PDA

View Full Version : FAA SAFO Guidance to Manual flying proficiency

sheppey
12th Jul 2019, 15:36
https://www.faa.gov/other_visit/aviation_industry/airline_operators/airline_safety/safo/all_safos/media/2017/SAFO17007.pdf

A useful guide to airline pilots who like to keep their hand in

Mach E Avelli
13th Jul 2019, 04:14
Recommendations and 'guidance' are all very well and some operators will take these on board.
But there are plenty of others that won't. When training is too cost-driven or time-driven, pilots will only get the bare minimum to pass a type rating or check ride.
It is really up to regulators to come out and specify mandatory minimum times to be allocated to manual flight at each stage of training and checking. They already set minimum times for type ratings, line training etc
The FAA says they don't need to see operators specify a minimum amount of manual flying on the line, but why not? We have a minimum number of instrument approaches in 90 day periods etc. Surely in most operations it would be possible for pilots to fit in an hour a month without using the automatics?
There was a a time not that long ago when we had very basic automation. By today's standards the early jets with no autothrottle and limited vertical modes would be seen as a handful, yet they were actually flown very safely in some demanding conditions by quite normal pilots. Manual flying raw data is not that bloody hard ....unless you don't practice.

AmarokGTI
13th Jul 2019, 05:05
Standard Phraseology / Standard Call Outs are so important. The US operators are often not the best at this. I don’t mean that in a broad and discriminatory manner - it’s just my opinion based on what I have seen and heard over the last 10-12 years. I acknowledge that I have not seen or heard everyone.

The reason for phraseology being so important is simple.

If he/she says “(phrase)” then it means “(FCOM definition)”

”on the go”
”shooting the missed”
”going again”
”go”
”pull up”

...all of those can be ambiguous.

In addition to standard phraseology, tone is helpful.
Don’t mumble “go around” or “stop” under your breath. They are positive commands and there may not be time for them to be repeated or clarified.

Australopithecus
13th Jul 2019, 07:09
Standard Phraseology / Standard Call Outs are so important. The US operators are often not the best at this. I don’t mean that in a broad and discriminatory manner - it’s just my opinion based on what I have seen and heard over the last 10-12 years. I acknowledge that I have not seen or heard everyone.

The reason for phraseology being so important is simple.

If he/she says “(phrase)” then it means “(FCOM definition)”

”on the go”
”shooting the missed”
”going again”
”go”
”pull up”

...all of those can be ambiguous.

In addition to standard phraseology, tone is helpful.
Don’t mumble “go around” or “stop” under your breath. They are positive commands and there may not be time for them to be repeated or clarified.

Are you replying to the correct thread? Your post is gibberish in this context. Clear enough?

Capn Bloggs
13th Jul 2019, 07:32
Your post is gibberish in this context. Clear enough?
That's a nice way of putting it. :cool:

Capn Bloggs
13th Jul 2019, 07:34
Sounds fair.