PDA

View Full Version : Whats needed to become a pilot?

Darren M
6th Aug 2002, 11:15
Hi,
I have just left school and I am waiting for my results:(
I was just wondering what is needed to become a pilot in the UK.
Do you have to have a PPL before you apply?
Do you have to have a minimum grade in GCSEs?

Thanks

Regards

Darren

Elvis21
6th Aug 2002, 11:31
You dont need any formal qualifications to become pilot, you just have to pass all the required exams and tests. You cant actually learn to fly until you are 16.
However, if it is sponsorship you are looking for then you will probably need at least 5 GCSE including maths and scinece and 2 A-levels.

foghorn
6th Aug 2002, 12:32
Two routes to being a civilian pilot and what you need to succeed on them:

Sponsored by an airline: That special something that will get you chosen out of the tens of thousands that apply.

Self-sponsored: Access to large amounts of cash, either personally, through rich relatives or an understanding bank manager.

Don't forget the armed forces route though.

Cheers!
foggy.

Captain Chaos 747
6th Aug 2002, 23:46
I will sum up all you need in one word "MONEY".

You can learn to fly at any age but cannot go solo until your 16 and you can't hold a licence until your 17.

cheachez
8th Aug 2002, 15:16
a lobotomy!

ETOPS773
8th Aug 2002, 15:39
Money,Determination and a little bit of luck.

pkos
8th Aug 2002, 18:02
My recipe is:

1.Have some relatives in an airline (the most important your relatives are, the more money you could save)

2. Make some friends involved in different companies, be glad with them even if the are a bunch of $%"holes.

3. Be nice with every american girl you meet, if thing goes bad, a green card could be very handy

4. Don´t waste your money in an expensive school, after you finished you´ll get the same license of someone that have gone to he cheapest, and you will save money to make some cuality flight time overseas.

5. Participate in some relaxation courses, it will be very usefull if after 2 or 3 years you are still unemployed.

(I´m just kidding, but think about it) ;)

Darren M
11th Aug 2002, 20:04
Hi,
Does that mean you DONT have to have a PPL if you are sponsored by an airline?
Also how do i find out if an airline is recruiting?

How do I find out if any airline is starting a cadet scheme?

Thanks Alot

Regards

Darren

biped
11th Aug 2002, 20:47
I don't think you have to have a PPL. Doubt it would hurt though.

You would, however, have to have A levels, and a degree wouldn't hurt either.

Assuming you've just done your GCSE's, by the time you've finished the above they might be sponsoring again.

As far as finding out if they're recruiting - ring em. Or look here.

Good Luck!

Lucifer
11th Aug 2002, 20:54
Sometimes you do require a PPL and other companies do not require it. Your best bet for finding out about cadetships will be on these pages here, or at the back of 'Flight International' magazine, a weekly aerospace news publication that you can flick through in WH Smith. Check out GAPAN and Air League for other sponsored routes available from these trusts and bodies.

Bear in mind that there is a great deal of competition for sponsored spaces, and it is worth doing all that you possibly can to make yourself appear to be the best candidate out there - however much some may oppose it on these pages, a degree in the current climate, if you are up to it and interested in what you study, may be a wise option for you.

You say you have left school, but what level do you mean? Left sixth form of left after GCSEs? If you are not getting minimum grade GCSEs required for sponsorships, yes you can get in with money, but are you really sure that you are able to cope with an intense course and a fairly numerate career?

Good luck.

waspie
11th Aug 2002, 21:36
No you do not need a PPL. Dont worry about that. It normally costs around £50,000 to get your commercial licence. Then, you can write to airlines. I will send you an e-mail explaining in more detail what you need to do.
Mark

Elvis21
12th Aug 2002, 10:21
A PPL is by no means necessary but some sort of lesson definately is. You need to find out if you actually like flying, after all, some people do not take to it.
Also, I would get your Class 1 first, so you then know if your body can cash the cheques your mind is writing.

All the best:D

RVR800
12th Aug 2002, 10:41
1. A HUGE AMOUNT OF MONEY AND TIME
2. NO FAMILY
3. OBSESSED WITH FLYING
4. MORE MONEY AND TIME

Maxiumus
12th Aug 2002, 15:54
Money/luck/time/a thick skin/unwavering optimism/determination/a printer (for all the CV's you will print)/luck/more luck

timzsta
16th Aug 2002, 09:38
Airline sponsorships I think are a thing of the past. September 11 has once again highlighted that however remote the chances of getting an airline jobs, mugs like me still continue to splash out huge wods of cash on their training. Airlines I think now will no longer want to put their own money into ab initio training given that profit margins are getting smaller and smaller.

So what you need to do is:
1. Get a Class 1 medical (cost about £500) from the CAA. You have to go to Gatwick to do this. Annual renewal fee (£85).

2. Get a PPL (cost varies if you do it in UK or with a JAA approved Flight Training Organisation overseas). Cost will be in order of £5000-7000 pounds. You also need to pass six exams and get your Flight Radio Telephony Operators Licence (another exam £75 fee and a practical).

3. Complete your ATPL theoretical course. Can be done full time or by distance learning. Cost £1700 - £2500 depending on which company you hand you dosh too and whether you go full time or distance learning.

4. Complete the remaining flying you need to get your ATPL, which including getting and Instrument Rating will probably set you back well over £20,000, maybe over £30,000.

5. Pray for a job so you can pay back your debts. If you cant you need to have adopted a rich father prior to stage 1.

Good luck - I have been going over 2 years, still at stage 3.

READY MESSAGE
17th Aug 2002, 19:33
There are 3 vital ingredients:

1) Money
2) Determination
3) Lots of good luck

The more you struggle with 1, the more 2 you'll gain.

Best of Luck