PDA

View Full Version : Help: Commercial Pilot with Indigo + "Profesional" Music on the Side

FreeFallingInReverse
19th Jul 2019, 19:59
I'll try to keep this as short as possible.

Hi there, I'm a 24 year old musician who's just finished architecture college looking to get into the Indigo Cadet programme.

My Class 2 Medical is done. Class 1 had some minor hitches, but it's on the way, shouldn't take long. Currently studying for the DGCA Met exam that's in less than a week.Wish me luck 🤞

I had a question for pilots working with Indigo: based on your weekly/monthly schedule would you say it's possible to sustain a music career on the side?

This would include gigging twice/thrice every two weeks and some practice with the band(s) as well as by myself (about 1-2 hrs a day). I play guitar and occasionally do some session work as well.

I'm asking since I haven't yet spend a ton of money and if there's a time to back out of this course in life, it's now.

The Cadet Programme should be ~ INR 90lac. About half of which my parents will give me as a soft loan and half I'll borrow from a bank. Both of which I intend to pay back in full.

Another question would be, based on the starting salary of a pilot, when would I expect to be able to pay off the loan by?

I'm aware that I can just continue to work in architecture on the side as well as do music and live debt-free. But the construction industry and real estate sector are doing horribly in the country (owing to a myriad of reasons), starting your firm isn't really an option and I whatever work I do in architecture is going to leave me both burnt out as well as with low pay. I can attest to this since both my parents are architects — they know what they're taking about and I've seen it first hand myself.

My two major concerns with commercial flying are basically: will it leave enough time and energy to meaningfully pursue music? And will I be able to pay back the money required to become a pilot in a reasonable amount of time?

Someone told me as well thay Indigo has a 2 Week On / 2 Week Off rotating schedule. Is this true?

Thanks and any extra info is welcome :)
​​​​