PDA

View Full Version : Sukhoi Superjet pax review

Gibon2
24th Jun 2019, 09:27
Hello everyone, I haven't checked in here for a while, but I recently had the chance to fly from Sochi to Moscow on an Aeroflot Sukhoi Superjet 100, and thought I'd share my impressions.

The good parts:

Flight was on time (to the minute), smooth and uneventful, and - unlike the more lurid media stories tend to suggest - did not end in a flaming wreck.

The cabin was fitted out in standard modern style, seats were typical for shorthaul jets, legroom adequate (I'm 185cm tall), seating is 2+3 like a Bombardier C-jet or BAe 146. Really, from the inside, you couldn't tell the difference from a C-jet, although the Swiss C-jets I have been on are maybe slightly higher-tech looking. Headroom, overhead locker size, and general sense of cabin space is pretty much the same as a 737 or A320. There were no in-seat gadgets like power points or USB charging ports, and no overhead video screens (the safety briefing was done live by the cabin crew, but this was also the case for the Aeroflot 737-800s and A321s I flew on other legs of the trip).

I'd read that the Superjet is noisy, and maybe it is from outside, but in the cabin the noise level seemed to me pretty much the same as the A321 I took from Moscow a couple of hours later. I was sitting abreast the front of the engines on both flights. There were no strange or unusual noises (Sukhoi apparently does not use the dog-with-a-hacksaw hydraulic transfer thing that is a such a feature of the Airbus auditory experience).

I didn't use the toilets, so can't comment on them.

The bad parts:

Nothing really. The only thing I found slightly odd is that the windows seem to be set a few cm lower on the cabin wall than in other planes. I had to bend down to look out.

Conclusion:

Rather to my disappointment, the Sukhoi is just another anonymous modern twinjet. It's absolutely fine, but you could be on anything. I fear the age of airliner models with individual quirks and character is behind us.

alserire
24th Jun 2019, 16:11
Wow. Totally tasteless.

DaveReidUK
24th Jun 2019, 17:15
Hello everyone, I haven't checked in here for a while

A wise decision.

Piper.Classique
24th Jun 2019, 18:32
Yes, well. . Thank you for that errrr. review. Do you work for the Daily Mail, by any chance?

PAXboy
24th Jun 2019, 20:20
I cannot see why you would say that Piper.Classique as the o/p was a reasonable post that many may find interesting.

Load Toad
25th Jun 2019, 06:35
This is distasteful and should be removed. This ain't Reddit.

Gibon2
25th Jun 2019, 07:25
Well, I'm genuinely puzzled by the "distasteful" comments. The photos were standard news shots of the Superjet accidents in Moscow and Indonesia. They (or very similar ones) have been widely published in respectable newspapers, and have surely been posted dozens or even hundreds of times here on PPRuNe, in both serious and not-so-serious threads. My point was in fact to lampoon the shock-horror-air-terror Daily Mail-type media coverage, and show that the Sukhoi Superjet, far from being a dodgy Russian-built deathtrap, is in fact a modern, safe aircraft, largely indistinguishable from its Western peers.

Anyway, since they seem to have upset people, I have removed the photos and made my point in plain text instead. Now can we look at the actual content?

S.o.S.
25th Jun 2019, 09:39
Load Toad Did you mean the comments or the original post were distasteful? The photos were factual and well publicised when they happened.

alserire
25th Jun 2019, 13:46
Load Toad Did you mean the comments or the original post were distasteful? The photos were factual and well publicised when they happened.

To me the photos were used to score the cheapest of cheap laughs. A pathetic attempt at the worst kind of humour. There was absolutely no need for them in the context of the text of the post.

DaveReidUK
25th Jun 2019, 14:32
To me the photos were used to score the cheapest of cheap laughs. A pathetic attempt at the worst kind of humour. There was absolutely no need for them in the context of the text of the post.

In fact a simple statement by the OP that none of his flights on the Superjet had resulted in the deaths of many or all on board would have sufficed. :ugh:

S.o.S.
25th Jun 2019, 18:55
Fine. Understood. The o/p removed the photos and such noted for the future.