PDA

View Full Version : Approval given for Qantas Cadet Programme/2003

AJ
5th Aug 2002, 20:12
Hello folk

For anyone interested, I see that Qantas (http://www.qantas.com.au/info/about/employment/pilots) have given the nod to another Cadet Pilot 'programme', this one for 2003.

As indicated, they'll be posting the details shortly.

I suspect most of us can't go any further than to just read the details, due to lack of Aussie residence/citizenship.

It does seem to indicate that the larger airlines are still willing to help train their own pilots, as well as accepting the traditional DEPs.

My question is whether carriers in this country will continue to occasionally offer similar opportunities, as Qantas is about to. Perhaps it is very difficult to say, given the current bleak state of affairs at the airlines.

Any input/information/ideas welcome.

Probably already been discussed before, but would be nice to have an update/new ideas.

That Qantas is still interested in Cadet programmes is encouraging, even if I am not likely to be able to apply.

Regards

Grivation
6th Aug 2002, 06:50
You'll find Qantas don't actually pay for any part of their 'cadet' program. Applicants who are successful pay for the course themselves. In fact they also pay for the interview and testing.

Why the company would ever need to run a cadet program has most people stuffed. There are huge number of experienced pilots, both employed and unemployed, at the moment in Aus (in fact there always is!)

AJ
6th Aug 2002, 08:52
Thanks for the info Grivation.

I rather imagined that would be the way to go about it...I doubt many airlines train cadets AND pay all the bills, as BA has done in the past.

However, with such a scheme/programme/whatever in place at Qantas, although there is no guarantee of employment on successful completion of training, there is presumably a good chance that Qantas will then endeavour to employ all of its chosen cadet pilots, all other things (i.e. state of economy, global stability) being equal.

So my question really is, if there are always a pool of ready-made pilots for airlines such as Qantas to choose from, why do they continue to offer such ab-initio programmes-even if they do incur minimal cost, on the part of the airline?

There must be some reason! I would just like to know what it is!

Regards

Roundagain
6th Aug 2002, 10:02
I seem to remember a few years ago that airlines were being criticised for being short-sighted in not running cadet programmes that would help alleviate the impending pilot shortage. Now people seem to be questioning why they are running them at all!

Sheep Guts
6th Aug 2002, 23:36
You are possibly Right Zerouali but I dont think its the McDonalds formula here, as Second Officres are all on the same pay scale if they were cadets or not. I think really its a way of getting Airline Pilots kids jobs without them having to take 45 slabs of VB in a C210 to Nadidi on wet season afternoon ie. school of hard knocks! Sorry guys maybe I m a bit emotional on this, but by crikey Qantas, there are plenty of us good sticks still waiting in the winds just open your eyes. By the way all recruit candidates have to pay for their testing including those wanting slots in the Qantas Link.

Regards
Sheep Guts

nika
9th Aug 2002, 17:40
Any ideas?

I have heard that people with relatives working for Qantas (eg. parents, aunts and uncles) have a greater chance of gaining entry into the cadet program. Has anyone else heard this??

As I am 20 and will be finishing a commerce degree at the end of the year, I would very much like to know what my chances are. I know that it is extremely competitive

Nika

redsnail
10th Aug 2002, 01:55
Anecdotal evidence from the earlier schemes would suggest that it was true.
I don't think that is the case now.
What are your chances? Well, have a go.
It is based on computer psych and skills testing (definitly) as well as some sort of practical tests (I think). You pay for the testing.
Do a search in Dunnunda and have a look. It has been done many times.
If you are successful you will have to pay for your training. You will not be guaranteed a job if you are slack etc. So, you still have to work very hard. Some courses have been told to go out into GA and get some experience to "grow up".
Not a bad thing in my opinion.

nika
10th Aug 2002, 16:41
Thanks redsnail for the advice. With regard to the aptitude test, does channel nine's iq test count for something. I know, i am very sad for sitting there for 2.5 hours but hey, i apparently have an above average iq..... who cares!!

:)

Grivation
10th Aug 2002, 19:25
Bendigo - you're an angry little man aren't you!

Lucifer
11th Aug 2002, 21:23
Bendingo - I would be quite happy myself when the aviation world including job market got off its backside and allowed proper free trade, especially as it is the main beneficiary of it! Many I know would quite happily work in another country so long as those from other nations were allowed to work here. Quite frankly it is ridiculous that in all other professions one can move all around the globe to employers while we cannot do so freely.

You may have noticed a certain UK airline with an Aussie CEO...

Though it may be a bit un-PC to make cadetships open to non-nationals I admit.

AJ
12th Aug 2002, 16:03
Thanks for the constructive replies.

Bendigo,

I'm not even British and you still sound ridiculous. What on earth have ex-colonies/British empire got to do with this? Please, reserve your 'Australian frankness' bull___ for some other occasion....

borg
13th Aug 2002, 05:24
The reason Qantas has a cadet scheme is simply because they make money from it. You take 10 guys/gals who have each paid $120K and you take a handful on as S/O's at the end of the course.
Think about it. You make 1.2 mil from hiring 10 cadets ! How much would you make if you hired 10 pilots from GA/military/regionals ?
Answer: Squat.
Remember airlines are no different to any other big business......they are run by accountants.
In many of the big carriers hours and experience holdd a lot less weight than they did many years ago. The bottom line is save money and make money.

My theory anyhow.

A Comfy Chair
14th Aug 2002, 10:32
I think you will find that the money would go to the flying schools that provide the training, not Qantas.....

AlphaCharlie
14th Aug 2002, 10:51
Bendigo,

You are absolutely right. Here's an idea why don't the Brits all go back to Britain and leave Oz alone, seeing as the empire ended years ago and all that.

Oh yeah, do you want us to give you back the massive share in QANTAS that BA OWN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I seem to remember that QANTAS needed us a while back!!! Why shouldn't Brits consider applying to the scheme if they are eligible? Aussies apply to our scheme if they have any remote fa,ily in the UK that could get them a passport.

scroggs
14th Aug 2002, 11:24
Bendingo,

The reason British wannabes are interested in any possibility of getting on a Qantas cadetship is basically twofold:

a) this is a British site, in English, which focusses on British aviators.

b) Wannabes will naturally try to follow up any opportunity that may present itself, however far away or unlikely.

It is most certainly not because anyone here feels they have a right to jobs or training in Australia, or any other country. But they most certainly have the right to try for any jobs available anywhere, as do you, within the laws of the countries concerned.

I've no doubt, in fact, that many Brazilian wannabes would be interested in BA (or Botswanans in Lufthansa, or whatever) but as this site isn't in Portugese and doesn't really cater to that market, we're unlikely to hear about it.

As for your rather childish attempt to belittle history and Great Britain, I suggest you go back to school (if you have actually left that institution) and learn a little more about the world. It's actually only 60 years since Britain accepted that it would have to relinquish its empire, and it remains one of the largest and most internationally active economies in the world.

I don't remember anyone in this thread attacking Australia, and AJ at no stage implied he expected a chance at the Qantas cadetship - and, as you have failed to acknowledge, he is not British! Keep your prejudices to yourself, Bendingo, or be banished to Dunnunda and JetBlast!

nika
15th Aug 2002, 03:20
For those interested, the 2003 Qantas cadet info is now available at http://www.qantas.com.au/info/about/employment/pilots (http://)