PDA

View Full Version : Jerez...ground school and flight school

prob30
2nd Aug 2001, 14:59
Interested to hear from instructors and students at Jerez and there thoughts on the quality of ground and flight instruction. Any idea when Jerez may become and JAR approved school? Also anyone who was deciding between cabair and Jerez and went for Jerez. How much does it cost???

Ta.

Steve McNair
2nd Aug 2001, 15:16
In addition does anyone know if Jezez has any plans to go modular? Given the prices at Oxford i'm sure it would be popular !!!

Regards

window-seat
2nd Aug 2001, 15:48
Jerez is fully JAR approved, cost is about 49,500 all inc. :D

Capt Wannabe
2nd Aug 2001, 22:17
I would have to second wxjedi there. The school is full JAR approved by the UK CAA and appears in thier list of approved FTOs, both for CPL/IR and ATPL/IR.
The groundschool has improved no end, even since Christmas, and the results reflect the hard work that has been done by both students and staff along the way.
Flying is first class, with very few problems. Any problems are mainly things such as Flight Plans not arriving in Seville, or ATC being deliberatly obstructive. For a period there was no flying on Mon/Fri due to ATC restrictions, but this has been lifted now and flying takes place 7 days a week.
To answer the original question, for me there was no choice between Cabair and here. Would you go to an expensive muddy field with a few portacabins near Bedford, or a brand new (although building on past expertise) company, with a fleet of superbly maintained aircraft in the South of Spain where the accommodation is first class?
Why not come and look around and see what you think?

prob30
3rd Aug 2001, 00:18
my problem is that i am at cabair... in the early stages. I think i have made a bit of an error! Anyone got any ideas if i cna somehow slot in to jerez rather than starting from scratch?? Is there still a selection process?

window-seat
3rd Aug 2001, 00:55
Hi prob30,

What sort of error? how far in are you?

So it is
3rd Aug 2001, 12:06
I would also back up CW and wxjedi, dont hang about book your place as self sponsored places are getting harder to get at Jerez as they are committed to BA.

Prob 30 I do know of one person who did his JARs at Oxford and is presently finishing his flying at Jerez. Give Marie-Joe a phone and she might be able to help you out. Best of luck.

QUERY
3rd Aug 2001, 20:13
Capt Wannabee and window-Seat seem to be working for these people, so why aren't they banned for mis-use of this site?

So it is
3rd Aug 2001, 22:36
CW is definetly a student at Jerez, who like most of the students past and present think it is a good school and great value for money!!

martinf
4th Aug 2001, 00:44
Can guarantee that these boys do not work for them. I am here at the mo and it is a great place - a couple of niggles but you will get that with anything in life. My advice would be to come out here and visit and talk to people face to face. If you need a word then e-mail me and I can meet you here and chat to you.

Re the groundschool - the instructors are good but they do have dire material to work with. Food is great (from previous thread) unless you are really picky.

Try it and visit the other schools. I was in the pool after class at 5 today and I know I would not be doing that at Oxford or SFT. But I am also working a coule of hours tonight.
Take your pick and spend the money.
:cool:

Wor
4th Aug 2001, 04:30
HI Query

lighten up, I know that this is a rumour page but not everyone here is a 'promote a training centre' kind of guy, window-seat is supposedly starting in Jerez in Oct with myself so he may have every right to be v keen on Jerez as that is the place he has chosen (like myself) and even if he was from Jerez you can't tell me that you believe everything in this pages of wisdom!!!As everyone knows this is only rumours and supposed to be taken with a pinch of salt...... aren't we all just trying to get the best place for training at the best price and alot of us have different expectations at the end of the day..........

Long live choice and c u in Spain Window-seat

Wor :)

scroggs
4th Aug 2001, 12:19
Query,
I am very happy for students of any school to post their experiences here, good or bad. BAe Jerez gets consistently good reports from a wide range of current and ex-students; why does that bother you?
Pprune doesn't allow open advertising by the owners of any aviation business, nor advertising of personal items for sale. Recommendation posts are welcome. Perhaps you'd rather all posts were mean, nasty and bad tempered - somewhat like yours? :mad:

Capt Wannabe
4th Aug 2001, 14:09
Query
I, Capt Wannabe am most definately a student at BAe in Jerez. As for the other person you refer to, Capt Wannabee, I have no idea who he is.
If you don't believe anything that has been said, then come over here, have a look around, and buy me a beer. :D
Prob30
Only thing I can suggest is that you get on the phone PDQ to the marketing department as they may be able to sort something out for you.

window-seat
4th Aug 2001, 19:48
Query

As Wor says, having done months of research, (and saving up, selling everything I own etc), I have made my choice, and yes, it is fair to say I am looking forward to getting on with my training.

