PDA

View Full Version : An American to Oz or New Zealand

jsfboat
3rd Jul 2019, 07:10
Any insight on the possiblity of an American working in either Australia or New Zealand? What's the job situation there? I'm interested because I am not interested in doing a long distance and commuting thing with someone who's in aviation there. I have 4800 total time, am a B737 PIC and have widebody experience.

crosscutter
3rd Jul 2019, 07:17
Any insight on the possiblity of an American working in either Australia or New Zealand? What's the job situation there? I'm interested because I am not interested in doing a long distance and commuting thing with someone who's in aviation there. I have 4800 total time, am a B737 PIC and have widebody experience.

Right to live and work? 457 visa? Otherwise no hope. Qantas Link had some 457 visa pilots come across...if one of them pipes up you may get some good intel

virgindriver
3rd Jul 2019, 07:47
Direct entry Jetconnect B737 if you have right to work in NZ?

Bend alot
3rd Jul 2019, 08:03
The visa is the thing that you need to sort, there are actually several possible options. The 457 was scrapped some time ago but has two replacement types, one a pathway to PR the other no pathway to PR.

Your best bet is to have a consultation with a Registered Migration Agent (best Australian based most times) for a few hundred dollars, I know a few (around 6) that come highly recommended.

jsfboat
3rd Jul 2019, 20:44
Thanks for the info, I started the app for the skilled immigration visa, but first I need a skills assessment, which requires converting my FAA ATP over. I have color vision deficiency, but don't know how it'll work out for me there and a medical, but my FAA medical doesn't have any restrictions. Maybe my other option is to get hired by one of the US cargo companies that offers home basing and be based in Australia. I see Fiji Airways has NZ and Australia bases.

havick
3rd Jul 2019, 20:46
Thanks for the info, I started the app for the skilled immigration visa, but first I need a skills assessment, which requires converting my FAA ATP over. I have color vision deficiency, but don't know how it'll work out for me there and a medical, but my FAA medical doesn't have any restrictions. Maybe my other option is to get hired by one of the US cargo companies that offers home basing and be based in Australia. I see Fiji Airways has NZ and Australia bases.

beware, converting your FAA license to a CASA license is a costly and time consuming process. It’s nothing like dealing with the FAA.

Dont let that deter you, but just be aware going in to the process.

tail wheel
3rd Jul 2019, 23:14
A 457 Visa (or it's latest version) requires employer sponsorship. jsfboat would need a firm job offer as the employer must initiate the Nomination.

havick
3rd Jul 2019, 23:32
Since no one has given you really any leads. I would suggest trying to contact Skytraders out of Melbourne. They operate A320’s among a few other types on government contracts.

They’re always open to guys with your type of experience. for the right person they might sponsor you given the niche type of work they do.

jsfboat
4th Jul 2019, 09:16
Thanks, I'll try them. Does anyone know where to get study materials for the exams? And what I should study? I did apply to JetStar but they said I need to get the work visa before I can be hired.