PDA

View Full Version : Anyone here own a Gyrocopter?

A-V-8R
6th Aug 2002, 01:45
Wondering if any of the folks here are interested in Gyros..

I fly 767's for a US Airlines, but muchly prefer grass roots aviation.

I have an *highly* modified Air Command (Modifed to center line thrust) and would like to contact others who are in this sport.

For those who whish to know a little more....

www.rotorcraft.com

Kim

SASless
6th Aug 2002, 07:00
In another life....while learning to fly a Bensen Gyrocopter...using a pickup truck and platform....with a tethered aircraft.....slung a rotor system and made it into the newspaper...fortunately not on page three! From that time on...I have held grave reservations about gyrocopters....and still shudder when I think of the event.

It would be interesting to know what accident rates, causes, and percentage of fatalities occur as a result of gyrocopter accidents. Are they as dangerous as perceived?

I know that as a rotorcraft CFI....I avoid even discussing anything to do with gyrocopters with owners....pilots....for fear of legal involvement should something evil happen to them. Might be an unfair position....but that is the reality of the situation.

MaxNg
8th Aug 2002, 13:33
A V 8 er

Wrong forum

you need a medium to contact the other side

:D

twistair
10th Aug 2002, 10:33
A-V-8R,

why not to post to www.rotorcraft.com forum? It's really the best place to talk to other rotorheads.
As for me I'm flying Dominator tandem in Russia. See it at http://twistairclub.narod.ru/doomin

Cheers,

Alex
http://twistairclub.narod.ru - Rotorcraft in Russia

Aesir
10th Aug 2002, 12:02
I had a Air Command single seat with Rotax 582 engine.

And I must say that Gyrocopters are loads of fun to fly, they are just as easy as fixed wing with a lot of helicopter handling qualities in them.

I sometime think back now when I´m flying my B222U IFR in snow, 30 40 kts winds at night, how simple things were in the old days when I had a gyrocopter in my fathers barn and could just roll it out whenever I wanted to go out and fly and have fun.

Gyrocopters are absolutely not dangerous in any way, in fact they are in my opinion the safest aircraft design flying, because if the engine quits you are already in autorotation and you simply glide down and land on a dime, just like a helicopter but only requires about 10% of the skill to fly a helicopter.
No tailrotor! No complicated systems to go wrong. The only weak point in a gyrocopter is the pilot, like in all aircraft.

Because gyrocopters are so cheap to buy there are lot of people that buy them and think they can fly with only fixed wing experience or even no experience at all and of course these people are gonna chrash and make people who dont bother to check the facts to think that gyrocopters are dangerous, its like guns. Guns are not dangerous, but if you give one to a stupid person he´s going to do something stupid with it!

We´ll thats my 10 cents.