PDA

View Full Version : Why am I getting this wrong

double_barrel
22nd Jul 2019, 08:09
Hi All

Not sure of this is the appropriate forum...

I would appreciate help, I am repeatedly getting what look like very simple questions on load/CG wrong.

eg

What is the maximum allowable weight that may be carried on a pallet which has the dimensions of 35.5 x 48.5 inches
Floor load limit -76 lbs/sq ft
pallet weight 44 lb
tie downs 27lb

This looks so simple. My thinking:
pallet surface area = 11.95 sq ft
so max allowable weight 76 x 11.95 = 908.7lbs
subtract weight of pallet and tie-downs to give 837.7lbs

But the correct answer appears to be 786.5 ?

What am I missing?

Thanks

Ascend Charlie
22nd Jul 2019, 10:52
How tight are you pulling the tiedowns? Straight down? On a 45 degree angle?

But then the pilot steps into the aircraft, he weighs 250lb, and when he plonks his foot down, it covers half a square foot, so he is loading the floor to 500lb/sq ft. Even more when you look and see he is wearing his stiletto cowboy boots. The rules is stoopid.

Runaway Gun
22nd Jul 2019, 11:25
How many tie downs are used?

WASALOADIE
22nd Jul 2019, 11:37
Is that the total question? It's not linked to a linear load limitation as well. The pallet is not on battens of reduced dimensions? Otherwise as far as I can see, your calculations are correct and can't see where their answer comes from.

double_barrel
22nd Jul 2019, 15:16
Thanks, looks like it's the question not me.

That's the whole question! There are other q's which refer to running load limits. Some I get right, some I don't!

PDR1
22nd Jul 2019, 15:25
Hi All

Not sure of this is the appropriate forum...

I would appreciate help, I am repeatedly getting what look like very simple questions on load/CG wrong.

eg

This looks so simple. My thinking:
pallet surface area = 11.95 sq ft
so max allowable weight 76 x 11.95 = 908.7lbs
subtract weight of pallet and tie-downs to give 837.7lbs

But the correct answer appears to be 786.5 ?

What am I missing?

Thanks

Does anything in the question give you tie-down tensions? Depending on the tie-down configuration these (or components of these) might appear as increased "weight" on the pallet.

PDR