PDA

View Full Version : Attaching Photos to email

gehenna
3rd Jun 2019, 10:21
Morning Everyone

Your help again please!

I use Windows Mail 2012, through which I am trying to send photos.

I tried attaching 4 last night, but then had a failure which said there was insufficient memory. I then tried zipping around 12 photos, again without any luck.

Could anyone suggest what I am doing wrong, or not doing.

Thanks very much, as always.

Gehenna

netstruggler
3rd Jun 2019, 12:21
What are the filesizes of your photos?

I would not recommend email attachments exceeding 10-20MB. This might mean only 3 or 4 photos per mail.

Also, if your photos are in jpg form then they are already heavily compressed and zipping them will not help.

There are better ways to share photos than emailing them (Dropbox, Google Drive, iCloud etc.)

If you must email photos I would open them in an editor and save copies at a lower resolution. Some mailing programs will do this automatically for you. You should get filesizes in the 500k to 1MB per picture.

HTH

golfbananajam
3rd Jun 2019, 13:32
Sounds like you may have exceeded the max email size limit to me

jimjim1
3rd Jun 2019, 23:27
Sounds like you may have exceeded the max email size limit to me
I agree.

Attachment Size Limits for Outlook, Gmail, Yahoo, Hotmail, Facebook and WhatsApp.
https://www.thewindowsclub.com/attachment-size-limits-outlook-gmail-yahoo

FullOppositeRudder
3rd Jun 2019, 23:32
There usually isn't much point in sending pictures large than your recipient's monitor resolution; even 1024 x 768 is satisfactory. For most casual email purposes, photos files can be reduced to around 500kb or less without loss of 'quality'. A photo editing program can do this, or it should be able be done after tagging the photo(s), right clicking on the group thus selected, and select "send to" / email recipient. A menu should then be offered which allow selection of a number of size options to which each picture might be reduced.

I've described what is possible with a Windows / Firefox combination; I would be surprised if the MS alternative didn't offer the same path in some form or another...

YorkshireTyke
4th Jun 2019, 08:43
I copy my photos to a folder in my Pictures file ( Window H'eight) then open Picassa photo editing thing, which automatically grabs any photos "folders" Nb. folders only, not individual photographs, tho' a folder may only contain one photo ! These are then dramatically reduced in file size, and I have sent up to about 8 at at time from Outlook on occasions.

gehenna
5th Jun 2019, 08:51
Thank you to all for your comments and advice.

I have come to the conclusion that I have been trying to send too many photos at once, and that the easy solution is to use Dropbox or Google Drive.

Again, I appreciate all help and advice.

Gehenna