PDA

View Full Version : Aminta Hennessy calls time

kaz3g
29th Jul 2019, 10:05
Nice to see a clip of Aminta’s achievements in aviation on ABCTV 7:30 tonight.

40+ years of instructing, first woman solo from UK to Australia and many more accomplishments.

someone cleverer than me might be able to post it.

kaz

Cloudee
29th Jul 2019, 10:29
Nice to see a clip of Aminta’s achievements in aviation on ABCTV 7:30 tonight.

40+ years of instructing, first woman solo from UK to Australia and many more accomplishments.

someone cleverer than me might be able to post it.

kaz

Wasn’t Amy Johnson the first person to fly solo from England to Australia in about 1930?

On eyre
29th Jul 2019, 10:44
Wasn’t Amy Johnson the first person to fly solo from England to Australia in about 1930?
First person ? No that was Bert Hinckley in 1928.

Lead Balloon
29th Jul 2019, 10:46
Hinkler.

And because of minimum post parameters: Hinkler.

Lead Balloon
29th Jul 2019, 10:48
Aminta Hennessy was the first Australian woman to fly solo across the Atlantic in a single-engine aircraft.

Like This - Do That
30th Jul 2019, 02:24
Always enjoyed flying with Aminta - she was friggin' stubborn and demanding and acerbic but her method worked well for me. I wish her a happy and safe retirement.

Clare Prop
30th Jul 2019, 03:55
Here is a link to the clip

https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=345038379752680

I hope she will write a book!

Kagamuga
30th Jul 2019, 05:01
Ah! a few women did solo to Australia before Aminta

Ascend Charlie
30th Jul 2019, 05:47
Isn't she a Pom, not an Oz?

Clare Prop
30th Jul 2019, 07:07
Beryl Markham was the first person to cross the Atlantic solo East to West.

Roj approved
30th Jul 2019, 12:20
I remember being slapped with a ruler during a flight test, and the screaming, but, I probably deserved it and it certainly provided me with the drive to study and work harder to be better the next time so I wouldn’t get slapped or screamed at.

Unorthodox methods for sure, but it was the ‘80’s, and it worked. No harm, no foul.

Everyday at the flying school was amusing, it was like lDays of our Lives”, but a great place to learn so much more than just flying.

Well done on a fantastic career Aminta, you showed the bastards.

Lead Balloon
31st Jul 2019, 03:19
For those quibbling about the Aminta's 'first', please note that each of the adjectives - the words highlighted in my re-posted text - is important:

Aminta Hennessy was the first Australian woman to fly solo across the Atlantic in a single-engine aircraft.

Some women record holders flew single engined aircraft aircraft across the Altantic, but they weren't Australian. Some Australian women record holders flew a long way in single engined aircraft, but not across the Atlantic.

aroa
31st Jul 2019, 03:58
Bloody good read "West into the Night" by Beryl Markham. Certainly had some adventures in Africa, too.
Aminta...You have to write that book !
What will you fly in retirement.? Bet it wont be just a rocking chair.

Stationair8
31st Jul 2019, 08:42
A mighty achievement spending forty plus years in GA.

Would be interesting to know how many people she taught to fly, sent solo, ppl licence and CPL licence tests etc.

Manwell
1st Aug 2019, 06:49
One thing I got from Aminta is the line - People don't care how much you know 'til they know how much you care. I won't mention some of the other bits, but another great achievement was setting up AAFI, which probably died because it tried to promote grey hair more than Flying Instructors.