PDA

View Full Version : Cardiff Base

malibu77
23rd Jun 2019, 07:59
Hi everyone,

Anyone know if there are any flying jobs out of Cardiff, there were mutterings of Jet2 thinking about opening a base.

I live near Swansea and can't face the 2.5hr commute to Bristol or further.

I have 5000hrs on 737/320/747 all RHS time.

Right Touch
23rd Jun 2019, 09:20
Flybe are closing their base.
TCX no longer have one.
Jet 2 is only a rumour albeit a popular one.
That leaves with you TUI on the 737

Happy to be of assistance.

malibu77
23rd Jun 2019, 14:31
Thanks for the update.

:-(

RedDragonFlyer
24th Jun 2019, 04:11
Yeah, there's not really much choice there.

TUI has three 738s based there each summer with a small winter operation.

Flybe is closing their base at the end of the season and will operate solely out of base and with W patterns.

Eastern has a base flying the J41 to Anglesey under a franchise with flybe.

There's a charter company called Dragon Fly with a small operation too.

That's about it.

I think Jet2 is pretty unlikely at the moment. The best chance of a big base is if APD is devolved to Wales and then the Assembly cuts it. That might attract Ryanair over the bridge. Seems unlikely too though.

Capt Scribble
24th Jun 2019, 07:27
Smartlynx fly the TCX flights on Airbus as a damp lease from CWL in the summer. I don’t know their T&Cs for pilots but I’m sure they are always looking out for pilots.

standbykid
24th Jun 2019, 15:14
A Canadian LoCo (Zoom?) used to stop there on the way to LGW. There was us and a Hercules there. Let some passengers off, fueled maybe and took off.
Didn't seem that busy!

macdo
28th Jun 2019, 06:48
Hi everyone,

Anyone know if there are any flying jobs out of Cardiff, there were mutterings of Jet2 thinking about opening a base.

I live near Swansea and can't face the 2.5hr commute to Bristol or further.

I have 5000hrs on 737/320/747 all RHS time.

I'm in a very similar situation to you. TUI is the only viable option for CWL all the way through the year, but you'd need to establish how long it would take from joining TUI to getting a CWL base, last I looked they were dual basing new pilots in Scandi for the Winter. (may have changed). Working for Smartlynx will probably lead to unstable Winters and I think many on this site might question the wisdom of electing to work for them in the 1st place. Have you considered a LH job on a part time contract? LHR,LGW and MAN are commutable on a once a week basis. NetJets?

pudoc
28th Jun 2019, 13:00
I'm in a very similar situation to you. TUI is the only viable option for CWL all the way through the year, but you'd need to establish how long it would take from joining TUI to getting a CWL base, last I looked they were dual basing new pilots in Scandi for the Winter. (may have changed). Working for Smartlynx will probably lead to unstable Winters and I think many on this site might question the wisdom of electing to work for them in the 1st place. Have you considered a LH job on a part time contract? LHR,LGW and MAN are commutable on a once a week basis. NetJets?

TUI dual basing has stopped I think. CWL being a regional base doesn't have dual fleeting either. So if its a normal CWL 737 base you're after, looks like that can be achieved now.