PDA

View Full Version : Support needed for Katoomba Airfield

sdielectrical
30th Jun 2019, 06:32
Some good folk investing a lot of time and money into an important, but neglected Katoomba airfield. Up against the usual small number of irrational but very vocal locals who don't like any sort of aviation. They need our support. Please share the document attached.

Cheers

Paul Deegan
Skycam

LeadSled
30th Jun 2019, 08:56
sdielectrical,
Have you started a Facebook etc. page(s) and do you have any petitions going.
BMC will respond to the loudest noise --- believe me, I know the area --- and traffic at Katoomba (being nowhere near Katoomba) has virtually nil noise impact on Leura, Katoomba or Blackheath.
Tootle pip!!
PS: And it is absolutely vital during the fire season!!

harrryw
30th Jun 2019, 09:56
i Lived in Blackheath and went to Katoomba several times a week, did not know then there was an airfield....that is how quiet it is.

cowl flaps
30th Jun 2019, 16:58
I remember flying in and out of there quite a few times in about 1982, '83 & 84.
Scared the crap out of me being in a S.E aircraft. An EFATO in either direction, and you'd be a f***ed fairy.

MagnumPI
1st Jul 2019, 00:13
attachment doesn't work - not approved yet

Ascend Charlie
1st Jul 2019, 09:40
Used it in the 90s for some charters and also fire work (chopper) and thought it was in dire need of some love.

20 years on, needs probably a lot more. Glad I was not in a plank rolling through those erosion ruts.

mcoates
1st Jul 2019, 21:50
Because the attachment is not being approved simply copy and paste the content of the attachment as text into one of these posts so we can see what you are talking about otherwise we have no idea

Squawk7700
1st Jul 2019, 23:06
It’s working now.

Nulli Secundus
2nd Jul 2019, 08:59
The Crown Lands FAQ fact sheet notes one of the two runways is to be closed permanently. Really? Of all places that could benefit from a cross strip it would have to be a mountain top airfield such as this one.

Given also nil circuit training or joy flight operations will be permitted, the traffic density is likely to be relatively low. Safety issues relating to crossing runways would therefore have to be also reasonably low and well worth the benefit provided by into wind runways.

Does it really need to be just a single sealed runway? All weather loam crossing runways I feel would be more appropriate given the location. If the army are to continue their bivouacs, will this also mean (continued) military STOL ops?

Is it a case of trying to tick too many boxes?

Allan L
2nd Jul 2019, 09:37
attachment doesn't work - not approved yet

Unfortunately the mods aren't automatically made aware that there is an attachment pending. They have to find it the same as we do.

If however 'someone' is to REPORT the post, that brings it to attention of all the mods, just add some words of why it's being reported. (Perhaps a slight misuse of the REPORT function, but one that 'someone' has used before and seems to work. Although 'someone' has in past also perhaps sent a PM to a mod to alert them.)