PDA

View Full Version : FAA ATPL(H) IFR

Spunk
29th May 2019, 15:13
What would be the fastest way to receive a FAA ATPL(H) incl. IFR rating in order to be eligible to fly an N-registered twin-engined helicopter </= 3175 kg MTOM ?

Experience:
FAA CPL(H) (medical expired) not used in the past 20 years
EASA CPL(H) with ATP credit
EASA FI(H)
EASA FE(H)
EASA IFR ground school completed
types flown: BO105 / Bell 407 / Bell 206 Jet- and Long-Ranger / EC120 / R44 / R22 / H269 / Enstrom / Cabri G2
TT: > 6000 hours

Could any of the EASA stuff be credited towards the FAA ATPL or the IFR?

GoodGrief
29th May 2019, 21:27
No need for an ATP, the CPL is fine. Reactivate the CPL with a fresh medical and a BFR 61.56.

havick
29th May 2019, 22:10
If you want to fly It IFR then you will need the FAA instrument add-on.

that being said it’s just as easy to take the FAA ATP written and do an ATP flight test assuming you meet the ATP flight time minimums in the FAR’s part 61.

when I moved over to the USA from Australia the most efficient and non-rip off school to foreigners was Cloud 9 helicopters in West Palm Beach Florida. The owner is a Brit expat and looks after guys switching stuff over.

if you just want to fly VFR on your FAA license then as pointed out above just renew your FAA medical and have flight review done with an FAA instructor. Good to go.

212man
30th May 2019, 07:44
types flown: BO105 / Bell 407 / Bell 206 Jet- and Long-Ranger / EC120 / R44 / R22 / H269 / Enstrom / Cabri G2

None of those even require a type rating in the US, so I doubt they will offer any advantage

Spunk
2nd Jun 2019, 19:32
Thanks for your replies. So I guess it‘s:

Renew FAA medical
biannual
FAA IFR written test
FAA IFR training
FAA IFR checkride
Gain some IFR experience
ATPL(H) checkride

Thanks again.

havick
3rd Jun 2019, 04:25
Thanks for your replies. So I guess it‘s:

Renew FAA medical
biannual
FAA IFR written test
FAA IFR training
FAA IFR checkride
Gain some IFR experience
ATPL(H) checkride

Thanks again.

just make sure you have the requisite experience outlined in part 61. There’s also night and x-country Mins etc.

gulliBell
3rd Jun 2019, 09:29
FAA IFR checkride
Gain some IFR experience
ATPL(H) checkride

The ATP-H check ride is an IFR check ride. Can't see how you need to gain further IFR experience...you either have it to do the IFR/ATP check ride or you don't. What snookers many ATP-H aspiring applicants is the 100 hours night pre-requisite.

Nubian
4th Jun 2019, 06:01
The ATP-H check ride is an IFR check ride. Can't see how you need to gain further IFR experience...you either have it to do the IFR/ATP check ride or you don't. What snookers many ATP-H aspiring applicants is the 100 hours night pre-requisite.

Unless an applicant use 75hrs to get his Instrument (or 35 hrs more than the requirement) license, he will have to gain some experience to reach the 75hrs instrument experience requirement for the ATP... Ref Far Part 61.161

Far Part 61.65 for instrument

Robbiee
4th Jun 2019, 15:10
Unless an applicant use 75hrs to get his Instrument (or 35 hrs more than the requirement) license, he will have to gain some experience to reach the 75hrs instrument experience requirement for the ATP... Ref Far Part 61.161

Far Part 61.65 for instrument

Over here in FAA land most aspiring career pilots teach as their first job, so 75 hours instrument isn't usually a problem. Its already been said, but yeah, its night hours that usually hangs people up.

AW4EVER
5th Jun 2019, 07:00
Hi everybody,

I have read some lines, and I have a question, a pilot with EASA ATPL license how much exams might need to have an FAA license?
And if FAA would recognize AW139 and H145 type ratings on the license,
And in your opinion, where could I find the "most serious" flight school to perform the conversion?

Thanks for your replies.

GoodGrief
5th Jun 2019, 07:50
There is only one written test for the ATP.
Get this as a book or the software version
https://www.asa2fly.com/Test-Prep-2019-Airline-Transport-Pilot-P3955C22.aspx

The FAA only issues type ratings for helicopters heavier than 5700kg, so only the 139 would be stamped onto your certificate. (https://www.asa2fly.com/Test-Prep-2019-Airline-Transport-Pilot-P3955C22.aspx)

AW4EVER
5th Jun 2019, 18:14
There is only one written test for the ATP.
Get this as a book or the software version
https://www.asa2fly.com/Test-Prep-2019-Airline-Transport-Pilot-P3955C22.aspx

The FAA only issues type ratings for helicopters heavier than 5700kg, so only the 139 would be stamped onto your certificate. (https://www.asa2fly.com/Test-Prep-2019-Airline-Transport-Pilot-P3955C22.aspx)

Thanks a lot for this, do you know any serious school ? All i had called, always the same and looking for money, I mean I know there is a cost but at least with results and not only promises.....

Happy landings,

havick
5th Jun 2019, 18:41
Thanks a lot for this, do you know any serious school ? All i had called, always the same and looking for money, I mean I know there is a cost but at least with results and not only promises.....

Happy landings,

Cloud 9 helicopters in West Palm beach sorted my Aussie to FAA ATP. Didn’t charge me any extra and did everything in bare minimum. I think I did maybe 2 hours prep flying in an R22 just to get used to local procedures and then the test.

Geoff Painter is the owner (a Brit), and seriously looks after expats and international guys.

Bell pilot
6th Jun 2019, 14:16
Cloud 9 helicopters in West Palm beach sorted my Aussie to FAA ATP. Didn’t charge me any extra and did everything in bare minimum. I think I did maybe 2 hours prep flying in an R22 just to get used to local procedures and then the test.

Geoff Painter is the owner (a Brit), and seriously looks after expats and international guys.
Some one told me we need to fly 10 hours before skill check. Is it mandatory or depends on proficiency

havick
6th Jun 2019, 18:41
Some one told me we need to fly 10 hours before skill check. Is it mandatory or depends on proficiency

Going straight to an ATP in theory you could do the test without any prep flying.

id have to check the regs for PPL/CPL.