PDA

View Full Version : Big Win

Not Long Here
16th Jul 2019, 01:57
I see Big Win has departed. I always remember him as a very hard, but ultimately fair boss back in the day. And a stout defender of the value of MPA.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/obituaries/2019/07/14/air-marshal-sir-john-win-harris-leading-authority-anti-submarine/

Pontius Navigator
16th Jul 2019, 06:02
I see Big Win has departed. I always remember him as a very hard, but ultimately fair boss back in the day. And a stout defender of the value of MPA.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/obituaries/2019/07/14/air-marshal-sir-john-win-harris-leading-authority-anti-submarine/
He owed me a beer.😁
Good innings.

olddog
16th Jul 2019, 08:38
I first met Win when I was at AOTS South Cerney in 1966. I worked under his guidance for most of my 40 years in the RAF. He was a fair, but demanding, Boss and a champion of anything to do with MPA Ops. Lady Ina supported Win wonderfully. May they rest in peace together, they will be missed.

RubiC Cube
16th Jul 2019, 09:07
My first squadron boss. After a rather intimidating “arrival interview” at a squadron beer call where he suggested that I held a crew party the following weekend to which he should be invited, he proved to be a very supportive and fair boss. I left the kipper fleet after 4 years, but I bumped into him some 15 years later and he remembered my name as we had quite a long chat. Dare I use his toilet roll trick at my golden wedding speech next month?

MPN11
16th Jul 2019, 10:27
Farewell, Win. A great gentleman with a great personality. I got to know him quite well through his involvement at Bisley, and in his role as Chairman of the RAF Small Arms Association ... a determined competitor, as his obit reveals!

We crossed paths again during Gulf One, in the corridors of the Main Building Ops Room where I was working and he was DG Something on the Central Staff, and also exchanged a few messages.

Surprised to find he doesn't have a Wiki entry, nor details in rafweb.org.