PDA

View Full Version : Istanbul Airport

beefix
27th May 2019, 14:09
I'm travelling to the middle east in two weeks time. I'm going via Istanbul's new airport. I have heard various tales about the place, has anyone got any tips. ie do's and don'ts?

Solar
27th May 2019, 16:18
I’m in Istanbul presently, came through the new airport a few weeks ago with no real problems other than the fact it is huge and I mean big.

Hotel Tango
27th May 2019, 17:01
Solar, I'm interested to know how the trip from the airport to the city went?

Solar
28th May 2019, 03:55
Fairly straight forward, got a taxi from one of the many taxi desks in the airport,50 Euros for what was a 45 minute trip.
I’m staying in what I believe to be the newer part of Istanbul it’s about 40 minutes to the center of the old town depending on traffic. Depending on the time of day traffic is a problem. I arrived late in the evening so not so much a problem from the airport but traveling to and from work is anything from 20 to 40 minutes for a three mile commute.
Interesting old town though.
Cheers

Hotel Tango
28th May 2019, 08:09
OK, thanks for the info. It was much cheaper from the old airport.

PAXboy
28th May 2019, 09:13
The problem I foresee is that the new airport will be staffed by the same unhelpful people from the old airport ... :ugh:

Thaihawk
2nd Jun 2019, 21:14
What's happening to the old airport?. A lot of it is not that old.

rog747
3rd Jun 2019, 05:08
A taxi to the old Ataturk from say Beşiktaş which is where some decent tourist hotels are, and a nice location, near Dolmabahçe Palace was dirt cheap - last time I think it was less than 20e
and if one was on the early flights out in the morning (First BA to LHR) then there was no traffic and it took about 15-20 mins (taxi's at 130kmph lol)

50e is like ouch!

Hotel Tango
3rd Jun 2019, 10:48
What's happening to the old airport?. A lot of it is not that old.

It will continue to be used by GA traffic and Government operated aircraft/flights. I think that it also continues to be used by a number of cargo carriers. As for the terminal itself, I think I read there were rumours of some form of Exhibition & Conference Centre or a museum, or both, but no firm plans.

Just had a look at FR24 and I saw that, among others, THY Cargo flights continue to operate there.