PDA

View Full Version : Music in the air

CSRO
5th Aug 2002, 21:07
Crap weather but great show.

An airshow with a difference. Despite rain my whole family loved it and they hate airshows.

Great to see Apache being shown off too. The 3 (6?) pilots did a great job and had to be the highlight. Well done brown jobs.

fenestronuk
5th Aug 2002, 21:11
:) I agree, how did the Apache pilot do a stall turn in a helicopter and how did he go vertically up?? Really impressive.

The glider was awesome too with the music but the Apache and the Red Arrows still come tops. Shame about the rain.

Also they need more ticket checkers, it took hours to get in through the gate:confused:

fobotcso
5th Aug 2002, 21:38
Agreed!! Great evening and the fireworks/music synchronisation was the best for a long time. And who cared about the rain during such a great evening with friends.

Absolutely fantastic Red Arrows; and the BBMF brought the usual tears helped by that poem. And Gerry in the glider and the SU26 and everything...

But I don't think I can seriously contemplate ever going again since the Police and Car Parking organisers could not manage to keep cars moving during the exit procedure. I was stationary for an hour while cars flooded out of the gate from other areas of the Andover car park.

No, enough is enough. This has happened two years running and it is simply not worth it - especially when the weather is duff and everything in the car is soaking wet. But I enjoyed it at the time.

Oldandbold
6th Aug 2002, 08:58
Agree about the weather, however some observations about the organisation.

I think that the Red Arrows overstayed their welcome. Yes it was a fantastic display, but I was under the impression that they were going to give a shoter display because of the time of day and declining weather in order to give other aircraft a chance. They were good, as always, but I think a little out of place on this occasion.

The organisers did have difficult job, but it was a shame that they continued to talk over the Glider display. The glider display was very good, has the pilot displayed elsewhere or is it just this show? I have never seen a glider do aerobatics before.

DamienB
6th Aug 2002, 12:46
Glider displays now quite common at big shows - Waddo, Kemble, RIAT, Farnborough all had at least one glider display and some of them had two - the paired display plus a solo later on.

The Lanc roared over my house en-route to MW for Music in the Air - prompting a quick web search to find out where it was off to and much wailing and gnashing of teeth on finding out such an event was on. Hadn't seen it advertised anywhere and only found the web site on specifically searching for it :(

ewe.lander
6th Aug 2002, 21:54
great evening, good to see old friends, thought RM did a splendid job cobbling the display together despite the weather.

Well done to the Reds, the music fitted the display perfectly, same for the BBMF and the glider. As for the SU26 - very, very impressive! It remains a great occasion, and raises money for charity too. As for the traffic problems, AAC did raise their concerns re. traffic on departure, the civvies paid to sort it out didn't listen.

Still think the B.Eagles need 3 Lynx and noooooo Gazelles......or is that no longer PC?:p

crab beefer
8th Aug 2002, 23:44
Apache display was superb. Was very impressed with what the pilot did and thought it was really well flown. He made it looked very easy and calm whilst still sticking it every which way.

Red Arrows too long.

Glider pilot was good too although too much chatter from comentator.

SU 26 pilot was good entertainment, enjoyed it but none of the Apache or glider smoothness. Noise was pretty good too.

Traffic control appalling - only 2 gates! and 10000 people.

Looking forward to better weather next year.

fobotcso
9th Aug 2002, 13:40
Quote "Red Arrows Too Long"

Perfect example of an oxymoron.

9th Aug 2002, 18:43
What! no Lynx backflips in the dark? How tame...not like the good old days when the CFI could run the show with a radio in one hand and a bottle of wine in the other!!!
Why is anyone surprised that the traffic control to get you out wasn't as good as the one to get you in - the Museum already had your money in it's hands, why should they care if it takes an hour to get out?