PDA

View Full Version : BA658 diverted to ZAG last night

Drive4it
27th Jun 2019, 09:04
As a passenger on LHR-ZTH last night I want to credit the professionalism of the crew last night.
A medical emergency meant we landed in ZAGREB

The passenger on board collapsed in the rear galley falling out of the toilet.
The crew acted quickly with cpr.
They didn't stop making chest compressions until the medical staff boarded.
The medical staff then continued on for 30 min.
Unfortunately the guy didn't make it.
He was on board with his wife.
As I understand....
They were travelling to ZTH from The States via LHR. Both Greek origin, retired out to The USA and coming back to visit family
Extremely sad for all.
Feel so deeply saddened for his Wife.
God Bless her and her family, the crew and medical staff.

DaveReidUK
27th Jun 2019, 10:47
As a passenger on LHR-ZTH last night I want to credit the professionalism of the crew last night.

As I understand....
They were travelling to ZTH from The States via LHR. Both Greek origin, retired out to The USA and coming back to visit family
Extremely sad for all.

Sadly, around 100 passengers die in flight every year, more than half of the deaths due to cardiac-related issues, as seems to be the case here.

So, while it's tragic for the family and loved ones and upsetting for the crew and other pax on board, it's not, alas, especially unusual or newsworthy.

Pilot DAR
27th Jun 2019, 12:17
So a poster makes a complementary post about a life saving effort. The post contains two quasi religious words, and describes a sad event which occurs from time to time, we don't need to cut the post apart too much do we?

Officer Kite
27th Jun 2019, 12:43
Sadly, around 100 passengers die in flight every year, more than half of the deaths due to cardiac-related issues, as seems to be the case here.

So, while it's tragic for the family and loved ones and upsetting for the crew and other pax on board, it's not, alas, especially unusual or newsworthy.

I find your comment to be in rather bad taste and totally unnecessary. Someone has died on a commercial aircraft and there was considerable effort put in place by an aircrew to save the situation which resulted in a diversion. It is very aviation related and newsworthy for sure.

I am thankful to be informed about such an event.

DaveReidUK
27th Jun 2019, 12:54
I find your comment to be in rather bad taste and totally unnecessary. Someone has died on a commercial aircraft and there was considerable effort put in place by an aircrew to save the situation which resulted in a diversion.

I believe I have acknowledged all of that - what parts of "sadly", "tragic" and "upsetting" are you having trouble understanding ? :ugh:

The Mod's comments above, by the way, were in respect of a now-deleted post which was indeed in bad taste and unnecessary.

SquintyMagoo
27th Jun 2019, 14:33
Um....why then does the Mod quote your post?

DaveReidUK
27th Jun 2019, 14:47
Um....why then does the Mod quote your post?

Er, where does he do that ?

The deleted post (actually two posts) was a disparaging reference to the OP's use of "God Bless" (hence the Mod's reference to "quasi religious words") followed by a put-down by a subsequent poster.

If you didn't actually see those posts, then I suggest you stop digging ...

A320LGW
27th Jun 2019, 15:43
David you are usually a respectful poster, this time you have come up a bit short unfortunately. No need to shoot this post down as not newsworthy and then seek to fight whoever points out the insensitivity of it.

DaveReidUK
27th Jun 2019, 22:38
David you are usually a respectful poster, this time you have come up a bit short unfortunately. No need to shoot this post down as not newsworthy and then seek to fight whoever points out the insensitivity of it.

Thanks for the input, but I'm not aware of having shot down anything or anyone in my attempt to provide some hopefully useful context around the incidence of in-flight deaths and the causes thereof. I note that neither the OP nor the mods have taken any exception to my comments - that's good enough for me.

capngrog
28th Jun 2019, 04:04
David Reid's post was respectfully reporting facts. I do not understand those who have taken offense at his post. Of course, these days, there are too many folks lurking in the underbrush just waiting to take offense and be "outraged" at almost anything ... logic be damned.

Just my opinion.

Cheers,
Grog

pilotmike
28th Jun 2019, 06:42
This thread, which is after all about a sad and tragic event, has taken a very odd turn.

It reminds me of the 3 'hearing impaired' people (am I even allowed to be so disrespectful?!) on a park bench....

1st person: "Isn't it windy today!"

2nd person "No, I think its Thursday"

3rd person: "So am I, lets have a cup of tea!"

"God Bless them!"

rog747
28th Jun 2019, 06:43

As I understand....
Extremely sad for all.

Very sad - many Greeks who emigrated return home to the islands during the summer -

From the BAsource
British Airways A320neo G-TTNA operating BA658 London Heathrow – Zakynthos diverted to Zagreb due to a medical emergency on board. Passengers have been accommodated overnight in Zagreb and the aircraft positioned Zagreb – London Heathrow as BA9255 during the evening.

Following the medical diversion of BA658 London Heathrow – Zakynthos to Zagreb yesterday and the accommodated of passengers overnight, British Airways A320 G-TTOB (http://thebasource.com/aircraft/a320/g-ttob/) positioned London Heathrow – Zagreb as BA9254 this morning in order to continue the diverted flight, routing Zagreb – Zakynthos as BA658D. The aircraft then positioned Zakynthos – London Heathrow as BA659D.