head
27th Aug 2019, 05:45
I remember a time where SQ was considered the answer to a domestic airlines problems. At the end of the day unless SQ have an absolute guarantee of a return they will not commit.

they sound too sensible to become the knight in shining armour in that case?

wheels_down
27th Aug 2019, 06:37
Don’t forget SQ are largely responsible for a lot of the mess today so of course they should take full control, its partly their mess. Tiger was under SQ control for the first 5 years run out of its Singapore office.

Singapore injected the most cash and kept the bonds alive. EY and SQ had heavy involvement in the tinkering behind closed doors. Tiger becoming a Virgin problem was part of that process. You want cash..well your getting Tiger also.

EY and SQ also encouraged the capacity wars earlier this decade, and financed it.

The next issue is financing the large Boeing payment due in less than 12 months.

davidclarke
27th Aug 2019, 08:49
Rebranding Tiger will be putting lipstick on a pig. It will not fix the culture of this place which is one of its big problems. If VA know what is good for them, they would offload the wreck for the $1 they (over) paid for it.

Agreed. Off loading it for a Dollar would be cheaper than paying out lease costs and redundancies.

PoppaJo
27th Aug 2019, 22:38
Farewell MM

slice
27th Aug 2019, 23:31
315 Large lost‼️750 Villagers Out‼️Stormy times ahead‼️ The Kool aid is gone.

Scooter Rassmussin
28th Aug 2019, 00:46
Just roll it into QF group!!!

Ladloy
28th Aug 2019, 03:43
And as always, the results come out and the dreams and rumours are dead. Nothing ever happens.

Buster Hyman
28th Aug 2019, 04:17
Nothing ever happens.I know of 750 people who would disagree.

Berealgetreal
28th Aug 2019, 04:23
i live in hope that the new bloke has his **** in a pile and he leads us to the promised land, as opposed to the last bloke who lead us to the steps of the bankruptcy court.

What do you think now Snakecharmer?

I’ve always said give the new guy a go like you
would any new employee finding their way. What I’ve observed is that the new guy is the exact opposite to the old guy. I recall when GH was here, a lot of the cost cutting seemed to be slanted toward meals/accom and things that involved operational staff. Then there was the never business class issue. Wasn’t the end of the world for me personally.

I bet if you did a graph of sick leave vs months you could actually see it heading skyward in 2015. In the end it just turns into a massive false economy.

Fast forward to today and whilst its no holiday at least its heading in the right direction. Get people on side and they’ll bend over backwards for you. More bees with honey than vinegar as goes the saying.

Thats just my take on it. Obviously I’m not in the 750 group but am in the group that does a yearly medical and sim sessions with few to no options if it closes.

AerialPerspective
28th Aug 2019, 09:49
A good theory, and although I personally doubt the eventuation; Singapore couldn’t do a worse job of running the place??

You seem to forget the utter debacle of Tiger which they owned outright and then quietly offloaded so as to save face. I wish people would stop painting SQ as this great, brilliant and genius outfit... they have some damn incompetent people working for them as I learned during a cutover many years ago where they sent people who had no idea what they were doing and the handling airline had to set everything up and practically train the staff as well... they are profitable because they sit at the cross-roads of the world in a trading hub and have been able to capitalise on it for decades as well as capture a lot of Australia Europe traffic by fudging their location and operating through services along with the majority of their staff being employed at what is by any objective definition a Police State. They are not much chop really when it all comes down to it. They will not take over VA/TT because if they do they know now there will be no one else to palm it off to like they did with TT in order to save face once they make a hash of it again like they did with TT.

wheels_down
28th Aug 2019, 10:07
I can see why they deferred the upcoming order. I mean a billion for debt...a billion for Boeing. Wait a minute....they don’t have 2 billion.

smiling monkey
31st Aug 2019, 07:54
I can see where the rumours of the Ejets returning are coming from. When you're paying $45 mil per year in leasing costs to have them parked, and at the same time wet leasing Alliance to fly your regional routes, it makes more sense to bring them back and have VARA operate them. It's a no brainer in airline management 101.

VH-ABC
31st Aug 2019, 11:02
I can see where the rumours of the Ejets returning are coming from. When you're paying $45 mil per year in leasing costs to have them parked, and at the same time wet leasing Alliance to fly your regional routes, it makes more sense to bring them back and have VARA operate them. It's a no brainer in airline management 101.

No Airline Management would admit they were wrong. Ever.

Arctaurus
31st Aug 2019, 22:10
If the Ejets make a comeback, the return to service costs after storage are significant.

Arthur D
31st Aug 2019, 23:59

To bring them back would mean ignoring the reason VA pulled out of E-Jets in the first place. As wasteful as it seems, it is cheaper to pay the $45m than absorb the operating losses which would be incurred in running them.

Then there are the start-up costs, there goes another $12-$15m VA don’t have.

