PDA

View Full Version : iPad USB data transfer

safetypee
9th Jun 2019, 10:01
With help from this forum I am using an external USB hard drive linked to a BT modem to transfer data to iPad via File Explorer.
Now considering a change of internet provider to Sky.
Any one know if the Sky box has a similar USB port compatible with a hard drive / File Explorer ?
Questions asked around the sales ‘bazaars’ resulted in either a standard ‘don’t know’ or what is USB transfer.

However, from the Apple Shop, a very helpful tech person (don’t know about Sky) indicated that a forthcoming iPad update will support direct data transfer via a Silverlight adapter cable to a standard USB port - providing the hard drive is powered via USB.
Any comments, validation of this info ?

Saab Dastard
9th Jun 2019, 11:23
From your description, you appear to be using the USB HDD as a NAS (network attached storage) device.

You could look into buying a true NAS - i.e. a disk that is connected directly to the home network (either via wired or wireless connection), rather than via a USB port on the router.

Likely to be a faster, more versatile, but more expensive solution.

google "nas storage for ipad" for more information - e.g. https://www.macworld.co.uk/feature/mac/best-nas-drives-mac-3674321/

I think the connector you are referring to is a "Lightning" connector - Apple's (not cheap) Lightning to USB Camera Adapter - that allows a standard USB storage device to be connected to an ipad.

Possibly the Apple tech person was saying that the FileBrowser App has fairly recently extended support to use this for any file types, not just photos.

Also, the USB drive being connected has to have its own power source, as the Lightning adapter won't power it.

You could also look at one of these: SanDisk iXpand Flash Drive for iPhone and iPad - not a recommendation, just an observation. Pricey, but if it gives you the interoperability you need quickly and easily, it might be worth a look.

jimjim1
9th Jun 2019, 11:59
Saab Dastard's advice is good as always.

Here is another possible option.

You will be able to continue to leave your BT ROUTER attached to the network -

IF it is possible to disable its DHCP Server and assign a static address to it within your new network's address range.

Many ISP supplied routers are locked with respect to various configuration settings, the exact nature of the locked bits may well change with the router's software version too. To be certain you will probably need to check the specific device.

You might want to turn off the wireless too, or of course you can use it as a second access point if your premises are large.

This article purports to describe how to disable DHCP on a BT home Hub 3.
https://support.getcujo.com/support/solutions/articles/9000130350-dhcp-mode-bt-home-hub-3

YorkshireTyke
10th Jun 2019, 23:17
I have a Mobilite gadget that accepts USB sticks, then WiFi's them to my iPad ( and anyone else's in range if they know the password ! ). Unfortunately it is "read only" can't edit any document that you might read, but it handy to store passwords on when travelling, and can't carry my 36 page file !

crewmeal
11th Jun 2019, 05:23
It's worth noting that you cannot transfer anything using an iPad Pro with the USB C connection. Which means you can only use iCloud for transferring data, which in turn will take you forever if you're in a Country with poor wifi.

YorkshireTyke
11th Jun 2019, 08:59
So I'll stick with my iPad2 mini, and continue to use my USB data stick. "It wasn't broke, so why fix it" ? Improvements ? Jobs for the Boys? More money for Apple !!

safetypee
11th Jun 2019, 15:15
Thanks for the various views.
Modem has to be returned; wish to keep old hard drive (NAS) vice a new one, would need to transfer data anyway.
Have a small iExpand, very useful when mobile, but too small (or expensive upgrade) for all of the historic data on hard disk, which still requires transferring.
All WiFi options are slow, but acceptable for the occasional archive search.
New modem option remains favourite, but as yet unknown if USB - hard drive will work with WiFi and File Explorer.
As I understand camera iPad input is limited to picture formats not data; thus Apples new approach.
Have I misunderstood Apples proposal for USB data input (SD #2); will a USB powered hard drive work with iPad 2, or only those with external power supply.
If no hard drive input, would a handful of high capacity USB sticks be a viable alternative (still need to transfer data from hard drive). Thence will Apples proposal read and write to USB.

Tasyery
17th Jun 2019, 07:45
TBH,i don't do that,as i'm worried about losing my data.

safetypee
17th Mar 2020, 15:17
A 'locked down' high-risk senior seeks to expand horizons.

Further to the OP, now considering adding a new iPad 2 either as a replacement or dual use (memsaab).
Ideally all data, apps, and interfaces need to be lifted across to the new device.
On-line advice is generally data specific or requires wifi based transfer which appears to be a very slow process.

Is it possible to setup a new iPad from the old one using a cable link; if so which app is required - iTunes ?
No access to a staging PC or Mac; have a 16gb iXpand plugin, but current iPad memory use is > 36gb.

If iCloud is the only option, is the info here still valid (2012) ?
https://osxdaily.com/2012/03/16/transfer-old-ipad-to-new-ipad/