PDA

View Full Version : Herc action

dead_pan
27th May 2019, 18:58
For those of you who haven't seen the following vid doing the rounds on social media:

https://youtu.be/SEhcyvQic2s

Interested to know what tactical advantage such a formation would have over say individual a/c flying their own (deconflicted) tracks? Eggs in one fairly noisy and slow moving package and all that...

Herod
27th May 2019, 19:20
Well, I suppose someone has to start it. Short comment "poor man's JATFOR". Disclaimer. I left the C130 force over 40 years ago, so there is probably a lot I don't know. However, my ten cent's worth.

Pro. It allows a concentration of troops quickly into a small area.

Con. To my mind, far too close together to allow for safe exit of paras; especially when the following aircraft is below the leader. Too close for extraction chutes to function without jeopardising the following aircraft.

So, not a lot of tactical use, but looks like fun!! :ok:

Chugalug2
27th May 2019, 20:14
I left even before you Herod but concur with your comments. Having first toured in Changi (it was hell!) on 48 Sqn Hastings, I arrived at Colerne just in time for the annual "Tense Caper" (was any exercise better named?). Pre flight briefings that lasted even longer than the flight to the DZ, much synchronising of watches, scatter and penetration plans (ooer Missus). And that was only the Hastings stream, ditto Argosy and Beverley ones. All designed to drop the Para Brigade into Europe to confound a soviet invasion. What could possibly go wrong? Mig? What Mig?

I once asked why we had 60 Hercules. "To drop the Para Brigade". Why do we have a Para Brigade? "Because we have 60 Hercules". Such is the logic of tidy minds. If we had launched for real it would have been a case of "Goodbye Sir, or should I say au revoir?" "No Bloggs, Goodbye!"

Herod
27th May 2019, 21:54
I was told by someone way above my pay grade that we would never use it, because it would be suicide without air-superiority. Since NATO runs from northern Norway to eastern Turkey, what air-superiority? Quite apart from the time taken to assemble the required number of aircraft.

Still reckon it looks like fun

Runaway Gun
28th May 2019, 00:11
If nothing else, a bit of morale and skill boosting for the aircrew who probably get to have no fun anymore. Let them enjoy it.

unmanned_droid
28th May 2019, 08:10
Was this part of an ex or a commemorative event? 3 RAF hercs down low would be unusual today but 4 USAF hercs in (loose) formation in the valleys could be unique?

Davef68
28th May 2019, 09:34
Was this part of an ex or a commemorative event? 3 RAF hercs down low would be unusual today but 4 USAF hercs in (loose) formation in the valleys could be unique?

One might almost think they were rehearsing for something. Adding some low level formation training to the end of a rehearsal for the D-Day commemoration?

NutLoose
28th May 2019, 11:20
4 laps, perhaps they got stuck in the loop ;)

I wonder if each circuit they took turns leading, it would make sense.

Cornish Jack
28th May 2019, 17:45
Herod makes good points re. the 'cons' Early Bev exercise in Norway, formation was ( IIRC) half wing overlap 3 ship. Sweat generator par excellence!! One of lead's troops clobbered our wing en route! :eek: Subsequent formation was line astern 15 (or 30?) second separation. Lessons learned - as they say!

pettinger93
28th May 2019, 17:54
Many years ago, I was walking the dog in East Sussex on the day of a major flypast at Buckingham Palace ( royal funeral perhaps?), when a close formation of 9 Hercules came over at about 500 feet. I heard them a long time before I saw them, and it sounded like a bomber stream in WW2. The dog went crazy, and it took me 30 mins to find her again. Shortly afterwards I watched the actual flypast on TV, and remember noting that there were only 7 Hercules in it, so presume that the other 2 had other things to do.

ORAC
29th May 2019, 19:29
https://twitter.com/aviationdailyy/status/1133785258946695171?s=21

taxydual
29th May 2019, 20:11
ORAC

"Speechless One, is this a practice?"

212man
30th May 2019, 08:33
https://twitter.com/aviationdailyy/status/1133785258946695171?s=21I wonder what 'Plan B' is?

NutLoose
3rd Jun 2019, 09:04
Ramstein C-130Js with ?invasion stripes? head to Normandy for 75th D-Day anniversary (http://www.c-130.net/c-130-news-article582.html)

ShyTorque
3rd Jun 2019, 11:24
Videos like this always remind me that I never wanted to be further back than #2 in any tac. formation.

#1 goes over - enemy ground forces say "Whassat? Damn it's gone - missed it!"
#2 goes over - enemy ground forces say "Quick- there's more! (cocks weapon)!
#3 ....BLAT!"

:{