PDA

View Full Version : Returning to aircraft maintenance career?

Yorkiebarkid
15th Jul 2019, 20:49
Good evening,

20 years ago I left school and worked for a small company maintaining and repairing single and twin piston engined light aircraft. I enjoyed the work. Mechanical and electrical engineering have always been a true love of mine. For various reasons, after approx 6 years I left the industry and have run several of my own companies since. None of them related to aviation.

I'm considering a return to the industry although I'd like to work for a larger company with better career building prospects. I'd like to obtain my B licence and build on my qualifications.

I'm very practical, fast to learn and was always the one that was given the tricky problems and repairs as I excelled at them compared to the other engineers I worked alongside. I'm excellent at diagnosis and problem solving.

Would I be best funding my training and examination for my B 1.1 myself and then look for a job or would I be better getting a job and carry out the training and examination whilst working? What is the industry like nowadays? Are companies looking for licence/unlicensed engineers?

Any hints tips and tricks for someone like myself?

Thanks.

greatwhitehunter
4th Aug 2019, 19:47
Hello Yorkie, the difficult part is getting into the industry. The CAA will let you sit all the exams and gain all the modules, but unless you can present a record of recent and wide enough ranging experience you can not obtain the licence. The modules only last so long if you do not get the licence, ten years if my memory serves. Check the CAAs EGLD for the current details. Having the modules will help but without experience will not guarantee you a job. Some companies sometimes take on mechanics who can display a 'familiarity with engineering', this is where the modules would help, alongside hand skills of course. These companies are few and only sometimes hire in this way. The most certain way in is bu doing an 'Ab-Initio' course providing practical training, experience and module tuition over a period of time. These tend to be full time and are expensive. Alternatively there may be somewhere which will let you work as a volunteer, no pay, in exchange for helping you to fill in your CAA experience record. If you do this make sure that a licenced engineer signs for each job as you go, don't leave it for another day as it won't happen. So it's not easy - getting the essential experience is the problem and takes time - years.I wish you the best of luck if you go ahead.
I have just retired after 48 years and enjoyed it all, Good luck.

Jackjones1
5th Aug 2019, 13:42
Retired after 44 years in the industry & would I think of going into maintenance now I really don’t think so ..... companies these days all they are after is experience & in one of the major British airlines there is a queue of mechanics wanting to do exactly the same as you & get their b licence & yes some will get it but there won’t be a type course at the end of it!!
Pay is poor unless you are licensed & in my way of thinking try getting into general aviation on a smaller scale but be prepared to work as a volunteer or low pay!!