PDA

View Full Version : If Wishes Were Horses...

cavuman1
17th Jul 2019, 18:39
.. Beggars Would Ride! So true.

I good friend of ours has been fighting a very valiant battle against colon cancer. Two years of chemo- and radiation therapy as well as a subtotal colectomy and colostomy. Due to metastatic activity he is now facing removal of the remaining portion of his colon as well as his rectum. Ouch! That's the bad part.

The good part is that he has decided to reward himself with flight simulation. He's already invested in X-Plane, as well as top-of-the line Logitech stick, throttle quadrant, and rudder pedals. Now he needs a "super computer" to run everything. I suggested a Cray Frontier, capable of 1.5 exaflops (!), but our friend said that such an expenditure might cut into his beer budget. He is willing, however, to invest up to $3,000 for a capable machine. He's thinking a minimum of 8 gigs of RAM, an Intel I9 or faster processor, and a fast graphics card with on-board co-processor.

Have any of our expert members any suggestions? Were the magic wand to be waved, what top-notch system would you like to appear in your home office?

Thank you in advance for your ideas!

- Ed :p

Thrust Augmentation
17th Jul 2019, 19:17
Have a look at Jetline Systems (http://jetlinesystems.com/computers/)

Saab Dastard
17th Jul 2019, 22:02
At least 2, preferably 3 or more monitors, driven by probably 2 graphics cards. RAM is cheap, so why not have at least 16GB? Definitely have an NVMe SSD boot drive and, if possible, all flight sim data files & scenery etc. also on SSD. Avoid overclocking, just buy the fastest processor you can afford.