PDA

View Full Version : A350's for SAA?

hexboy
1st Jul 2019, 04:35
Press report on Google of A350 - 900's being acquired by SAA.
Any news on how many and when the first will be in service?

TCU
1st Jul 2019, 12:26
https://newsroom.aviator.aero/south-african-airways-introduces-new-state-of-the-art-aircraft-in-its-fleet/
Aircraft are MSN's 226 and 245. Both ex-Hainan machines. Hope we see them here in CPT on the occasional JNB run.

cavortingcheetah
4th Jul 2019, 18:42
Disingenuously speaking, is it possible that the pilots still receive such poor salaries and perks that they are the most overpaid and ovearperked long haul pilots in the industry?
Or was that just a rumour put about any HQ in order to justify the corruption coming down from on high?

cavortingcheetah
5th Jul 2019, 05:20
https://onemileatatime.com/south-african-airways-a350/

There's a story on the thing, leased old junk, I'll be bound.
I shall continue to fly business KLM to EHAM transit there with a nice pod at Yotel for a couple of hours, then Delta or KLM to JFK. Sometimes it's cheaper, sometimes it's not. Sometimes it takes a little longer but it's always comfortable, reliable and fun in a travel sort. of way. You also feel on KLM that, were the Gremlins to hit the mixer, the cabin crew wold help you get out of the ensuing bloodbath. That might be an unfair impression but I have often had safety talks with KLM crews in the long midnight hours over Africa. It's been difficult in the past and at that time of night to find an SAA cabin crew member.

cavortingcheetah
14th Jul 2019, 23:57
But I would have thought, disingenuously speaking of course, that you've precisely proved your own point. In other, carefully chosen words, if one hundred and forty SAA pilots have left the airline in the last two years then that's as a consequence of a corrupt management that lacks the integrity and experience to manage a dodgem ride at a circus let alone a once proud airline. I suspect too that many of the departed pilots were of the reflective class of aviator who had enough of flying with the rather less reflective crews, both cabin and flight, that seem to have become the norm with the company. I should have thought too that by the end of 2015/2016 SAA pilots were earning their huge salaries and perks for life in a manner proportionate to the work/reward remuneration common to other airlines and so there was little direct financial advantage to staying with SAA anyway, even disregarding the infrastructure breakdown of the country.
So, in part conclusion, good for you for defining one of the problems with what I would infer you more or less imply is an absolutely appalling airline. Too bad about the huge salaries and free business class seats for life for ex captains, wives and families after retirement. Good luck to all the pilots who've lived outside South Africa while flying for SAA and thus avoided income tax in both country of residence and SA. By the grace of god and naming no names further, there's a well known UK HMRC tax case which could be serve as an example of revenue diligence as an illustration on that point.
Finally, it seems to me that there's absolutely no need to be rude to people. To call other pilots ignorant might be true but that's a preserve usually reserved either for craggy old Boeing 727 Flight Engineers or brazen boy pilots deserving of a clip around the ear whose understanding of things is often limited to computer games and methods of maximising nepotistic influence. I wonder which applies here, although it's of no great consequence.
Anyway, be that all as it may, while ignoramanus is a splendid word, it's not how you spell the word 'stupid' in Latin. That word is ignoramus and I'm afraid there's a boomerang element in evidence that might just have come back to haunt you.

Cheerio.
cc

4runner
15th Jul 2019, 06:34
What Cheetah said, eloquently as always. Bergie wasn’t clever enough to see the innuendo and sarcasm.