PDA

View Full Version : FLAPS 1 on Boeing 757

ProPax
14th Jul 2019, 17:45
I just watched a video on YouTube showing a 757 landing at Reykjavik and I noticed how tiny FLAPS 1 is. A small piece of aluminium about 3 meters long just barely pulls out of the wing by what looks like 3-5cm. Flaps are supposed to increase the wing area at low speed to provide more lift. And full flaps are impressive. But THAT!? It's just nothing. It increases the wing area by a few square cm. How is this even a setting? What's it for?

deltahotel
14th Jul 2019, 18:51
Most of the benefit of the F1 setting is that the slats move to the mid position. FWIW on the 767 selecting F1 only moves the slats.

ProPax
14th Jul 2019, 19:48
Oh... I didn't think about that. Thank you.

Are there planes that have separate controls of flaps and slats? (Gosh, who invented those names!)

deltahotel
14th Jul 2019, 22:28
757 and 767 have separate control only using an alternate (non normal) system. Any other ac type I have no idea!

PDR1
15th Jul 2019, 06:47
Not all flaps increase wing area - some just change the airfoil and alter the camber, and some allow increased lift coefficients by using slots between the flap elements to keep the airflow attached at angles where it would have otherwise detached.

PDR

Webby737
17th Jul 2019, 15:23
Oh... I didn't think about that. Thank you.

Are there planes that have separate controls of flaps and slats? (Gosh, who invented those names!)
The early Tridents had separate levels for the flaps and slats (droops as HS called them), the confusion between the two levers was thought to be one of the contributing factors to the Staines accident.
I can't think if any other aircraft with separate controls.