PDA

View Full Version : CPL H theory - Classroom full time.

kentcopter
19th Jun 2019, 08:54
Hi All, first ever post on here...

I am a PPL H about 180 Hours, I am looking at doing a CPL H theory, as I am interested in aerial pipeline and lifting work, I was considering ATPL but it appears one only needs CPL for the work I am interested, I would prefer full time classroom than distance learning, there seems to be a few places that have full time class room ATPL but I cant find any CPL H, can any one help with a ground school that might do this?

Many thanks in advance.

KC.

SFIM
19th Jun 2019, 09:28
My advice is to do the ATPL, you never know where the career is going to go and when you get the job on the big twin later you will need the ATPL if you want to be the captain.

as for your question, people speak highly of Bristol ground school, I have no personal experience.

kentcopter
19th Jun 2019, 10:44
Hi SFIM,

Thanks for your message, I agree, I didnt want to bore everyone with the details but I am probably going to fail on colour when I the class one, so any work I manage to get will only be day light survey or lifting and instructing but im not keen on the latter, so it seems like there really is no point in spending the extra time effort and money on the ATPL, but yes I agree in most circumstances anyone wanting to become professional pilot would want to do a ATPL I would but there really seems no point.

Kind regards.

mftx7jrn
19th Jun 2019, 11:48
Phil at CAPT should be able to point you in the right direction...

gulliBell
19th Jun 2019, 14:06
I'm just curious why anybody would be interested in aerial pipeline work. Assuming you mean pipeline inspections. Apart from it being one small aspect of a more involved job.

paco
19th Jun 2019, 18:34
The problem with the ATP is that you need to get a type on it that requires two pilots and you must get the IR within 3 years, although you could do the ATPL(H) VFR exams, and remove the pressure for the IR. It isn't that much extra work.

Why full time? Very few people do it, as you have found.

phil

ersa
20th Jun 2019, 09:13
Phil,

thought the ATPL theory lasted 7 years with adding a type rating (Helicopter) ?

paco
20th Jun 2019, 10:20
The IR portion only lasts for 3 years, though you would be forgiven for thinking otherwise. It's 7 years from the expiry of the IR or a type rating. As far as I am concerned it's either or, but those on high don't see it that way