PDA

View Full Version : LAPL to PPL upgrade - FI restricted privileges

Happy Wanderer
18th Jul 2019, 09:15
FCL.210.A(b) states that LAPL holders upgrading to a PPL​​​​ 'shall complete at least 15 hours of flight time on aeroplanes after the issue of the LAPL, of which at least 10 shall be flight instruction completed in a training course at an ATO. This training course shall include at least 4 hours of supervised solo flight time...'.

Quick question - can an FI with restricted privileges authorise first solo flights and first solo cross-country flights undertaken by LAPL holders which are completed as part of the PPL course?

Many thanks,
HW

BillieBob
18th Jul 2019, 09:45
There is only one 'first' solo (and only one 'first' solo cross-country). LAPL holders will, by definition, already have done both and so the question is pointless.

rarelyathome
18th Jul 2019, 22:24
There is only one 'first' solo (and only one 'first' solo cross-country). LAPL holders will, by definition, already have done both and so the question is pointless.

I hope you stress to your students that there is no such thing as a silly question; your response here suggests not.

Happy Wanderer
19th Jul 2019, 10:21
I hope you stress to your students that there is no such thing as a silly question; your response here suggests not.
My thinking entirely 🙄

Whopity
21st Jul 2019, 07:53
I suppose when you see requirements like this This training course shall include at least 4 hours of supervised solo flight time...'.
normal logic goes out of the window. What is the purpose of this solo, what is it supposed to acheive? A LAPL holder could have several hundred hours of solo time by the time they upgrade to a PPL if they ever do. The only possible reason could be to facilitate the 300nm cross country if not already completed.

The fundamental purpose of the Limitation on the FI is to allow them to gain sufficient experience to judge when it is safe to send a candidate on Ex 14 which of course is only ever flown once. Solo nav is not quite so clear but generally meansd the first solo away from the circuit, hence the old ANO definition of cross country being more than 3 miles from the aerodrome. Again it will have occurredprior to first licence issue.