PDA

View Full Version : Initial class 1 and hip replacement

chris79waw
4th Jun 2019, 14:07
Good afternoon gentlemen
I am planning to get my medical class one certificate. Last week I was told by my doctor that I may have my left hip replaced soon. Will this stop me to obtain my initial class one certificate?
​​​​

421dog
15th Jun 2019, 22:55
Not necessarily on this side of the pond, but we generally get folks a class 3 and then move them up after a joint replacement.

Of course, it depends a lot on the pathology that is driving the replacement.

chris79waw
15th Jun 2019, 23:08
That must be in USA. Am I right?
I used to have class one in the UK. It expired by now.
​​

cavortingcheetah
16th Jun 2019, 12:22
Go and get your Class 1 certificate before you have been told that you do need a hip replacement. That way you will (probably) not have to stretch anything on the medical form and also, if the time ever does come for a replacement, it will fall within a Class 1 renewal, which will make things much easier than an initial.
As for the pathology of the thing, smashing up against a squash court wall in one's youth seems a good reason for arthritic hip degeneration. I played American squash, not that weedy substitute so beloved of the British. American squash smashes hips, the same way United smashes Guitars.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5YGc4zOqozo

chris79waw
16th Jun 2019, 12:51
Thanks for the answer 😁

bafanguy
16th Jun 2019, 20:02
chris,

Are you in the US or UK ? Several Rochesters around. Hip replacement certainly isn't a deal-breaker issue in the US.

chris79waw
17th Jun 2019, 07:40
I live in Rochester, Kent UK
I will get my medical first and then go for hip replacement.