PDA

View Full Version : Nearest airport around University Of British Columbia

CHEASApilot
8th Jun 2019, 08:41
Greetings all,

I am about to enroll for a Master degree at University of British Columbia(non-aviation related), during my studies as a part time activity i would love to fly in a club around. As per TC directives, either a FLV or qualify for a ICAO CA License which would mean sitting for exam and skill test ride. Anyone would mind giving me an idea of the nearest airport from which i can operate ? From there i shall see which flying club should be most appropriate for me.

Regards,

Jason.

Left Coaster
8th Jun 2019, 15:45
CZBB. Boundary Bay, Try the Pacific Flying Club. The drive from UBC isn't a short one. You will need a decent set of wheels. It's about 30 klicks. Enjoy Vancouver!

CHEASApilot
8th Jun 2019, 18:44
CZBB. Boundary Bay, Try the Pacific Flying Club. The drive from UBC isn't a short one. You will need a decent set of wheels. It's about 30 klicks. Enjoy Vancouver!

Thank you very much !

Regards,

Jason.

blahfod
9th Jun 2019, 01:13
Boundary Bay, Pitt Meadows, Langley and Abbotsford are all within the 'vicinity' of Vancouver. Horrendous traffic, and stupid expensive everything should be expected. B.C.actually stands for Bring Cash, not British Columbia. UBC has a beautiful campus, will you be living on or near campus?

FOD

CHEASApilot
9th Jun 2019, 08:14
Boundary Bay, Pitt Meadows, Langley and Abbotsford are all within the 'vicinity' of Vancouver. Horrendous traffic, and stupid expensive everything should be expected. B.C.actually stands for Bring Cash, not British Columbia. UBC has a beautiful campus, will you be living on or near campus?

FOD

On campus, i got the breeze that BC is quite expensive !

Regards,

Jason.

J.O.
11th Jun 2019, 15:03
If you're from Switzerland (especially Zurich), you will already be accustomed to "expensive".

CHEASApilot
11th Jun 2019, 15:10
If you're from Switzerland (especially Zurich), you will already be accustomed to "expensive".

You already got it why so far i've not been worried about people saying BC is expensive. Airplanes are CHF400/hr here. Any idea how much i shall rent a C152 in BC ?

Regards,

Jason.

altiplano
12th Jun 2019, 00:34
You already got it why so far i've not been worried about people saying BC is expensive. Airplanes are CHF400/hr here. Any idea how much i shall rent a C152 in BC ?

Regards,

Jason.

ZBB is definitely the closest from the UBC campus at 30km. YPK and YLY are about twice as far through bad traffic, although the tunnel out to ZBB is ultra horrible both ways in rush hour, so plan your flying accordingly...

Looks like the rates are all there...

​Hourly Rental and Instruction Rates | Pacific Flying Club (http://www.pacificflying.com/members/hourly-rental-and-instruction-rates)​​​​​​

If you want to try something different though, why not try some float flying out of Fort Langley? They used to rent their 180 and had a Super Cub at one point, but I only see a 180 and a Beaver on their website now... I doubt they rent the Beaver, but maybe you can do a check on it...

I mean, if you're Bringing Cash, why just burn around in a 172?

https://fortlangleyair.com/history/

Another idea, depending on how much you're looking to fly, and where you reside, maybe look into rentals out of CYSE... I don't know much about the operation there, but looks like they have a Super Decathalon and a 172, could make some good day trips away from studies, heading up the Sea to Sky going for a rip in a trail dragger in the mountains... no terminal or controllers to deal with, getting a hike in, and finishing the day off at Howe Sound Brewing...

Anyway, have fun.
​​​​​
​​​​​

CHEASApilot
12th Jun 2019, 10:48
​​​​​I mean, if you're Bringing Cash, why just burn around in a 172?
​​​​​

Thanks for all the relevant and useful input. Very simple, at some point i don't want to die freezing cold in BC. I am planning on moving to a hotter country where i intend to own a little C152(very affordable little machine) when i'm done with my studies. Insurance wants you to have at least 100 hrs PIC in one of those to quote you respectively.

Knowing how much a/c costs even when grounded, i rather have a 15(0/2).

Regards,

Jason.

altiplano
12th Jun 2019, 12:54
Thanks for all the relevant and useful input. Very simple, at some point i don't want to die freezing cold in BC. I am planning on moving to a hotter country where i intend to own a little C152(very affordable little machine) when i'm done with my studies. Insurance wants you to have at least 100 hrs PIC in one of those to quote you respectively.

Knowing how much a/c costs even when grounded, i rather have a 15(0/2).

Regards,

Jason.

Gotcha.

I didn't realize you wanted to fly specifically in a 152.

​I thought you were just looking to go out flying for fun... figured the floats etc. might be a different experience than your Swiss flying... or a day up the Sea to Sky with an après flight at the Brew Pub makes a good trip.

I'm surprised insurance companies differentiate much on time on type in light singles. With the exception of maybe time on floats. I don't own an airplane though...

​​​​​​Anyway, good luck. Lots of places you can get to up the coast in a 152 from ZBB.

BluSdUp
2nd Jul 2019, 17:57
Ahhh
Langley 1990/1991 with Skyways.
The fun and the games!
And the full understanding of the word Resession.
As I recall we had no restrictions there, You might want to check if Boundary Bay has any with regards to Vancouver Intl.airspace?
Enjoy Your freedom Lad.
Enjoy.
Regards
Cpt B

dash34
26th Jul 2019, 23:29
You can also go soaring with the Vancouver Soaring Association in Hope.

Vancouver Soaring Association ? Gliding in Hope BC (http://vancouversoaring.com/)

nosefirsteverytime
1st Aug 2019, 23:07
Just to add, I have managed to get to Boundary Bay by bus before. Takes ages & 3 busses from UBC I reckon. Interesting detour to Point Roberts form there, a slice of America at the tip of Canada (Literally!!!) grass strip there with a Pitts & all.

Enjoy BC. Never flew there, but damn i miss it!