PDA

View Full Version : PPL Cost and Where?

Piper Warrior Pilot
5th Aug 2002, 14:14
OK. Ive found that South Africa is probably the cheapest place to get a PPL. I was going to start my PPL next week in the UK and have found that i can do my licence in SA for less than half the price it would cost me. So ive decided to save up and go out there next summer. The only problems being i need a list of reputable flying schools and costs and what they include. Also with the accomodation if it is included, will it allow someone else to share the room with you or is that accomodation just for people at the training establishment. This is because my mate will be coming out with me but not doing any flying.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cardinal Puff
5th Aug 2002, 14:51
Warrior

I can recommend a few schools in the Pretoria/Jhb area if you'd like to contact me on [email protected] for more info.

As we move into summer here you can expect more thermal activity and thunderstorms on the highveld. Most of this happens in the late afternoon but you can start flying around 6AM so it doesn't affect you that much. Accomodation can be arranged near most airfields in the area and the general cost of living is pretty cheap compared to the UK. Burger and 2 beers around US$3-00.

JAR could be a problem but I believe there is a school in the area that can help you out.

Irv
5th Aug 2002, 18:29
I certainly rate SA training as better than FAA training for adapting to the UK. I checked out yet another Algoa new SA PPL on Saturday in the UK - very well taught. I've also used Algoa in Port Elizabeth myself for some rental and found 'everything right' and it's a pleasant relatively safe place to have a vacation, etc. Even if you don't end up there for some reason, have a great time whilst learning where-ever you end up - I doubt you'll regret it.

Piper Warrior Pilot
5th Aug 2002, 19:05
Is funny you should mention Algoa. Ive recently contacted them and i am seriously considering going over there next summer. Can you give me some more information on Algoa please.

Thanks

psmd03
5th Aug 2002, 20:12
I got my PPL at algoa in mid july. altogether it took about 5 weeks, it can probably be done in less time but i was i no rush, and I enjoyed the social side of it a bit much. they sort out accomodation for you which is a B&B about 5 mins bike ride from the airport, (they lend you a bike) and if you share a room it should be cheaper. the club is at PE international airport so you will be learning around the 737's which is fun.
after your done you can fly in the uk on your S.A. licence, or you can switch to a uk one, at the moment i think im going to stick with the S.A licence. at least to 100 hours, as I've found a guy who is both JAA and SA qualified in the UK. so renewals and types are no problem.
If you e-mail the flying club they will explain all the differences and the pros and cons of switching.
but overall i had an amazing time, and it was so much cheaper than learning in the uk, plus it didnt take a year, and it was a really good holiday. if you have any specific questions just e-mail me on [email protected], i should be able to answer most things. Ive also got the e-mail addresses of other past Uk students from algoa, im sure they would be happy to answer any questions as well. good luck

pete

Gunship
5th Aug 2002, 22:16
PWP, I got this quote today from 43 Air school, contact Frik Schoombie [email protected] and their web site www.43airschool.com The web site is inter - active for your application and they answered me back in a day !

Friends have send their kids there - all on my recommendation and ALL of the where very happy. As an old bold pilot ... my son will go there as well. Here is some info : Remember R10,44 to $ (was for a long time on R10) and R16, 30 to the pound.

44 hrs of flying training in a PIPER CHEROKEE @ R871 per hr R38 324
1 hrs of training in a FLIGHT SIMULATOR @R 450 per hr R450

Study material, text books etc. as shown below R 1 531
Licence fees R 543
TOTAL COST OF FLYING TRAINING COURSE (14% VAT Incl.) R40 848

For accommodation on campus, add 28 days @ R135 per day R 3 780

Your study materials & equipment (which you keep at the end of the course) consists of: 43 Air School's PPL Manual "Pass Your PPL", Checklist and 140 handbook for the Cherokee Aircraft, Map, Note-book, Circular Navigation Computer, Protractor, Rule, 43 Air School Pilot's Logbook, PPL Training File, Radio Handbook, Radio Workbook, Load Sheet Book, Navigation Book, Clip Board, Aviation Law Book, 1 Blue Overall, 43 Air School Bag. (A fuel strainer, headset and chamois are issued for the duration of the course)

