PDA

View Full Version : Samsung Phone Crash

maxed-out
29th May 2019, 15:54
Good day,

My Galaxy Note 2 crashed this weekend. It only displays the boot up screen or charging icon and that’s it. Now, I have been a bad boy and not backed it up for ages.

is there any software out there to recover my contacts and data even though the phone seems totally dead? Many thanks.

m-o

andytug
29th May 2019, 17:02
Have you tried a hard reboot? Hold power button and volume up button down together for up to 30 secs until the phone reboots.

maxed-out
30th May 2019, 09:50
Hi,

Yes i have tried that as well. I also looked into a youtube video that allows one to access the same menu and do a factory reset but then I'd lose all my data.

It's my own fault really...

yellowtriumph
30th May 2019, 16:25
Can you take the SIM card out and try it in another unit in order to try and save the pertinent data .. then reload it to your factory rest phone?

maxed-out
30th May 2019, 18:10
Hi yellowtriumph

i did just that and put it into my misses old iPhone only to find most my contacts where saved to “device”. What I’m really after is some software ideas that could possibly extract everything from a dead phone.
Can you take the SIM card out and try it in another unit in order to try and save the pertinent data .. then reload it to your factory rest phone?

andytug
30th May 2019, 18:19
Hmmm... A lot of them use WiFi (e.g. Airdroid) which needs the phone to be live.
Have you tried plugging it into a PC with a USB lead, see if the PC will recognise it as an external drive, get files off that way?

Jhieminga
30th May 2019, 20:28
Some of the data may be on a MicroSD card, if your phone has one of these. You can read that one with a USB reader, but your contacts will most likely not be there.

With Android phones, you might be able to take another phone and log into the same Google account on that one. There's a chance that your Google account will have a partial backup of what's on the phone. You may be able to check this some other way, but I'm not that familiar with Android/Google. Best to try other options first, plugging it into a PC would be my first attempt as well.

FullOppositeRudder
31st May 2019, 00:53
I hesitate to even offer this, but from what I can see on the web, that model still has a battery which is user replaceable. If so - an I'm sure that you've tried this already as part of the card shuffle - try leaving the battery out for a couple of minutes and reinstall it, trying andytug's initial suggestion if it doesn't respond in the normal way. I'm presuming that the battery is charged - otherwise there wouldn't be anything at all to see.

A commercial data recovery outfit is perhaps the last resort but they will charge accordingly for even having a try. Good luck; we all can come to trust the integrity and reliability of these things too easily and get casual about backing up the stuff they hold. I've done it myself.

maxed-out
1st Jun 2019, 08:25
Thank you folks. I’ll do as you’ve all suggested. Failing that, it’ll be the hard slog of finding the contacts the old fashioned way of ringing friends of friends, phone book etc :uhoh:

Tasyery
17th Jun 2019, 07:43
It will take a long time.