PDA

View Full Version : Gaining that breakthrough job

Frostywing
24th Jun 2019, 14:13
Afternoon,

Having just finished a degree in aircraft maintenance engineering and passing a good number of B license modules I am in the process off trying to land my first aviation job. The common theme arising is companies looking for candidates with a lot of previous experience and not seem to be willing to take someone fresh to the industry. I understand the the workforce is currently ageing and a shortfall of engineers/technicians will arise in the not so distant future.

Does anyone have any tips or companies that might be willing to look at an individual like myself?

It would be also interesting to hear how yourselves got into aviation, I.e Apprenticeship, military background etc.

Cheers.

woptb
26th Jun 2019, 10:39
Try Air Malta maintenance. The pay is more like pocket money,but you get the experience.

spannersatcx
27th Jun 2019, 11:06
Try CX at LHR always on the lookout for people.

aeromech3
28th Jun 2019, 14:14
4yr apprenticeship with 6 years college release, lucky me in 1965, then also they predicted a shortfall of Tech Engineers due to the stock of ex RAF numbers post war years dropping into retirement.
The Gov't had introduced the tax incentive scheme for apprenticeship schemes and this meant my Company at the time doubled its intake every year for some time.
After sitting AEC 2 and 5, I went onto get my 1st airframe license, despite the industry turning against this system in favour of company approvals.
Now retired 10yrs, having had a wonderful career abroad where my licenses were well appreciated.
Hope you have success too.

N707ZS
6th Jul 2019, 10:04
If you do live in Cardiff go and take a look at your local airports you must have a chance of something at either Cardiff or St Athan. Once you have found prospective companies try and arrange a visit to see them. The old fashioned method of getting on your bike comes over better than the modern day text. Also think what you are selling your prospective employer.

tested satis
9th Jul 2019, 16:17
Give Loganair a go at Glasgow or Aberdeen. Always looking for good people to join Scotlands Airline