PS: Your price might change bru as you are not from this planet
:rolleyes:

Charlie172
6th Aug 2002, 07:03
Hi Folks,

Did mine at Algoa in April this year. I set aside 5 weeks but completed the PPL in just 4 (46hrs) The last week I was free to fly solo to other fields such as 43AirSchool along the coast in Port Albert. You will also find Algoa's instruction to be very thorough and being a club as well as a school, I think you can expect more personal attention than at larger schools. Accomodation is all sorted for you to a reasonable standard with your own room if you want and they can even arrange car hire. All in you, will get lots of value for your money (It cost me half UK prices including flights & accom !) Also, you may enjoy their frequent social events as well ! Contact Glynis at www.algoafc.co.za and she will
take good care of you - Good Luck !

Piper Warrior Pilot
6th Aug 2002, 09:22
Thanks Charlie72. What were the standards of living like over there. Is the area safe from violence etc...

Also, has algoa got a good reputation because i would like to go to a proper flight school and not a crappy flying club like some of the clus in the UK. Im not saying Algoa is like that, infact ive requested one of their brochures so i am considerinbg it along with 43 Flight School and Progress Academy. Any advice as to which one is the best?

Thanks

Clogmaster
6th Aug 2002, 11:43
43 Air School is what you call a 'proper flying school' and is considered -by some- the only place to go in South Africa. They offer a very structured and thorough training program, and their PPL program is really only the first phase of any further training you do. The social life and culture is excellent!

Despite the large number of students I found the personal attention very good. If you have any problems you will find people have an open door, including the CFI, and are willing to listen and change things for your benefit if necessary.

It all depends largely on you and what sort of a person you are. At 43 you will find a professional environment, which perhaps doesn't suit everybody. If you are in holiday mode and want to relax and decide day by day if/how you want to fly, then perhaps you might find a flying club more flexible?! Can't really say, as my only experience is from 43.

Best of luck anyway and enjoy. It is a stunning environment to fly in, look out for whales during your flights along the coast!

Cheers
CM

Glynis
6th Aug 2002, 17:33
As a Club which owns a fully SA CAA accredited flight school, Algoa is also very much a "professional" school. The big difference is that we are non-profit to promote aviation and can therefore keep costs down. Please do not think that any place which has a club side to it, will give you less professionalism.

Good luck

Piper Warrior Pilot
6th Aug 2002, 18:33
Im seriously considering Algoa but require more information on 43 air schoo,a dn possibly others. Ive contacted 43 but as of yet i have not received an e-mail reply. I also cannot seem to find any prices for the PPL and what they include on the 43 website. Can anyone shed any light on this.

Many thanks

Gunship
7th Aug 2002, 00:46
Qoute from Algoa bru .... I think I might take this one bru ... few bob difference ... sorry I copy and paste from Word and I am f**ed ... you know Tassies se moer bru .. I am on Whiso's lthis late and ...... zzzzzz

ITEM
PRIVATE PILOT LICENCE

C152 dual @ R590/hr
30 hours R 17700

C152 solo @ R500/hr
15 hours R 7500

C152 advanced dual @ R590/hr

C152 hire @ R460/hr

Simulator @ R200/hr

C172 advanced dual @ R700/hr

C172 hire @ R570/hr

C172RG advanced dual @ R800/hr

C172RG hire @ R670/hr

Books & equipment
R 1265

Licence/rating issue fees/landing fees
R 573

Medical (including x-ray)
Approx. R 620

Flight briefings/lectures
R 1250

Ground school

Exam entry fees

Flight test fees

Accommodation (standard)
4 weeks b & b R 3000

TOTAL COURSE COST R31908

ALL PRICES SUBJECT TO CHANGE WITHOUT NOTICE

GormanInkarnati
7th Aug 2002, 18:45
As an alternative have a look at what these guys offer. They have brand new Warriors on their fleet and priced very reasonable
www.ftcafrica.com
You can do your SA PPL and your JAA PPL with them.

