PDA

View Full Version : Graham Vavangas

finalchecksplease
11th Jul 2019, 14:34
For those who might not know Graham Vavangas, working before his retirement for Bristow Helicopters was killed in a bike crash in Russia a couple days ago.

Daily Mail article (https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7231625/British-motorcyclist-killed-head-crash-tanker-truck-Russia.html)

RIP Graham

ec155
11th Jul 2019, 16:14
Really sorry to hear of this. I worked with Graham for many years in the UK and overseas and always found him to be extremely professional, a true gentleman and a pleasure to work alongside. He was also great company outside of the normal work environment.
Condolences to his family.
RIP Graham

industry insider
11th Jul 2019, 23:23
I was shocked and saddened to see this on FB. Enjoyed working with you. RIP Mr. Gra’haam.

212man
11th Jul 2019, 23:59
Such sad news. I well remember a call out late afternoon from STBY for a technical intervention on the Kittywake. Everything slipped right and we had to advise on deck that we either flew back empty or would take the intervention crew to Edinburgh- which we duly did. After putting the Aircraft to bed we arrived and got to the Airport Thistle around 01:00 and were delighted to find the bar still open. Had a few beers with the night post crew (or was it the BA red eye - hard to remember now?) and retired around 03:00. Walked into breakfast in our Bristow tracksuits and flying boots, unshaven with finger brushed hair - to a few curious looks. Then spent the morning waiting to hit the FDP limit while watching TV. Something called the Braer was busy running aground in Shetland! Then flew home. Great 24 hours. Sorry Graham😞

PS. Just realised he was ten years younger than I am now, and I thought he was middle aged! Tempus fugit !

treadigraph
12th Jul 2019, 08:39
Flicking through a very old copy of Pilot last night and read an article by Mike Jerram about a trip he did with the Blue Eagles. No 3 was "Avgas" Vavangas, assume that would be the same chap?

Same again
12th Jul 2019, 09:52
Yes it was. Graham flew with the Blue Eagles (Sioux AH1) as No.3. I knew Graham well in the AAC. He was parachute trained prior to Army flying (with 562 Para Sqn RCT I believe) and was very fit leaving everyone in his wake on BFT's. We flew Gazelle together in West Berlin at 7 Flt AAC in the late 70's. I once asked Graham the origin of his unusual surname. He told me it was Scottish and was an amalgamation through marriage of the Vav and the Angus clans.

Some years later I was about the leave the Army and had an interview with Bristow at Redhill. The chap interviewing me was John Black and he asked me if I knew anyone who worked for Bristow. I mentioned Graham whom I had lost contact with but knew he had joined Bristow. "Oh so you know Captain Vavangas - would he give you a reference?" I said that I had not seen Graham for years but hoped that he would. John left the office and came back with Graham. I started work there shortly afterwards and renewed my friendship with Graham in various 'interesting' parts of the world with Bristow International. RIP Avgas - see you at the final RV. Get the beers in.

Impress to inflate
12th Jul 2019, 11:07
RIP Graham, know him from the late 70's and last met him in Stavanger when he was the Bristow "Rep" for Norsk, a true Gent

Fareastdriver
12th Jul 2019, 18:53
A great bloke whom I first knew when we kicked off the S76. A stickler for procedures and SOPs so I would just sit back and let him get on with it.

Later on in life he became the boss of Viet Nam and the reports I got back suggested that he had mellowed into a first class operator. He was promoted through the system and he deserved it.

Goodbye Mate. I hope to make your final farewell.

Scotsheli
13th Jul 2019, 09:57
I was asked to post a request for funeral details for some ex-Bristow colleagues; if Graham's family are happy for others to know of course. Will check PM's.

Fareastdriver
3rd Aug 2019, 07:05
A nice write up about Avgas in the Press & Journal including funeral details.

https://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/fp/news/aberdeenshire/1809306/beloved-north-east-pilot-dies-in-tragic-motorbike-accident/