What surprises me is that VA have persisted in asking what they are for these aircraft rather than offer incentives to get them let out. Better to incur $10m in incentive costs and save $35m than the current scenario.

Definitely not the smartest guys in the room

coaldemon
1st Sep 2019, 00:47
They did try to sub lease some of them and actually got one painted up in Jetgo colours. That didn't even make it through the delivery flight before they went down. While the original reason to mothball the fleet didn't seem to have much thought behind it GH was well know to want to cut back on expensive crew. As for letting these out now talking to one of the leasing companies looking at the aircraft they are not in good condition now. It means the $45 Million in leasing costs is going to be nothing compared to the lease return cost. That is going to be well above that number.

Knowing that there simply aren't a spare 750 people in the head offices it does mean there is more to the redundancies then just the office. I hope thy keep going but there now needs to be some pretty drastic action and it looks like it is coming. Not too many things that can be done without causing financial or regulatory issues. As for the cash position it is good to see KN back in there. He is a good operator so hopefully he can keep it all looking good.

Wizofoz
1st Sep 2019, 12:03
Any meat on the rumour about another third party operating the E-jets?

wheels_down
1st Sep 2019, 12:33
What are they on 20 year leases? Ridiculous.

15 year lease would have then gone next year.

uhoh
1st Sep 2019, 23:28
Any meat on the rumour about another third party operating the E-jets?

Very Curious to know where this rumour was heard! I don't see VARA introducing the Ejet anytime soon.

​​​​​​There is only 4 EJets remaining in Nashville and of that.......non are airworthy and the costs to get them up and running are going to cost a fortune.

Icarus2001
2nd Sep 2019, 00:21
Are you including the Ejet that Cobham are leasing in that four?

uhoh
2nd Sep 2019, 00:26
Are you including the Ejet that Cobham are leasing in that four?

With the Cobham jet it's 5. But believe they are holding onto that one for a while longer.

regional_flyer
28th Sep 2019, 10:14
With the Cobham jet it's 5. But believe they are holding onto that one for a while longer.

Only slightly. Currently extended three months into early 2020, word is that particular one is gone after that.

uhoh
28th Sep 2019, 10:23
Only slightly. Currently extended three months into early 2020, word is that particular one is gone after that.

Interesting that they're giving it back. Are they replacing it with another aircraft?

Snakecharma
28th Sep 2019, 11:58
Wheels down - the first 190 was delivered in 2008. The leased ones were delivered 09/10

wheels_down
28th Sep 2019, 12:06
It appears the worlds slowest and dart board imagined fleet conversion is gaining pace. Another 737 in. 5 years into the project and not even half way yet. Did the board even sign off on this madness!

morno
28th Sep 2019, 13:53
It appears the worlds slowest and dart board imagined fleet conversion is gaining pace. Another 737 in. 5 years into the project and not even half way yet. Did the board even sign off on this madness!

Only been about 3 years, not 5. But given it was supposed to have been completed mid last year, yes, absolute madness.

davidclarke
29th Sep 2019, 01:32
Next 737 not due until mid 2021? Total transition to take 6+ years for just 18 aircraft.......what a waste of money it’s been.

Ladloy
29th Sep 2019, 01:50
Still waiting on OP's predictions.

The Baron
29th Sep 2019, 22:45
The way I heard it was that second hand depreciated E190s will be introduced to phase out the F100 fleet but they are going to go to Alliance. VARA won't get a look in even if they're still around. Alliance basing crew and engineers in Rocky to do more flying for Virgin commencing early November.

VH DSJ
30th Sep 2019, 07:22
The way I heard it was that second hand depreciated E190s will be introduced to phase out the F100 fleet but they are going to go to Alliance. VARA won't get a look in even if they're still around. Alliance basing crew and engineers in Rocky to do more flying for Virgin commencing early November.

That would mean Alliance having to put the E190 on their AOC. Who would be financing all that? I doubt Alliance would be phasing out their F100 fleet considering their acquisition of more Fokker airframes and spares recently.

If not VARA, and not Alliance operating the E190s, could it be another third party with Ejets already on their AOC operating it for VA?

DanV2
30th Sep 2019, 11:28

This rumour about the "so called saviour" SQ buying out VA happens every year and it turns out to be "fake news" everytime. Considering SQ in the last two financial reports had to report VA's losses making a negative impact on SQ group's own profits, I would not be surprised if SQ actually wanted out.

In addition, SQ has a mediocre track record at equity investments. VS, NZ/AN, TT, UK (Vistara) aren't exactly glowing references of being a decent equity owner. DL or NH, while not perfect themselves, are better equity managers.

There's probably a better chance of DL or NH taking over, and that's NOT likely to happen either.

Buster Hyman
30th Sep 2019, 13:38
Next 737 not due until mid 2021?Not according to the TT Twitter account.

