PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a flight in something interesting!

Brutha
24th Jul 2019, 21:08
Hi All,

I’m not quite sure if this is the right place to ask this - @mods, please feel free to move if not!

In the past I’ve been up in a Tiger Moth and Harvard from Duxford, both of which I enjoyed a lot. I fancy trying something a bit more exciting (and with some kind of historic / nostalgic / warbird link ideally, hence my posting here).

I’ve been looking at the Spitfire flights, and they are tempting! Just not sure about the fact it was never designed as a two seater, and it won’t be that authentic from that side of things. I’ve seen some websites offering Jet Provost flights, and that seemed quite interesting, but the websites seem to be a bit out of date, so not sure if they are still going.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Ideally I’m looking for something on Saturday 24th August that could be done as a day trip from London, but could sort out another trip at a later date.

Thanks for any thoughts!

Cheers

Brutha

134brat
25th Jul 2019, 10:42
Hi All,

I’m not quite sure if this is the right place to ask this - @mods, please feel free to move if not!

In the past I’ve been up in a Tiger Moth and Harvard from Duxford, both of which I enjoyed a lot. I fancy trying something a bit more exciting (and with some kind of historic / nostalgic / warbird link ideally, hence my posting here).

I’ve been looking at the Spitfire flights, and they are tempting! Just not sure about the fact it was never designed as a two seater, and it won’t be that authentic from that side of things. I’ve seen some websites offering Jet Provost flights, and that seemed quite interesting, but the websites seem to be a bit out of date, so not sure if they are still going.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Ideally I’m looking for something on Saturday 24th August that could be done as a day trip from London, but could sort out another trip at a later date.

Thanks for any thoughts!

Cheers

Brutha
How about a floatplane trip in the highlands of Scotland? Have a look online at Scotland on floats. Weather is a major issue but this summer has been ideal so far.

Brutha
25th Jul 2019, 10:51
How about a floatplane trip in the highlands of Scotland? Have a look online at Scotland on floats. Weather is a major issue but this summer has been ideal so far.

Thanks - it's an interesting idea! Perhaps they could give me a lift home after my trip south, I'm based pretty far out to the west of Scotland anyway :)

I have to admit, I did have something a bit more military in mind - but it's triggered me to consider other options, maybe helicopter or gliding etc - thanks!

Jn14:6
25th Jul 2019, 11:28
I think Flypast magazine a couple of issues back did a 'where to fly in a warbird' guide. Surprisingly lots to choose from!

Brutha
25th Jul 2019, 13:59
I think Flypast magazine a couple of issues back did a 'where to fly in a warbird' guide. Surprisingly lots to choose from!
Thanks, will try and track that down!

India Four Two
25th Jul 2019, 14:39
Brutha,

Don’t worry about the Spitfire not having been built as two-seater. Looking out at that elliptical wing as you manipulate the spade grip is unforgettable.

I had a 30 minute flight. Very expensive but worth every penny, not only for the memories but also the bragging rights!

Brutha
25th Jul 2019, 14:48
Brutha,

Don’t worry about the Spitfire not having been built as two-seater. Looking out at that elliptical wing as you manipulate the spade grip is unforgettable.

I had a 30 minute flight. Very expensive but worth every penny, not only for the memories but also the bragging rights!

Hehe, it is *very* tempting (I have been looking to see if there is availability on the day I have free). Even if they've played up the historical aspects of some of the airframes a bit - some of them basically appear to be a flying version of Triggers Broom!

scoobytopdog
25th Jul 2019, 18:11
Duxford Aerial Collective also do Mustang and Sea Fury flights.

tdracer
25th Jul 2019, 18:28
You'll probably need to come over to this side of the pond to do it, but both the Commemorative Air Force (formerly the Confederate AF before the name become un-PC) and Collins Foundation offer flights in WWII vintage aircraft - B-17, B-25, B-29, and P-51 (that I know of, probably others are available) in return for a 'donation'. I flew on the Collins B-17 about ten years ago and loved every second. At the time it was about $450 for a 30 minute flight. It's not exactly a big money maker - I did the math and with the ten paying passengers they did little more than cover the operating costs.
Check their web sites for details, and where they are going to be over the summer.

