PDA

View Full Version : So how do we afford 50K!!!!

llesson
5th Aug 2002, 12:22
I keep looking at threads on pprune and everyone goes on about 35k being a good price for the CPL/IR but to me 35k is a hell of a lot of money( fair enough its money well spent if you fullfill your dream) so how do we all afford these courses. I know about the usual, sponsorship, bankloans, overdrafts and family help but are there any other ways?????

Baldie Man
5th Aug 2002, 12:29
Robbery.

Field In Sight
5th Aug 2002, 12:36
Time.

In the last ten years I've probably pissed 35,000 up the wall.

Tinker
5th Aug 2002, 12:51
Beg, borrow, steal and save. I spent my entire savings on my trainning, wish I'd spent it on a second house now (3years ago), sold it then spent the profit on it. Now's not the time to be rushing into trainning anyway.

llesson
5th Aug 2002, 13:38
So you dont think i should start my full time CPL/IR in the near future??

foghorn
5th Aug 2002, 13:48
Now may be a good time to make a start on modular training. Don't go giving up the day job (if you have one) yet - get cracking on part time training - it'll take you well over a year (assuming you're going from a standing start) to be in the position where you need to train full time, by that time we'll know more about Gulf War 2 and any job market recovery.

You'll also pay less by going modular.

With things as they are I personally wouldn't go for integrated training at the moment.

The prospects are dreadful for low-hour fATPLs at the moment believe me (and I'm lucky enough to have a non-aviation job to pay for IR renewals, beer, loan repayments etc.).

cheers!
foggy.

Elvis21
5th Aug 2002, 13:58
Sound advice from Foggy. Don't rush in head first just yet:D

foghorn
5th Aug 2002, 14:25
By the way I'd say that £35,000 is a little light for a CPL/IR. I'd budget £40,000 for modular, £60,000 for Integrated.

Very very few people get through on minimum hours with full sets of first time passes that the course fees advertised by schools are based upon.

It's a long long process and you always end up spending more than you'd like. It's just one of those many things that needs to be taken on the chin in aviation.

cheers!
foggy.

llesson
5th Aug 2002, 14:38
Thanks for the advice guys. Currently dispatching at LGW so may just do the part time things for now!!!!

worzel
5th Aug 2002, 16:02
Dont forget that in the period between becoming qualified and getting your first job, you need to remain current. This means renewing ratings and medical and getting as many hours practice as possible. This all adds up too. I estimate that I've spent in exess of £50 000 and I've got another renewal coming up soon.

So where do you get this money? Its easy.....Fraud.

worzel

Cheshire cat EGHH
5th Aug 2002, 17:47
Train to be a table dancer like me!!!!!!!!

Tinker
5th Aug 2002, 18:44
Foggys got it pretty much spot on. You're in a good position at Gatwick, see if you can do a bit of subtle 'networking' whilst your there, ask questions and get to know people but don't become a pest etc.
Most jobs are not advertised and a bit of inside knowlage goes a long way. Almost everyone I know who has got a job in the last year (and thats not many) got a 'nod' from the inside.

G-SPOTs Lost
5th Aug 2002, 22:37
There are ways:

One of the easiest ways to fund it is break it down to bite size chunks.

This why I get fed up with these 17 year old guys or as somebody once called them on this forum" I've got to borrow 60k, Im under 19 and I deserve a RHS Job in a boeing Brigade" that want to go and borrow a fortune with their parents guarantee.

lets face it not many of us can put our sticky mitts on 3.5k never mind 35k. The simple thing is to break it down "modularly !?" I'd always beg/borrow/save for the next step. The stage at which it turns the corner is when you get to instruct. This means there is some money coming back and at the same time you carry on with your dayjob. I instructed 7.00am to 8.30am - days work- 6.00pm to 9.00pm 5 days a week and 9-9 saturday and sunday.

I did that for 6 months before I realised I had to cool it a bit.

before you get to instruct you need to pay for a CPL course, your ATPL exams and an instructors rating. That a lot of dough.

Keep a job, maintain a very high credit rating by servicing your debt well and dont forget if it takes you three years then you are "only" 15k in debt at any one time on a rolling basis.

Its a lot of money but its do-able and manageable.

You'll need that credit rating when you need to borrow for an IR, but of course in theory a well paid job should be just around the corner after that little milestone.

Best of luck, enjoy it and don't be in too much of a rush to get into the rhs of something heavy.

As my IR Examiner said to me after he had just breifed me on the test "Dont Forget, Flying is FUN" getting there is supposed to be fun too.

Wee Weasley Welshman
6th Aug 2002, 01:58
G-Spot - you just paraphrased something I once said on this forum about the journey several years ago. Felt spooky reading that. You are so right.

doubleu-anker
6th Aug 2002, 07:15
If you are in a position to start training now, I would if I were you. There will be a big shortage of pilots in the next 2 to 3 years, believe me. Why?

Here is why. Most people are doing exactly, as some of them above with their advise to you. They simply will not take the "gamble" therefore very few trainees coming through.

You have to have the licence to be concidered for the job that comes up. :)