PDA

View Full Version : EEG Fail????

skyclamp
2nd Aug 2001, 14:59
As a matter of interest:

How many people have been denied a Class I Medical certificate due to EEG (Elecrical Activity of the Brain) test failure?

There is a movement afoot at the moment for the complete or partial removal of this test altogether, from the Initial Class I - said a MOST reliable source today! There could be news by the end of August!

[ 02 August 2001: Message edited by: skyclamp ]

NigelS
2nd Aug 2001, 16:00
If this is correct information it is certainly very interesting. However, I don't think you will find many respondents in this section as I would imagine those that had failed a class 1 for any reason would probably not continue contributing to the site.
That said the EEG is useful in determining the presence of subclinical neurogenic features that might manifest later on by expression of clinical symptoms. I would imagine though that most neurologists would agree that if you're fortunate to catch (for example) a paroxysmal burst of delta activity in the narrow window of opportunity you have in a short test, there would be other clinical signs extant to deduce the presence of a causative lesion. Which of course then begs the question why bother?
I would counsel the best course of action is to drop the test all together and that the only time it is requested is when there are elements of doubt from clinical history. In asthma history for example the medical examiners would (most likely)require more thorough lung function analyses before issuing the certificate.

Sorry this is a bit long winded.

As an after thought though, if the test is removed I feel the cost should be reduced appropriately.

Kind regards

Nigel :)

E-Fizz
2nd Aug 2001, 16:59
Hello folks, great to be contributing again!
I was told by the CAA after sending them my medical records that they would fail me if I were to attend for a class 1 or ANY class of medical. As you can see NigelS I am still reading these boards AND contributing to them :)

I had an 'isolated incident' five and a half years ago, subsequently took all the tests, was given the all clear but in my case the CAA have chosen to apply the DVLA ten year rule, i.e. no solo operation before ten years have elapsed from the date of the case. The problem with the rules governing medical fitness to fly is interperetation. Having read the JAA medi regs and based upon my medi notes I felt that I had a more than reasonable case to present having found an 'identifiable' cause to my attack. But the guys who matter didn't see it that way.

Very recently I visited a Professor of Neurology who told me that the EEG, even in a diagnosed epiliptec will very rarely show evidence of the underlying condition and vice-versa, transient spikes do not neccesarily indicate any predisposition. If there is a physiological condition this is shown up with a CAT scan, which the CAA don't do but considering their attitude towards what they interperate as epilepsy maybe they should! (Price would go up NigelS not down!!!! :) )

The bottom line? The regs say what they say and as wannabes we're powerless to change the way they are interperated. It is harsh to exclude people like this but because there's no empirical way of determing whether someone will or wont fit or have any more 'fits' all the CAA can do is refer to the statistics but I remain very sceptical.

Another doctor told me that the chances of recurrence are reduced to that of any other individual SIX years after the event. In light of this maybe the CAA are being slightly ruthless applying the ten year rule. All things said, if the attitude towards what they determine as epilepsy or a predisposition to it is going to change, I for one will be very happy. May all your landings be good ones ... ... :) :)

Tarmach
2nd Aug 2001, 17:13
E-Fizz,

Have you considered it may not have been an epiliptec fit. What about an adverse reaction to Aspartame found in soft drinks?? I think its Aspartame that is under investigation with the FAA.

NigelS
2nd Aug 2001, 17:19
...if the EEG is removed the cost will go down. If it's replaced by CAT and MRI then obviously it will go up. If the AME bases all on clinical history given and basic clinical tests for CNS function there's probably no need to go down the EEG road. Obviously if your clinical history includes seizure, they're going to want to investigate it further.

Nuff said!! Surely??

sydneyc
2nd Aug 2001, 17:33
Nigel S,

Who ever said your PhD wouldn't come in useful in aviation!!?! I would take my hat off to you, were I wearing one, for the most informed posting I have seen!

That said, your alarming cogency on procedure and protocol has caused some extraordinary synapse activity and I have had to retire to a dark room for a while!

sydneyc

NigelS
2nd Aug 2001, 17:45
Hey Guy!
I'll swap my PhD for your hours man!

Nige

Sorry Skyclamp..

E-Fizz
2nd Aug 2001, 18:09
Investigate further yes, but it is the interperatation of the results under the framework of the regs that is open to question here.