India Four Two
26th Jul 2019, 01:22
Brutha,

Concerning Trigger's Broom, I think there is a lot of truth in that aspect of the warbird business - particularly the "original Mk. I" that was dug up from a beach in France:

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/700x478/sangate_spit_f136c68a75b68494725343d3d3226b8a7ed4ed23.jpg

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/800x534/rsz_iwm_2016_051_116_52cfc4e7b5b8eaa4a53d06099fbd62aade0864d f.jpg

I had my Spitfire flight in New Zealand about eight years ago. I'm not sure of current prices, but back then, I could have flown from the UK and flown the Spitfire, for a total cost, including the airfare, that was less than the price of a joyride in the UK!

I've had rides in several two-seat warbirds but in only one of them - a P-51D Mustang - was I strictly a passenger. Whilst it was a memorable flight, I wouldn't do that again, unless it was a TF-51. Being able to fly the aircraft, even briefly, was an important part of the experience.

Brutha
26th Jul 2019, 13:12
Thanks all!

Being able to fly the aircraft, even briefly, was an important part of the experience.

Yes, definitely a selection criteria for me, too!

Duxford Aerial Collective also do Mustang and Sea Fury flights.

Sea Fury does sound interesting I must admit!

NutLoose
26th Jul 2019, 14:08
There is a 109 ( Bucheon) used during the filming of the Battle of Britain at Sywell but it's just had a ground loop.

https://www.warbirdflights.co.uk/

https://www.aerolegends.co.uk/experiences/fly-in-a-spitfire/

DaveReidUK
26th Jul 2019, 22:13
There is a 109 ( Bucheon) used during the filming of the Battle of Britain at Sywell but it's just had a ground loop.

I doubt they'd have let the OP fly it anyway. :O

Brutha
26th Jul 2019, 23:23
I doubt they'd have let the OP fly it anyway. :O

hehe, I’m always a bit surprised when anyone lets me near machinery of any kind to be honest ;)

NutLoose
26th Jul 2019, 23:34
its a two seater

treadigraph
27th Jul 2019, 05:26
Just a ding to the left wingtip and aileron, judging by how quickly Spitfire G-CTIX was back in the air after a much more damaging undercarriage collapse earlier this year, I imagine it'll be back on the flight line tout suite...

The three (soon to be four) Spitfire two seaters at Biggin are substantially original airframes as far as I know although all have been repaired after landing accidents at some point in their history.

Wander00
27th Jul 2019, 09:04
Well starts doing flights in a Piston Provost give me a nudge - more than happy to pay a fair price!

David Layne
27th Jul 2019, 11:50
Huey Flight Experience - Fly in a Vietnam War Helicopter (http://www.huey.co.uk/?fbclid=IwAR0aBtMjUBXS_Qtvr4VQRYhWnRTpcj2zQOcITIdU_E2OjgTkii 3zYmlaCpA)

Brutha
28th Jul 2019, 06:26
Huey Flight Experience - Fly in a Vietnam War Helicopter (http://www.huey.co.uk/?fbclid=IwAR0aBtMjUBXS_Qtvr4VQRYhWnRTpcj2zQOcITIdU_E2OjgTkii 3zYmlaCpA)

That’s an interesting one, thanks! Not available on the days I can make it, but will keep in mind for future.

i wonder if they’ll let us dangle some speakers out of the door and play “flight of the Valkyrie” as we fly over Blackpool beach?

India Four Two
28th Jul 2019, 06:34
play “flight of the Valkyrie” as we fly over Blackpool beach?

Only on days when the surf's up!

Asturias56
28th Jul 2019, 07:47
Hmmm - there ARE a lot of Vietnamese restaurants along the Golden Mile......................... and you never see any Americans there...............

DaveReidUK
28th Jul 2019, 09:02
Hmmm - there ARE a lot of Vietnamese restaurants along the Golden Mile......................... and you never see any Americans there...............

That's strange - go to Vietnam and it's full of Americans, who typically are warmly welcomed (though, to be fair, half the Vietnamese population weren't born when the war ended).

Brutha
28th Jul 2019, 12:32
Hmmm - there ARE a lot of Vietnamese restaurants along the Golden Mile.........................

Oops. In that case flying a Huey helicopter up and down the beach playing flight of the valkyrie might not be the best idea in the world!

