PDA

View Full Version : IPads

fuelling
18th Jun 2019, 12:33
This is just an "Out of Interest" question, do you think all Biz jet crew should be supplied with iPads and iPhones or is any tablet/Phone acceptable. Also a laptop what would you recommend. Just as a note I have nothing to do with hiring crew or the operation of the aircraft but I was asked my opinion in genral conversation

hueyracer
18th Jun 2019, 13:07
The main benefit of an Ipad is its "closed" system structure....

While on Android tablets, any user can install anything he wants (or enable/disable functions on the tablet), there is nothing you can do on a corporate Ipad (other than what the system administrator allowed you to).

As a user, i always prefer an Android tablet due to its functionality.

For my aircrews, i prefer Ipads, set up in the proper way.....

what next
18th Jun 2019, 16:35
Hello!

This is just an "Out of Interest" question, do you think all Biz jet crew should be supplied with iPads and iPhones or is any tablet/Phone acceptable.

If the tablets are supposed to be used for Jeppesen charts (Jeppesen Mobile Flight Deck) then there is not much choice: It is either going to be an iPad or an iPad... If not I would say that any tablet which is capabale of doing what is required (ususally email, company documents, aircraft manuals, performance calculations,...) should be good.
With the phone it is mainly a matter of taste. We were issued Blackberries many years ago. These were wonderful devices with real keys and batteries that lasted for a whole week. When the company swapped them for iPhones (4 or 5 back then) it was like trading a professional tool for a toy. Especially the batteries that didn't even last for one day were awful. It was then that I bought an android phone for myself which was really superior in any respect at 1/3 of the cost. But lately we were given new iPhones (8) and that is a big step forward. But I am still not convinced that it is worth the extra expense. So no. I don't think that bizjet crews really need "i-devices".

Also a laptop what would you recommend.

I am a bit biased in that respect because I have used Macbboks for as long as they exist. But that is for myself. I do not need the newest one and am happy to use it for many many years. Therefore the high price does not really matter.
But if I were tasked to puchase laptops for crews I would buy the cheapest ones that are up to the job and which will cost maybe 1/5 of a MacBook. They often get treated poorly, are dropped during security search, forgotten in hotel rooms or stolen. No need to spend more than necessary.

Regards
Max

Banana Joe
18th Jun 2019, 18:45
For laptops go for ease of portability, like Lenovo Yoga's.

Hodin
19th Jun 2019, 17:49
like said before: for EFB with Jeppesen charts you wont have a choice other than ipad.
if thats not the case, make sure your device is certified for use in aviation (ipads are btw).

in terms of laptop:
for personal use I have a MS surface pro. good all around device with windows 10 OS. not to big and light weight. would recommend.