PDA

View Full Version : CASA exams

jsfboat
5th Jul 2019, 18:56
I was reading that to convert my FAA ATP to CASA ATP, I have to take the AASA, AFPA, APLA, and AHUF exams, or the AALW, AASA, AFPA, AHUF, AMET, ANAV APLA exams. Does anyone have a source to buy the study material? Preferably something I can download and study while I'm at work. What's a realistic time frame to get these done? I figure for each visit to Australia; I'll take two exams if possible. I want to get this conversion done ASAP. Thanks all for any info.

gulliBell
5th Jul 2019, 21:20
Where did you read that? My reading of the requirements says the only written exams you need are AHUF, AOSA and IREX.

ersa
5th Jul 2019, 22:04
Read this

Overseas Convert | Advanced Flight Theory (http://aft.com.au/cms/?page_id=125)

Burleigh Effect
6th Jul 2019, 00:04
Where did you read that? My reading of the requirements says the only written exams you need are AHUF, AOSA and IREX.

Correct.

Part 61 MOS, Schedule 4, Section 3, Appendices 3.1 (CPL) and 3.2 (ATPL). https://www.legislation.gov.au/Details/F2018C00657/10ba7cfc-a431-4533-bd7d-535213a36887

There are two ways you can do it, pros and cons for each depending on the time and money you have available.

1. Convert your ATPL to CASA. You will ‘only’ have to do the three exams but you will need to do the flight test in an approved sim (multi-crew). There’s a few other threads detailing this. It is expensive.

2. Convert your CPL to CASA, similar exams although at the CPL level. You can then do your flight test in an ‘approved’ acft - complex GA piston, SE or ME. You would need to do your MECIR as a seperate flight test. Then you could undertake the seven ATPL subjects you detailed above. This would give you a CPL with ATPL theory credits, which is the minimum for getting hired by most larger organisations. Once employed, your new organisation should put in place the flight test etc for your ATPL. This is a much longer avenue but is likely much cheaper.

As as I said, depends on what you have more if, time it money. Two other pints, CASA exams are a very different beast to FAA ones. Not better or worse, just very different. Finally, I can not recommend Nathan at AFT highly enough (link above), whichever way you decide to go I would strongly recommend you at least speak with him.

This is my take on this, happy to be corrected.

Good luck and hope this helps

Cheers

BE

PS if you do not have an ARN yet, get it as a matter of priority and also make sure you can accurately account for the last 10 years of your life, jobs, addresses etc.