PDA

View Full Version : R22 Helo crash YMMB

ACMS
28th May 2019, 08:19
I’m surprised this isn’t already a thread......https://www.9news.com.au/national/news-melbourne-helicopter-crashes-at-moorabbin-airport/fd85b8a9-64d3-428c-947f-4c83f00dd56f

gulliBell
28th May 2019, 09:00
It's just another R22 prang, they happen all the time. Nothing of interest here.

cattletruck
28th May 2019, 12:14
Quite windy in Melbourne the past few days, and those robbies are a totally different beast in those conditions - definitely not for low timers.

Oh well, their hanger was getting pretty crowded anyway with all that extra good kit arriving. Glad to see they all walked away.

Squawk7700
28th May 2019, 20:54
I liked the 7 news pic of it, even an armchair expert can see what happened to it!

https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/1334x750/bf5e1e0a_68ec_4fc1_8ccd_cfc32a79fcb2_6f6db791ded8491c27e7ba5 ff9e3775fbb01d675.png

thunderbird five
28th May 2019, 22:02
Emergency response crew transcript just released:
What do you think Colin?
It's dead mate.
Stevo?
It's rooted.
Mick?
Tag it and bag it.
Sharon?
Those scratches will buff out, no problem.
Andy?
I like the color.

Righto. Anyone care for some lunch?

Sunfish
28th May 2019, 22:56
Gullible: It’s just another R22 prang, they happen all the time. Nothing of interest here.]

I guess the pilot might disagree with you.

megan
29th May 2019, 00:50
Roger Bacon's analysis: A little late on the round out Hoskins.

gulliBell
29th May 2019, 01:35
I guess the pilot might disagree with you.

I strongly suspect they know exactly what happened. By the look of it, perfectly level at touchdown, which is great, but the sink rate a bit too high, which is not so great. As evidenced by the big divot in the turf and the ball of yellow scrap sitting next to it. A bit late on the heave at the bottom, or a bit too early on the heave at the bottom. A 59 year and a 79 year old on board. Interesting. I assume the trainee was the older participant. Why a 79 year old would want to be partaking in such an exciting escapade is the big mystery in all of this.

john_tullamarine
29th May 2019, 01:53
evidenced by the big divot in the turf

Given the typical deceleration loadings in helo impacts, these look to be two very lucky boys not to have come out with significant compression spinal injuries. As to 79-year olds, why not ? and good on him !

Although I sometimes do wonder about the 89-year olds taking their first foray into jumping ..

Petropavlovsk
29th May 2019, 04:21
Megan,

Well done (RB) but probably straight over the heads of most:O

machtuk
29th May 2019, 04:44
I strongly suspect they know exactly what happened. By the look of it, perfectly level at touchdown, which is great, but the sink rate a bit too high, which is not so great. As evidenced by the big divot in the turf and the ball of yellow scrap sitting next to it. A bit late on the heave at the bottom, or a bit too early on the heave at the bottom. A 59 year and a 79 year old on board. Interesting. I assume the trainee was the older participant. Why a 79 year old would want to be partaking in such an exciting escapade is the big mystery in all of this.

I too was thinking their ages especially the 'senior' driver BUT we can't say anything abut that these days somebody will become an upset princess...lolol I guess one could look at age V risk like a roller coaster graph. When yr young you are fearless taking all sorts of risk just cause you know no better then approaching middle age other influences have an effect of yr level of risk taking, family, the wife especially so you ease it up a little, watch more than participate in dangerous stunts like light Heli flying. As yr age advances rapidly towards the so called best years of yr life you start thinking gee what have I got to lose here, am gunna die soon enough anyway why not, lets go play heli flying at 79, what's the worst that can happen? Other than being dead it's being posted on PPRUNE...lol

LeadSled
29th May 2019, 07:55
Folks,
The remaining question is: Will the players replace their divots??
Tootle pip!!

Sunfish
29th May 2019, 12:02
The remaining question is: Will the players replace their divots??
Tootle pip!!

Do the other R22s play through?

industry insider
29th May 2019, 13:17
Roger Bacon's analysis: A little late on the round out Hoskins.

Understatement Mr. Bacon. That was a real skid spreader!

gulliBell
30th May 2019, 00:50
..Will the players replace their divots??

The divot was almost big enough to bury the crumpled yellow remnants where it lay. Just push it into the hole and cover it over. Save the expense of calling the crane to pick it up and drop it in the mini skip out the back of the hangar. Anyway, the insurance will pay up, might even buy them half a shiny new one. I wonder if the student has to pay the hourly rate for that training flight up to the point of self destruction?

tail wheel
30th May 2019, 01:06
Although I sometimes do wonder about the 89-year olds taking their first foray into jumping ..

John, I have always seriously wondered about any supposedly sane person jumping out of a perfectly serviceable aircraft when airborne........ :confused:

LeadSled
30th May 2019, 08:39
John, I have always seriously wondered about any supposedly sane person jumping out of a perfectly serviceable aircraft when airborne........ :confused:
My sentiments entirely!!!
However, a very well known AU aviator has done a tandem jump at 85, 90 and 95, and 100 is very close.
Whatever turns you on??
Tootle pip!!

Andy_RR
31st May 2019, 02:56
So it's a numbers game in the end, Leadie...?

cooperplace
31st May 2019, 07:04
I liked the 7 news pic of it, even an armchair expert can see what happened to it!

https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/1334x750/bf5e1e0a_68ec_4fc1_8ccd_cfc32a79fcb2_6f6db791ded8491c27e7ba5 ff9e3775fbb01d675.png

Yes. It crashed.

Remind me to not fly in any R22s. All too common a thing in these.

megan
31st May 2019, 10:29
I have always seriously wondered about any supposedly sane person jumping out of a perfectly serviceable aircraft when airborneIf you haven't jumped you haven't lived.

Reading the reports I've come to the conclusion that the most dangerous part of jumping today is the aeroplane ride.

Kulwin Park
31st May 2019, 10:33
Training is the most dangerous part of flying!
Learning to fly involves a high risk!
The R22 is a training aircraft!
Yes, this aircraft will have a high accident rate!
The instructor can not always save the day, just soften it!

gulliBell
31st May 2019, 22:13
The instructor should always be able to save the day, by making sure the situation doesn't deteriorate to the extent where saving is not possible.

Capt Fathom
1st Jun 2019, 02:00
Ah. The perfect world scenario!

ACMS
1st Jun 2019, 03:38
The instructor should always be able to save the day, by making sure the situation doesn't deteriorate to the extent where saving is not possible.

yes correct, if he can’t then he’s not in the right job.

megan
1st Jun 2019, 04:31
yes correct, if he can’t then he’s not in the right job Oh to live in a perfect world where instructors don't make mistakes, I'll fly with you Capt Fathom, a realist.