PDA

View Full Version : Mark Smith Aviation Photographer & Journalist

The name is Porter
24th Jul 2019, 11:30
In devastating news, Mark died last night in Ballarat. One of the most generous people with his time. An incredible photographer and wonderful aviation journalist. You will be missed mate.

Tailwinds friend.

John Eacott
24th Jul 2019, 11:39
What a tragic loss: and such a great bloke :(

https://www.thecourier.com.au/story/6289922/another-fatality-ends-horror-day-on-ballarat-roads/

machtuk
24th Jul 2019, 12:46
RIP, very saddened :{

Squawk7700
24th Jul 2019, 13:16
Such a tragedy. We were talking at length last week about his upcoming plans for travelling frequently to cover stories on new aircraft types and interesting people to write about.
When I spoke to him he had just come back from a visit to Heck Field in Qld where he was test flying and writing about 3 new aircraft to the market and he was busily writing all about it. We had been working together on an article for August that he was most excited about and his passion for aviation was very obvious. He was also telling me about how he works part time as a journalist for the ABC which helped to keep him sane, as aviation can be very consuming. RIP Mark.

Dora-9
24th Jul 2019, 19:25
A true aviation enthusiast and a fabulous photographer. What a waste! RIP Mark.

Deceiver
24th Jul 2019, 23:48
A huge loss to the community.

A non-aviator mate of mine was friends with him on Facebook. Turns out his girlfriend is Mark's daughter. Stupid me didn't make the connection until now.
Terrible tragedy.

runway16
27th Jul 2019, 06:07
Funeral details ?

The name is Porter
27th Jul 2019, 08:07
I don't think they've been announced yet? As soon as I hear something I'll post.

junior.VH-LFA
30th Jul 2019, 10:44
There will be a celebration of Mark Smith’s life on Friday at 11.30am.

Ballarat & District Trotting Club,
cnr Bell and Sutton streets,
Redan (Ballarat).

The service will be followed by refreshments at the venue and swapping of many memories and tall tales of Mark’s many and varied exploits.

In respect of Mark’s ‘strong dislike’ of ties, men are requested to leave their ties at home.

In lieu of flowers, a flying scholarship in Mark’s name is being established through RAAus to help more young aviators get in to the sky.

Details will be available on the day.