The comments I have posted here are my own thoughts and findings, and you can take them as you will. I hope you too will be happy with the choice you make.

Wor

I have sent you an e-mail re: car-share etc.

See you soon :D

Would like any usefull hints from anyone already at Jerez.

Thanx.

ROTATION
5th Aug 2001, 03:24
My day today in Jerez:

Woke up late due to having one too many at the bar last night. Strolled over to the pool-did 10 lengths then went for lunch. The food here is excellent, especially considering the scale on which they produce it-there will always be moaners however. Then a couple of hours met revision in my marble floored air conditioned room. Unable to resist the sun any longer I took my folder to the pool and alternated between reading my notes and swimming. Then dinner, then a bit more work, then a pint, then a movie in the dolby surround TV room.....

Happy Days :D :D

Can't imagine it gets much better than this anywhere else. But I would say that!

Wee Weasley Welshman
5th Aug 2001, 20:48
Rotation - that used to be entire life minus the having to read boring ATPL books! I sometimes think I might need my head read...

Now no swimming in that pool after beers you here me - its Damned dangerous and I should know...

;)

Eno
6th Aug 2001, 01:31
Hi all,

Wonder if you could tell me where you can sit the apptitude tests for the Integrated course, do you have to go to Spain :D or can you sit them in the UK??

Also are they similar to the Aer Lingus tests or are they more like the BA computer based ones?

Appreciate some info
thanks
Eno

window-seat
6th Aug 2001, 16:11
Hi Eno,

If you already have suitable school, uni grades, you will probably be able to skip the test. Send for and complete their application form first. (some previous flying will also help). :D

Wee Weasley Welshman
6th Aug 2001, 16:26
All self sponsored have to take the tests. This can be done at jerez or in the UK.

Last price I know of was £160. The tests themselves are very comprehensive and are truly validated against aircrew psychometric data.

You get a full set of results on your tests and this - if nothing else - will enable you to target your weaker areas for future selection procedures.

Good luck,

tunneler
6th Aug 2001, 23:53
sorry to dissapoint WWW but not all students have to sit aptitude testing for BAe ' come to think of it I havent met one person who has as of yet.......... mebbes you know something I dont??

Regards

Tunny

Wor
7th Aug 2001, 00:20
I think that they are accepting GAPAN tests if you are in the UK, so might be worth doing that instead.

Off to Jerez soon (I hope)

Wor :)

Eno
7th Aug 2001, 00:37
Cheers folks,

I hope to be sitting the GAPAN tests at the next opportunity so if all goes well I might be seeing some of you folks early next year!!

WWW, are there set dates for the tests ie once a month, or do you just ring and make an appointment?

Thanks Folks
Eno

martinf
8th Aug 2001, 00:19
My Day today:

Six hours of lectures broken by lunch (a nice one at that) and then an hour at the pool sunning and swimming. Then a couple fo hours study followed by the old e-mail and then beddy byes for me.

Oh did I mention that a guy quit a course today, the school is suing spanish ATC, a newspaper is claiming that BAe is bankrupt and a flying instructor had a heart attack.

One might say it was an eventful day ;)

window-seat
8th Aug 2001, 00:35
POTATO HEAD,

Was the the guy who quit today a student or an instructor? What were his reasons? :confused:

VFE
8th Aug 2001, 15:37
**COUGH**

Say again Potato Head???? :eek:

Wee Weasley Welshman
8th Aug 2001, 17:12
Please email me immediately to explain who had a heart attack.

martinf
10th Aug 2001, 00:47
Guy who dropped out was on a course and apparently did not really get on with it and also he had some personal problems at home.

The guy who had a heart attack WWW I am afraid I am not sure - I think it was a Brian someone. We just heard about it. We are not on the flying side yet.

Sorry.

I am sure someone else will post it when they find out. I know he is recovering in hospital.

Cheers

cabair16
10th Aug 2001, 19:31
The news is.......
Andy Brown suffered a very mild heart attack last Friday.
He is now resting at home and assures us it was really a touch of wind !!
All the best for a speedy recovery

Mister Geezer
11th Aug 2001, 22:20
Are BAE in Jerez still using 4 Forces notes for the ATPL groundschool????

MG