David Layne
28th Jul 2019, 13:18
I flew in a Huey in Vietnam with a speaker system. It would play ghoulish sounds to intimidate the VC. It was all part of a program called " Chieu Hoi" which was to encourage defection of the VC and their supporters to the side of the Government during the Vietnam War. We also dropped leaflets. I have photos but can't seem to upload them.

India Four Two
30th Jul 2019, 04:52
I’m posting these photos on David’s behalf.

Here we are dropping leaflets over III Corps near Tay Ninh, you can just see Nui Ba Den in the background.
https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/2000x1361/img_3381_6673c2eeaec51091a4a40b09357b15f872c78c89.jpg

Tay Ninh is west of Saigon, near the Cambodian border. Nui Ba Den (Black Lady Mountain) is just visible behind the horizontal stabilizer of the Huey. It’s 3268’ high, the only high ground in this part of the Delta.

Here is another leaflet drop. You can see the neighborhood has been worked over by B52 strikes and Agent Orange.
https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/2000x1418/img_3382_00f9f7262e3a2c747a7f84a590d9fa1a86959b85.jpg

India Four Two
30th Jul 2019, 06:02
That's strange - go to Vietnam and it's full of Americans, who typically are warmly welcomed (though, to be fair, half the Vietnamese population weren't born when the war ended).

Yes, for the majority of Vietnamese, the "American War" is ancient history, but even for older people, there seems to be very little ill-feeling towards Americans. I first went to Vietnam in 1994. Of all the people I met, who had lived through the war, there was only one elderly lady who was anti-American.

David Layne
30th Jul 2019, 07:55
Thanks for putting my photos up. I returned to Vietnam in 2017 and 2018. Had a great time visiting places I knew 50 years ago, but my how it's changed, for the better I might add.

tdracer
31st Jul 2019, 00:35
Just saw an ad in an aviation magazine stating you could fly P-51 Mustangs in Florida (I presume they are two seaters). Of course you'd need to go to Florida.

India Four Two
31st Jul 2019, 01:29
Florida is my first destination after I win the lottery!
https://www.stallion51.com/mustang-flight-ops/orientation-flights/

tdracer
31st Jul 2019, 02:38
Florida is my first destination after I win the lottery!
https://www.stallion51.com/mustang-flight-ops/orientation-flights/

Yep, that's the one. The wife has been mentioning maybe going back to Florida with her sister's family (two young girls, who would love Disney World, and an engineer type hubby who'd love the Kennedy Space Center). If we go, I'll have to look into it. I'm not a pilot, but I've acquitted myself reasonably well on more than one occasion in a Boeing simulator - taking the controls of a honest to goodness Mustang - even for just a few minutes - would be awesome.

India Four Two
31st Jul 2019, 05:05
tdracer,

If Kennedy Space Center is anything like the Houston one, they will have a PC-based Shuttle Simulator. Do try it - great fun. I managed a slow-roll on final without crashing it, much to my surprise and to that of the onlookers!

Asturias56
31st Jul 2019, 08:26
If in Florida and Kennedy you must go to the Valiant Air Museum nearby - its awesome..............

https://www.valiantaircommand.com (https://www.valiantaircommand.com/)

tdracer
31st Jul 2019, 18:40
tdracer,

If Kennedy Space Center is anything like the Houston one, they will have a PC-based Shuttle Simulator. Do try it - great fun. I managed a slow-roll on final without crashing it, much to my surprise and to that of the onlookers!

I've been to KSC a couple times - the most recent about 5 years ago. I don't recall seeing something like that but will be sure to look if I'm there again. I was in Houston back in the mid 1980s - my hotel was walking distance from the Johnson Space Center. IIRC the Space Center was closed when I went over but at the time their Saturn V was just sitting outside - being a rocket geek I was in hog's heaven checking it out - but it was also depressing to see how corroded and deteriorated it was getting being exposed to the weather. When I heard they were going to move it inside and restore it I donated to the cause.

treadigraph
31st Jul 2019, 18:51
tdracer,

Piece of cake from 15 miles out and 45000'! :p

chevvron
31st Jul 2019, 19:20
Hi All,

Thanks for any thoughts!

Cheers

Brutha

Try asking on www.forums.flyer.co.uk; (https://www.pprune.org/www.forums.flyer.co.uk;) there are a lot of people on there with 'interesting' types.