PDA

View Full Version : Annoying advertising

safetypee
24th Jul 2019, 06:55
As a subscriber to New Scientist on-line edition; iPad 2, a recent update had introduced embedded flashing adverts and bottom of the page ‘app’ adverts.
Complaints to the NS management produced a sympathetic response and some improvement in the embedded adverts - potentially disturbing to anyone with vision disturbance.

The ‘app’ adverts continue. Some can be cleared by ‘Google’, but this does not remove the frame at the bottom of the page and new ads reloading; it’s location interferes with the flow of reading with page scroll down.

Briefly the lower ‘app’ adverts (Google related) have appeared on other apps.
Fed up with G; web browser changed to DDG, but this made no difference. Also using ad-block and trialed several others without success.
Further complaints to NS, awaiting response.

Any ideas / suggestions. Is this an app related issue or a more general problem.
Is this a hack or infection.
What might be done

geoff1248
24th Jul 2019, 11:51
I had a similar problem after upgrading to a faster broadband connection. Seemed to me that the extra speed just brought more adverts.
I solved most of the problem by using DuckDuckGo, a VPN and turning ALL cookies off. There are a few sites that wouldn't let me in unless I accepted cookies, their loss. The main sites that seem to need cookies are sites such as banks.
Anyway after doing the above adverts dropped substantially.
Give it a try, and I would love to know how cookies actually help me.

safetypee
25th Jul 2019, 06:33
Geoff, thanks.
Similar experiences with cookies, some success, but not those ads within this particular app.
Reset everything I could find.
Many leads to Google ad manager, all ad links turned off. Greater success; only adds from NS ‘to be come a subscriber’, which of course because I was already using the app !!!
Overnight some Google adds reset them selves and now reappear.

The issue appears related to Behavioural Advertising and Google ad manager, and only the NS app - still waiting for their reply.
What more might be done ?

Asturias56
25th Jul 2019, 12:49
It's like the WW2 radar wars - eventually the ads become so irritating someone comes up with a way of blocking them.. the the ad companies spend $$$ and time to get round it and then...............

Not even print media is safe - the first thing I do when I buy a paper or a magazine is to tear out the "supplements"

geoff1248
25th Jul 2019, 12:49
One other method which is passed on as information rather than as a suggestion.
Cancel your subscription making it quite clear to them why you have cancelled. You will then be able to find many other sites where you can obtain the e-magazine. Although the use of a VPN would be of use.
You would be surprised just how many e-magazines are available by this method, or so I am reliably informed.

jimjim1
25th Jul 2019, 23:53
I have used ad blockers for over 10 years. I did resist since I thought that the sites needed the revenue, however the mad ads that reduced the computer to uselessness forced my hand.

On a PC I use uBlock Origin. NOTE there are various apparently ublock... offerings. ONLY use uBLOCK ORIGIN. Ghostery is getting VERY good reviews.

Phones/tablets/iPads are more difficult since browser extensions have less access to the system.

I used the Opera browser on my Android phone for a few years since it offered an integrated ad blocker. I am now mostly on Firefox + the uBlock Origin extension. Superfast.

I have no significant experience of iPhones/Pads but after 10 mins googling I would try Adblock Plus for the Apple Safari browser and/or the Ghostery browser, or perhaps Opera.

I used Adblock Plus for years with no issues.

Be aware that blockers of any kind could interfere with your on-line banking or other financial transactions. Most blockers have an easy way of turning off blocking per site. Or use a different unblocked browser for such work. I have had few, but perhaps not zero, problems.