PDA

View Full Version : France eyes up Boeing CH-47 purchase

chopper2004
15th Jul 2019, 23:10
The French are feasting their eyes on possible purchase of the Chinook, partly heavy lift and more so in support fo their Special Forces.

cheers

https://www.flightglobal.com/news/articles/france-eyes-chinook-helicopter-acquisition-459660/

Asturias56
16th Jul 2019, 07:23
About time - I guess it'll be the Russians next...................

SASless
16th Jul 2019, 11:27
Queen of the Skies! Hooks will be flying when we are all gone!

sandiego89
16th Jul 2019, 14:10
The Franco/German pooled fleet idea mentioned in the flightblobal article is interesting. CH-47 seems to be a good choice for many.

I am kind of surprised that a European solution for a true heavy helo came to nothing. Seems like it could have been a big winner for all involved- but then again it could have gone down the NH-90 route......

Lonewolf_50
16th Jul 2019, 15:48
Chinook is like the C_130 IMO. It's one of those designs that is just really good, useful, and stands the test of time (with the occasional updgrade here and there).

NutLoose
16th Jul 2019, 15:59
I supposed it will req RAF C-17's to transport them as well.

orca
16th Jul 2019, 16:09
One can only imagine that a Euro Heavy Lift helo would have resulted in the usual Euro narrative of ‘excellence through collaboration’ with the equally usual Euro performance, time and cost indicators to the contrary.

Asturias56
16th Jul 2019, 16:47
I guess most European countries have a limited use for heavy lift - there is a full road network everywhere and most of Europe can be driven across cross-country- its only when you go expeditionary or cross beaches you really need a lot of cargo heft.

Pontius Navigator
16th Jul 2019, 20:24
I guess most European countries have a limited use for heavy lift - there is a full road network everywhere and most of Europe can be driven across cross-country- its only when you go expeditionary or cross beaches you really need a lot of cargo heft.
Unless some one drops the bridges.

Evalu8ter
16th Jul 2019, 23:01
The abortive Euro Heavy Lift enabled the French and German governments to pump millions of Euros into Airbus to get the answer everyone knew from the start; the rest of Europe was already flying -47s, the -53K wasn’t far away, and a 3rd NATO heavy lift aircraft would therefore struggle to find a market outside the two originating nations and, ergo, be horrendously expensive to buy and operate (likely even more so than the -53K). Nice way of funnelling some money to Airbus though........

Asturias56
17th Jul 2019, 07:46
Unless some one drops the bridges.

Cheaper to have truck mounted barges or bridges than a very expensive Heavy lift helicopter tho'............... and you'd have to drop an awful lot of bridges to really screw things up in W Europe

Arclite01
17th Jul 2019, 08:52
Or someone drops the roads.................or the railways..............or the airfields

Airlift is only an element of any logistics grid.................

Arc

tdracer
17th Jul 2019, 23:27
Cheaper to have truck mounted barges or bridges than a very expensive Heavy lift helicopter tho'............... and you'd have to drop an awful lot of bridges to really screw things up in W Europe

Certain natural disasters can do that quite effectively and quickly - for example a big earthquake or flood.

SASless
18th Jul 2019, 01:30
I thought all it was needed to bring traffic to grinding halt was to declare a Bank Holiday!

Asturias56
18th Jul 2019, 14:25
helicopters can be used to move a small amount of critical equipment - how many would it take to support a full armored division without any surface transport for example?

You need some - but for a lot of European countries that number is small

The Sultan
18th Jul 2019, 15:39
Eva,

in what world is the 53K not far away?

Davef68
18th Jul 2019, 16:03
Presumably their experience with the secondedRAF ones over the last few months have shown them the neccessity of the CH47. On that basis, can UKPLC get a introduction commission from Boeing for the sale? :-)

NutLoose
18th Jul 2019, 17:29
What was their last heavyish lift, the Frelon?

PPRuNeUser0211
18th Jul 2019, 17:51
What was their last heavyish lift, the Frelon?
Believe so, though iirc frelon is in the 15T class, 4ish ton disposable I think, so Chinook is a whole other ball game.

Asturias56
18th Jul 2019, 17:57
Probably their recent adventures in Africa have shown the need for longer range heavier lift for special forces etc

switch_on_lofty
8th Aug 2019, 17:04
Slightly surprised people think that because France is in mainland Europe it doesn't need CH-47. Or was that tongue in cheek? By the same logic we haven't needed them since the Chunnel was completed...
​​​​​​Up to date article in Guardian re: French use of RAF CH-47 in Mali.
https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2019/aug/08/britain-to-join-uns-mission-in-mali-in-effort-to-quell-violence

Davef68
8th Aug 2019, 22:21
French mainly used the Frelon as a naval helicopter (both ASW and latterly transport)

TBM-Legend
8th Aug 2019, 23:26
Maybe they should buy the latest Chinese version of the Super Frelon, the Avicopter Z-18

Asturias56
9th Aug 2019, 08:09
"Slightly surprised people think that because France is in mainland Europe it doesn't need CH-47."

I think the point was that because they are in mainland Europe the need isn't as obvious or pressing - but once you go International you realise you need some - but maybe not a lot

ORAC
27th Feb 2020, 07:21
https://aviationweek.com/shows-events/air-warfare-symposium/french-air-force-studying-chinook-buy-caracal-replacement

French Air Force Studying Chinook Buy, Caracal Replacement

LONDON—The French Air Force is exploring the potential leasing of Boeing CH-47 Chinooks in an evaluation that could precede a potential heavy lift helicopter fleet purchase.

Commanders are looking at an acquisition of a heavy lift helicopter to fulfill a longstanding capability gap within the French armed forces and meet demands from the country’s special forces.

“The air force is looking to get a few aircraft through leasing to try out this sort of asset before proceeding with an acquisition,” Col. Bruno Paupy, deputy chief of plans at the French Air Force, told the International Military Helicopter conference here on Feb. 25..........

Asturias56
27th Feb 2020, 08:05
makes sense I guess - probably can hide it in another part of the Budget ........

bobward
27th Feb 2020, 14:54
The Italians, Spanish and Dutch have all been using them for years.....
Maybe M Macron doesn't want to be beholding to UKPLc any longer?

Mil-26Man
28th Feb 2020, 09:29
I hear that the French are backtracking on this story somewhat, saying now that the CH-47 is 'one of a number of options' it is considering. No doubt, they had a phone call from the Germans and Lockheed.