PDA

View Full Version : Glasses Prescription - CAA or Specsavers

bradyx10
2nd Jul 2019, 16:08
Hi all,

Recently passed my Class 1 Medical on the condition I wear glasses. I went to Specsavers afterwards (to double check what the AME Optician had prescribed) and they gave me a slightly lower prescription and after looking at my AME prescription they were quite sure that I'd find the AME prescription too strong.

So can I still fly using the prescription given to me by Specsavers or stick with the AME prescription?

Many Thanks

parkfell
2nd Jul 2019, 17:05
Use the Specsavers prescription if you find them better and comply with the acuity requirements.
Keep a copy of this prescription for your annual medical and explain the history of the change.

RatherBeFlying
3rd Jul 2019, 15:37
You do need a spare pair of glasses available when flying; so, perhaps you could use the AME prescription for one pair.

But then I doubt the AME has the equipment used by an optometrist. How much time was taken by the AME and optometrist on working out your prescription?

divetosavemylife
4th Jul 2019, 09:26
I echo RatherBeFlying 's reply. Keep a pair of both - you never know. All the best!

31Pilot
5th Jul 2019, 21:42
When I had my Class 1 I found the room my eye test was done in made my vision worse. The lighting was bad and even with my glasses on I felt I was straining to read the text. I was given the must wear glasses and carry a second pair on my Class 1. I don’t think it matters what prescription you use provided you wear them and they correct your vision.

Any changes to your prescription would be raised at your renewal. I’m due to have my next eye test just before my renewal so I’m going to ask the AME about my glasses requirement as my prescription is correcting such a small amount. At times what I’m gaining in crisp vision is at a detriment to peripheral vision and overall field of vision.

Radgirl
6th Jul 2019, 13:07
I too am totally confused. Visual accuity is checked at every medical using spectacles. If you pass with those spectacles I do not understand why there is more to be said. You need to carry two pairs of those glasses or others with identical lenses in the cockpit.

The CAA's website states the latest optometrist reports should be made available at each medical assessment for the AME to check. and spectacle wearers (who tend to have checks yearly or 2-yearly) .

I accept contact lens wearers are separate but I see no rules stating you need to do any more than attend the medical and pass the VA test wearing your spectacles and have an optometrist's report from any time in the past. Especially for the majority of pilots who merely have age related needs for reading glasses any demand to have a new or repeat optometrical examination is ultra vires and not mandated. Every time I have one the shop gives me dreadful grief because I buy my glasses for under £10 on Amazon instead of buying their identical lenses for many times that.