PDA

View Full Version : Pilot Aptitude

topgun172
6th Aug 2002, 14:22
Ok, heres my situation...

Attended OASC for pilot scholorship, however failed to get a high enough mark for pilot aptitude in the tests, in my review i was told that i only missed out by a little, but the tests after the 5 main pilot ones were not so good. Ummmmm
Could anybody tell me if you just have to score high enough on the first 5 tests (CVT, Instument compre, sensory motor, digital recall, vigilance) or do all other tests that follow (Maths, shapes, bearings, numerical tables) contribute to your aptitude for pilot as well?
How likeing is it then that they will accept another application, having failed first time?

I'd love some help on this one, thanks

Regards

Trg System Victim
6th Aug 2002, 17:27
Can not answer the first part, but they will accept a second apllication after 12 months.

Do remember though you can only take the test twice. That is 2 times in your life. If you are ever tempted by going to the airlines they may ask if you have ever taken the tests, if so they will take the results.

Ring up and ask OASC. They are human, and generally quite helpful. Do not ring on a friday afternoon though!

Have a long think if you really want to join the forces. Take a long cool look at your reasons before re-applying. Use the time you now have to reflect on where you were weak, and do not dwell on your recent visit to OASC. That is the best advice I can come up with.

Decision Altitude
7th Aug 2002, 11:06
I was around D of R&S at the weekend and the word is 22 of those who attended your OASC failed the apptitudes and were sent home on the first day.

Saying that though, the Cadidates Mess are pretty unimpressed with the behaviour of some of the individuals on your attendance, perhaps the youthful high spirits were evident just a little too soon :(

Best advice is to get as much flying done as possible. There really is no substitute for helping with Instrument Interpretation etc. Unfortunately, aptitude is by nature something you either have or not, but can be improved with some hands on if thats possible.

Dont worry about how many times you can attempt the tests, Ive done them more than twice but not within 12 months of one another.

Best of luck if you give it another shot, rgds

DA

ShutUp and Drive
7th Aug 2002, 18:01
Have been through the mill 3 times and have taken all tests on all 3 occassions. Have been partly successful all 3 times too so must have been doing something right.

All branches do at least SOME aptitude testing so I can only assume that all the test results are looked at. At the end of the day if your pilot scores are equal to someone else's and you have weaker scores on the things like maths, reasoning etc, it doesn't take a genius to work out who they will take...

As far as the non-pilot tests are concerned, get out some IQ and logic test type books from the library and work on that mental and written arithmetic. Learn all your squares and roots up to 25ish and rally work hard on the time/speed problems. Again, maths tutors and libraries could help. This website is littered with threads on OASC so get out there and find them... The omly person who can help you is YOU. Work hard, use your noggin and you will give yourself the best chance.

topgun172
7th Aug 2002, 21:52
OK thanks for your help guys its most appreciated, i take your point about the non pilot stuff because thats were i mucked up!
From what you have said i take it that the first 5 tests, as above are for the pilot aptitude and that determines your suitability for pilot?
Almost have a ppl and have about 60hrs seperate flying so i will take notice of your point at looking at the instruments!
Thanks again

lxav8or
8th Aug 2002, 17:53
Just a quick point, have you considered all of thr armed services, I am no doc or selection ace but I believe the standards may differ between them. Try the AAC SO3 Officer recruiting at DAAVN Middle Wallop who may be able to advise you. Tel No available fro directory enq, Ask for a clerks No at the Directorate of army Aviation who will point you to the correct No. Best of luck.

BlueEagle
8th Aug 2002, 23:56
Ixav8or - Not sure if this still relevant but in the dark days of Biggin Hill there was no difference between the three services for selecting pilot training material from the results of the tests.

The Wg Cdr at the time said that, as far as pass/fail went, the line was drawn the same for everyone, the streaming was left to the individual services and usually took place during basic flying training.

Just my 2d. worth and possibly out of date by now?

Talk Reaction
9th Aug 2002, 15:18
Bear in mind that you now have a VERY good idea of EXACTLY what is in the tests and you seem far more aware than I ever was about which ones are which!!! Have to say I was under the impression that you could take the tests 3 times but as has been mentioned already, get the information direct from the horses mouth at OASC. Definately do not get put off by your first visit, the number of pilots that failed first time and took other branches is not inconsiderable, and the vast majority of them have done very well subsequently.
Two last bits of advice, notwithstanding the above be very wary of taking a branch you dont want on the promise of branch change later in your career, it may never happen, the service will take what it needs and that may not be what you want.
Secondly there is a lot more to pilot selection than aptitude tests (ie the other 2/3 days of officer selection). You didn't say if you did the whole selection process or left early.... Use the experience you have had to improve the all round standard of your candidancy (not sure if that's a real word?). Never rest on your laurels of the elements you passed, you may well be competing against a much higher standard next time.
GOOD LUCK ;)

topgun172
9th Aug 2002, 20:20
Thanks for all your advice its made me think!
Im definately applying for pilot again, this time a direct entrant so the competition might not be as hard as the pilot scholorship, who knows. Its quite reasuring to hear that some pilots failed their first attemp at aptitude, i think with some hard determined work on the arithmetic side of things i should do ok next time.
Any idea of how they will look at my application for pilot again, given that i filed the aptitude first time?(Didnt do rest of selection)

Thanks for your time guys, its good to hear from understanding people

Regards