PDA

View Full Version : Near disaster at OshKosh

Squawk7700
29th Jul 2019, 12:25
https://youtu.be/gh3wkfD_BJw

New pair of underwear to the Bonanza parking area pronto!

eckhard
29th Jul 2019, 13:48
Looks like the left main gear starts to collapse as the aircraft leaves the picture. Not surprising!

artschool
29th Jul 2019, 14:23
on other threads wake turbulence from the previous aircraft has been mentioned?

Asturias56
29th Jul 2019, 14:33
looked a bit fast to me................

George K Lee
29th Jul 2019, 17:03
Critical question: was the pilot an orthopedist or a periodontist?

machtuk
29th Jul 2019, 22:56

Oddly I thought the same thing, Dr Killers!
That type of App is unusual in normal Ops so I'd say the driver got caught out with a high ROD, low speed for the bank angle, bet he lost a few heart beats in that stunt!
I recall a small Jet that lost it also at Osh some years ago, can happen to those that are not ahead of their planes in unusual situations. Glad the guy got away with it other than a stuffed plane (Left leg folded up), hope it taught him a lesson though!

Capt Fathom
29th Jul 2019, 23:28

No, two check captains flying together! :E

Squawk7700
29th Jul 2019, 23:36
Oddly I thought the same thing, Dr Killers!
That type of App is unusual in normal Ops so I'd say the driver got caught out with a high ROD, low speed for the bank angle, bet he lost a few heart beats in that stunt!
I recall a small Jet that lost it also at Osh some years ago, can happen to those that are not ahead of their planes in unusual situations. Glad the guy got away with it other than a stuffed plane (Left leg folded up), hope it taught him a lesson though!

That would be this “mis-hap.” I was there when it happened. Lots of running around followed shortly after.

Arguably a similar approach caused the issue. Jack has the opportunity to go-around, however continued on an already unstable approach.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=b_CSX4H2Dh0

mattyj
30th Jul 2019, 07:28
To the casual eye that bonanza looked to be going quite fast past the camera..not much wind though

after further consideration the stall speed would be fairly high at that angle of bank

Duck Pilot
30th Jul 2019, 07:36
Wake turbulence in my opinion based on the very sudden increase in ROD and close proximity to the Tri Motor which has a very long high camber wing as well.

LH MLG drag brace failed maybe??? Nonetheless it was an excellent recovery by the pilot from the bounce to get the aeroplane back safely on the ground without any apparent additional airframe damage.

I must also admit that I a have a soft spot for the V Tail Bonanza, certainly the best single engine aircraft I have flown albeit many years ago.

machtuk
30th Jul 2019, 08:36
Wake turbulence in my opinion based on the very sudden increase in ROD and close proximity to the Tri Motor which has a very long high camber wing as well.

LH MLG drag brace failed maybe??? Nonetheless it was an excellent recovery by the pilot from the bounce to get the aeroplane back safely on the ground without any apparent additional airframe damage.

I must also admit that I a have a soft spot for the V Tail Bonanza, certainly the best single engine aircraft I have flown albeit many years ago.

Wake turb? Hardly! Wake turb causes an upset in the longitudinal axis (mostly) as it's a rotor zone. Ever been in wake Turb? I have a few times from high Alt to landing, it's a rough ride indeed & bloody scary in a jet! The guy simply let the plane get in front of him allowing for an excessive ROD!

Duck Pilot
30th Jul 2019, 08:56
Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, not saying that my humble opinion is right, wrong or anything in between.

Thought my comments would have stirred up a hornets nest, didn’t take long🤗🤗🤗