PDA

View Full Version : Electra wheels up in Canada

NutLoose
2nd Jul 2019, 11:23
It happened on the 22nd.

https://beta.ctvnews.ca/local/edmonton/2019/6/22/1_4478548.html?fbclid=IwAR2bYaZCdQTmOf3dAx6yDnpkd8gpvfhC_F6P 9b3rqqeE7t3a2tMT7jKvIQ0

emeritus
2nd Jul 2019, 11:38
That's no way to treat an old lady. Good luck getting replacement props Sadly it will probably be written off.
A beautiful aircraft to fly.

Emeritus

TCAS FAN
2nd Jul 2019, 12:41
That's no way to treat an old lady. Good luck getting replacement props Sadly it will probably be written off.
A beautiful aircraft to fly.

Emeritus

Didn't Buffalo rebuild their Electra after a simlar incident?

Dave Gittins
2nd Jul 2019, 13:42
They did .. took a couple of sets of blades, an engine and some flap bits - took about 3 months.

Webby737
2nd Jul 2019, 14:44
I remember Channel Express had a similar incident in SNN years ago.
The aircraft was written off.

dixi188
2nd Jul 2019, 15:29
Webby737.
Just to correct your post.
The Electra in Shannon (N285F) was operated by Renown Aviation of Miami and was on wet lease to Channel Express. It did have Channel Express on the side but was crewed by Americans.
The crew forgot to lower the landing gear and realised in the flare. They went around but three props hit the runway causing #3 engine to separate, #4 eng to fail completely and #2 to produce reduced power due to bent blades and damaged controls. They made it round the circuit and landed with the gear down. The aircraft was beyond economic repair and was broken up.

DaveReidUK
2nd Jul 2019, 16:19
Webby737.
The Electra in Shannon (N285F) was operated by Renown Aviation of Miami and was on wet lease to Channel Express. It did have Channel Express on the side but was crewed by Americans.
The crew forgot to lower the landing gear and realised in the flare. They went around but three props hit the runway causing #3 engine to separate, #4 eng to fail completely and #2 to produce reduced power due to bent blades and damaged controls. They made it round the circuit and landed with the gear down. The aircraft was beyond economic repair and was broken up.

AAIU Report (http://www.aaiu.ie/sites/default/files/report-attachments/3973-REPORT_2000_001-0.PDF)

er340790
2nd Jul 2019, 21:48
Pretty sure that pilot, Prefkar, was the guy who featured in Ice Pilots with Buffalo Airways 4 or 5 years ago. I forget, but I don't think things worked out with Buffalo Joe...

Still, any landing you can walk away from! :ok:

Webby737
3rd Jul 2019, 13:25
Webby737.

Thanks Dixi and Dave,

I wasn't aware the aircraft was wet leased.
The rest was just a vague memory it was quite a few years ago, I remember watching the aircraft being broken up.

John Eacott
6th Jul 2019, 05:59
Video courtesy of YouTube

https://youtu.be/GA6MGvL_Sko

20driver
6th Jul 2019, 15:25
AAIU Report (http://www.aaiu.ie/sites/default/files/report-attachments/3973-REPORT_2000_001-0.PDF)
Reading about the accident - pretty amazing that they made it back around with that much damage and in IMC.
As to why execute a go round when you have already made contact, that is another question. I guess part of it is just a startle reflex. Logically it makes no sense to go round when you have hit the ground and damaged the plane. Reminds me of the AC DC-8 that bounced very hard at Toronto and went around. That did not end well. CVR transcript gave me chills.
20driver

bill fly
6th Jul 2019, 16:31
Well then we had the Superjet at Moscow which tried to land from a bounce - with disastrous result.

Damned if you do and damned if you don’t, so - If it doesn’t look good go around before the bounce

slack
6th Jul 2019, 21:46
Reading about the accident - pretty amazing that they made it back around with that much damage and in IMC.
As to why execute a go round when you have already made contact, that is another question. I guess part of it is just a startle reflex. Logically it makes no sense to go round when you have hit the ground and damaged the plane. Reminds me of the AC DC-8 that bounced very hard at Toronto and went around. That did not end well. CVR transcript gave me chills.
20driver

They had no idea of the damage untherwise I am sure they would have hit the binders. In their defence they had about 2 or 3 seconds to think about it. We of course had a couple of days, big difference.

Carbon Bootprint
7th Jul 2019, 15:43
Reminds me of the AC DC-8 that bounced very hard at Toronto and went around. That did not end well. CVR transcript gave me chills.
20driverThat is indeed a grim incident to study. One moment all is normal and going well, in just a few seconds everything goes to hell.

CV880
7th Jul 2019, 16:26
Does anyone know the cause of the Buffalo Electra wheels up landing? I watched the program and was interested as the Electra was the first modern transport aircraft I worked on at the beginning of my aviation career.

Four Turbo
7th Jul 2019, 17:21
Strangely enough there IS a connection back to Channel Express. This aircraft was the last Electra flying with Channel (as G-CEXS) when they morphed into Jet2. My last flight before retirement was to deliver her to Red Deer, Calgary when Channel sold her to Air Spray. Always lovely to fly; I had many happy hours with her. I suspect this is now the end of a gracious old lady. What an undignified position to end up in!

Bksmithca
7th Jul 2019, 18:34
Does anyone know the cause of the Buffalo Electra wheels up landing? I watched the program and was interested as the Electra was the first modern transport aircraft I worked on at the beginning of my aviation career.

CV880. If my memory is still solid a mechanic left a hammer in the land gear area and it jammed the gear when they retracted it after takeoff.

BK

Doctor Cruces
7th Jul 2019, 20:59
CV880. If my memory is still solid a mechanic left a hammer in the land gear area and it jammed the gear when they retracted it after takeoff.

BK

I think that was a C46 after an engine change. The Electra gear got fouled in the doors. As soon as they pulled the door off, it fell by gravity.

Edited, found the hammer incident and the Electra one: -

On 9 November 2012, BFL509, a Curtiss C-46A (C-GTXW), landed at Yellowknife Airport and when it rolled to the runway 16/34 intersection, the left main landing gear collapsed. The aircraft then came to rest on the left wing and suffered substantial damage. The aircraft was repaired and returned to service. The cause of the accident was that a hammer, lodged between the inboard drag strut and sliding member, caused the landing gear to collapse.

On 5 March 2012, BFL1105, a Lockheed L-188A Electra (C-FBAQ), landed at the Yellowknife Airport, but was unable to extend the right main landing gear. The aircraft landed on the left and nose gear and caused substantial damage to the number three and four propellers and wing. The five occupants on board were uninjured