Regards

GI

Piper Warrior Pilot
9th Aug 2002, 11:47
Does anyone know what the costs of the PPL course from 43 air school includes?

dievlieg
11th Aug 2002, 09:57
Howzit PWP

FTC used to be a very good school. Don't know what the standards are like there now. You should contact them as well, because they also offer the JAR groundschool. Just do not go for their "on campus" accomodation. You can stay in SA for about a quarter of the price they ask. The other advantage of FTC is that you learn to fly in the bussiest airspace in the country, not a bad thing if you are planning to go fly in Europe afterwards.

Good luck & enjoy!!

Madrigal
14th Aug 2002, 22:54
Anybody know anything about schools based in Cape Town? Especially any school offering JAR as well.
Any info will be appreciated.

Piper Warrior Pilot
15th Aug 2002, 08:14
Cape Town Aero Club and Good Hope Aero Club are both based in Cape Town. Im not sure of their web addresses but do a search on google and i know they will appear top of the search list.

In Port Elizabeth there is the Algoa Flight Centre which is where i plan to do my PPL next summer and next to there, there is the 43 Air School.

I think FTC are the only school which do a JAA licence.

www.43airschool.com

www.algoafc.co.za

Anyway, as i said try a search, you'll be sure to come up with something.

Hope this helps

African Drunk
15th Aug 2002, 18:39
FTC not bad. They have new a/c and generally JAR instructing is good. Watch out for hidden costs such as Jeff's tech lectures. If you want info speak to Jay the JAR mangers as Peter(who deals with enquiries) does not always give the full picture.

As for flying in SA cheap but does not give you the experience of flying in a controlled enviroment due to lack of ATC that will speak to you or are competent. An advantage of US if you are constructive is the ability to fly into large airports like Orlando/miami and the abundance of free IR approaches which will give you valuable experience. SA instructors are generally better than US and the licensing system is closer to JAR.

My only comment on SA pilots is that they often have a "cowboy" attitude to flying not seen in the UK and this can be demonstrated in the number of incidents/crashes in some schools.
I appologise in advance to any who disagree but in my time there i saw many very stupid incidents.

Glynis
16th Aug 2002, 17:19
Excuse me (I know you apologised in advance!), but I beg to differ. Algoa Flight Centre is based at the main Port Elizabeth (PE)airport, where you share the circuit with the big boys. ATC are a delight to deal with, and even visit the school for social events. They always also keep a watchful and helpful eye on students.

PE airport also has 2 main tar runways and is fully equipped for night and instrument flying, so I do not believe PE has to stand back for anyone!

BillClark
28th Aug 2002, 22:50
Newcastle Piper Warrior blokey:
I'm off to Stellenbosch Aero Club - near Cape Town - to start SA PPL 23rd Sept. I'll let you know what it's like!
What attracted me was the Shorter field length, so more circuits in given flight time. My cousin also lives in Cape Town.
It's based in the middle of a wine growing region so I guess everyone's well careful not to crash (would give the wine a keroseney-palate and harm exports! :) ) The place looks beautiful.
The aircraft aren't mega-up to date, and the field has Night lighting, no ILS etc, but FACT is only about 30 miles(?) away.
At the end of the day though, I'm there to see a bit of wild Africa later on in my trip anyway - and bush flying is what I want to learn. I'm not doing an IR so am not fussy.
Also am doing a Class 1 Medical at Gatwick before I leave...£400
...on top of the SA medical you need (costs about £50)
watch this space...
...OH - and if anyone else knows anything about the great field at Stellenbosch - do they want to drop me a line? I've only just discovered this PPRUNE thing and it looks like a real goldmine of info. CHEERS!

Anyway Bru, I'm going there with an open mind, and alot of love for BBQ'd food is a good idea i reckon! Cheers + good luck + slap a wad of Boerwors (the best sausage in the world) on the Braai for me, I might be back in December, but who knows!!
Bill.