PoppaJo
30th Sep 2019, 13:47
Buster that is just VUX. Which is the 6th and last one for a while now. Enters service next month

TimmyTee
1st Oct 2019, 01:35
Why are some getting so worked up over the 737 conversions being slowed down, when Virgin made the highly logical (and realistically, only available) decision to delay their Max replacements, months ago..?

LostWanderer
1st Oct 2019, 02:41
There's probably a better chance of DL or NH taking over, and that's NOT likely to happen either.

Agreed. DL just tied themselves up with LATAM in a 1.9 billion dollar investment. No chance of them touching VA in any way.
Except the chance of adding more Australia - LAX flying if VA were to pull back from the route (or out of that market all together) And now they have this stake in the LATAM group, it might free up some airframes to actually be capable of doing more Australia frequency and destinations if LATAM does a bit more current Delta flying under code share agreements.

uhoh
1st Oct 2019, 08:04
That would mean Alliance having to put the E190 on their AOC. Who would be financing all that? I doubt Alliance would be phasing out their F100 fleet considering their acquisition of more Fokker airframes and spares recently.

If not VARA, and not Alliance operating the E190s, could it be another third party with Ejets already on their AOC operating it for VA?

Pionair supposedly starting Ejet ops in March next year, could they be they supposed third party operator if not Alliance, VARA or Cobham.

On another note the lease holder of the remaining EJets has changed.

Capt. On Heat
1st Oct 2019, 12:10
This rumour about the "so called saviour" SQ buying out VA happens every year and it turns out to be "fake news" everytime. Considering SQ in the last two financial reports had to report VA's losses making a negative impact on SQ group's own profits, I would not be surprised if SQ actually wanted out.

In addition, SQ has a mediocre track record at equity investments. VS, NZ/AN, TT, UK (Vistara) aren't exactly glowing references of being a decent equity owner. DL or NH, while not perfect themselves, are better equity managers.

I think you misread my post - I never said saviour, if SQ want to takeover make no mistake it will be for their interests and not Virgin's. I also never said I thought SQ would be good or great at it or whatever, just that they want to.
Remember when AirNZ wanted Mossimo gone but SQ and Etihad said No leading to the AirNZ exit? If they wanted out then was the time.
Of course who knows what may happen, but it was in print and the ducks are lining up with what was seems to have been predicted considering the announced repurchase of Velocity (bring back the best money making thing to be attractive for a buyer) and now Propstar bowing out of NZ... (remember all the Q400 markings that were painted at the airport parking bays but then never used??). Yes propstar was losing money with a product that didn't suit the regular regional domestic travellers and don't bet against the home team etc, but they stopped before being able to get to a critical mass to have a legitimate chance at things......why? Really think it was just a 'dumb early 20's graduate management decision'?
To me it still looks like Singapore/Scoot is coming and Qantas/ANZ are preparing.

DanV2
2nd Oct 2019, 00:45
I think you misread my post - I never said saviour, if SQ want to takeover make no mistake it will be for their interests and not Virgin's. I also never said I thought SQ would be good or great at it or whatever, just that they want to.
Remember when AirNZ wanted Mossimo gone but SQ and Etihad said No leading to the AirNZ exit? If they wanted out then was the time.
Of course who knows what may happen, but it was in print and the ducks are lining up with what was seems to have been predicted considering the announced repurchase of Velocity (bring back the best money making thing to be attractive for a buyer) and now Propstar bowing out of NZ... (remember all the Q400 markings that were painted at the airport parking bays but then never used??). Yes propstar was losing money with a product that didn't suit the regular regional domestic travellers and don't bet against the home team etc, but they stopped before being able to get to a critical mass to have a legitimate chance at things......why? Really think it was just a 'dumb early 20's graduate management decision'?
To me it still looks like Singapore/Scoot is coming and Qantas/ANZ are preparing.

Velocity buyback at this stage is strongly rumoured to be debt funded. (Source:AFR September 22 - Title: Cheap money, keen banks to fund Virgin's Velocity move
), as none of the shareholders are expected to fund this buyback. If SQ "were actually interested", they would've funded the buyback themselves.

Despite analysts suggesting the shareholders fund the buyback, the major shareholders such as SQ, EY, HNA, etc are expected to remain "hands-off" in VA. The later two has financial problems of their own to do anything.
(Source: AFR September 16 - Title: Geoff Wilson says $700m Velocity deal highlights Virgin's value).

SQ and EY has been "Hands-off" in VA for a long while now, the later has financial issues of their own and SQ have been on record as not being happy with their VA investment for sometime now. The fact that SQ are more hands on in Vistara (also largely a loss making venture) by buying planes for them suggests that VA is NOT a priority for them.
As many (including myself) suggest on the many aviation forums across the internet, SQ aren't the "so called saviour" to an airline's financial problems when there are better equity managers out there like DL and NH.