PDA

View Full Version : Flying obscure charters in Europe

davidjohnson6
5th Jul 2019, 20:31
With the grounding of the 737 Max, obscure ACMI charter airlines in Europe are presumably finding that for summer 2019, business has never been better while holiday companies and certain airlines find themselves short of lift
The spotter in me would like to find a way of flying on these obscure ACMI airlines by design at modest cost rather than by accident - i.e. buying a ticket more than a few days in advance knowing with high probability that it'll be an obscure charter carrier, not just spending a day waiting around at Palma de Mallorca and buying an expensive last minute ticket in the hope that FR24 shows something unusual will turn up in 2 hours time. Airline employees in peak season have better things to do with their time than have some crazy deranged spotter pestering them for details of which flight a certain reg is planned to operate :-)

I've made use of airfleets.net / planespotters.net to get registration details of airlines in question, had a look through FR24 to see where these aircraft have flown in the last few weeks, and then tried to make dummy bookings in the hope that there will be the desired "operated by XXX airline" message but this doesn't always work - unless one is willing to spend big quantities of money to buy a ticket with just a few days notice. Anything involving flights outside Europe (plus Turkey and Morocco) is a no-no because of either safety or too far from home

Beyond airlines,net and ch-aviation, are there any other websites where planned use of obscure airlines in advance is discussed or info might be available with a fairly good signal:noise ratio ?
Amongst others, I'm particularly interested in Fly2Sky, Cobrex, ALK, Jonika, Wamos, HiFly (not HiFly Malta), Air X, Air X Germany, Maleth, Freebird Europe and Smartlynx Europe

Any advice would be much appreciated

rog747
6th Jul 2019, 06:19
TUI uses Freebird for some years now on their weekly Turkey flights from at least BRS EXT BOH and NWI iirc, and as they have 9 MAX a/c out of the fleet as you know they are subbing in
many carriers such as Olympus A321 and ASL France 738.

TCK has several Smartlynx aircraft on lease all summer based at a few airports (BRS is one)

The guys in the TUI Jet2 and Thomas Cook airline pages seem to know how the leases are going - suggest you post there?

The Balkan Holidays BRS-Bourgas flight has seen MD-82's and 737-400's recently

Norwegian at LGW are subbing all summer (due 787 problems) Wamos A330 HI-fly A340 Privilege Style 777 and Evelop A330 on their MIA MCO ORD DEN and one of the JFK flights - all of which are on flash sale fares right now.