PDA

View Full Version : CALM DOWN! CALM DOWN!

oldmansquipper
26th May 2019, 11:55
Moments from disaster! OMG!

(Spoiler alert! No ball of flame, no nuns, no school averted, nobody died)

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liverpool-news/typhoon-liverpool-john-lennon-airport-16320035?utm_source=facebook.com&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=sharebar

scarecrow450
26th May 2019, 12:11
But what about the children ???

MPN11
26th May 2019, 14:35
Everything’s a drama in Liverpool, surely?

The dramatic scenes unfolded around 11.20am at the Speke (https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/all-about/speke)-based airport (https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/all-about/liverpool-john-lennon-airport).

taxydual
26th May 2019, 14:55
Thank God it didn't land. The wheels would have been nicked.

chevvron
26th May 2019, 15:45
But what about the children ???
Who cares about children; did it frighten any puppies?

Herod
26th May 2019, 16:05
Unless things have changed, this is pretty standard. As long as the wheels do not actually touch the runway, the RAF isn't billed a landing fee.

ShyTorque
26th May 2019, 17:48
It missed the ground by only one foot? How dangerous was THAT?

MPN11
26th May 2019, 17:59
Unless things have changed, this is pretty standard. As long as the wheels do not actually touch the runway, the RAF isn't billed a landing fee.
I thought we miserable sods in ATC could still raise a bill for “Navigation Services”? But perhaps that was Mil billing Civ? ISTR being cautioned about letting people off when I were a SATCO :)

Pontius Navigator
26th May 2019, 18:07
Didn't dare touch down in case some scouser knicked the wheels.

BirdmanBerry
26th May 2019, 19:03
The reporter ought to spend some time at Gloucestershire with the A400M doing go-arounds, what a pathetic 'news' story.

Two's in
26th May 2019, 19:07
Rumour is the Daily Mail are already funding the building of an orphanage, a nunnery and a nuclear power plant next to the runway so they can claim the Typhoon narrowly missed them all...

Buster Hyman
26th May 2019, 19:13
NEWSFLASH! TORY INCURSION AVERTED!

Kiltrash
26th May 2019, 20:42
Now a Ryanair doing a missed approach at Conningsby That may be newsworthy

Union Jack
26th May 2019, 21:11
Didn't dare touch down in case some scouser knicked the wheels.

I wonder if Taxydual thought likewise - well, nearly.....😱. Sorry, couldn't resist whilst catching up on the EU Election results!👍🏻😁

Jack

weemonkey
26th May 2019, 21:16
Having studied the picture it seems obvious that it had in fact been hi-jacked....

TBM-Legend
26th May 2019, 23:44
Liverpool Airshow it seems...

Now a Blackjack doing a missed approach would have been news [or visiting dear friends!]

NutLoose
27th May 2019, 00:39

Yep many many moons ago a new Chinook HC1 dropped a guy off at Speke who was going on leave, they hover taxied in, he jumped down and they passed his bag to him and then hover taxied out, they sent a bill and we pointed out it hadn't landed, they checked, confirmed it and the bill was cancelled.

Union Jack
27th May 2019, 11:22
Yep many many moons ago a new Chinook HC1 dropped a guy off at Speke who was going on leave, they hover taxied in, he jumped down and they passed his bag to him and then hover taxied out, they sent a bill and we pointed out it hadn't landed, they checked, confirmed it and the bill was cancelled.

For the avoidance of doubt, I don't believe that Nick Cooke-Priest is a Scouser....

Jack

Ken Scott
27th May 2019, 12:09
Even without actually doing a touch & go the Typhoon will have incurred a charge of nearly £3000 for that approach, most sensible RAF crews go elsewhere for their training where they won’t get ripped off, like Newquay Airport.

Martin the Martian
27th May 2019, 12:14
It would be nice to see Typhoons circuit bashing at Newquay. Even the usual Atlases have been noticeable by their absence in recent weeks. Has the agreement with Newquay Airport come to an end?

Stuart Sutcliffe
27th May 2019, 12:50
Now a Ryanair doing a missed approach at Conningsby That may be newsworthy
Not really, I don't think, because it would just be assumed that Ryanair had set up a schedule to "Skegness International Airport".

By the way, there are only two occurrences of that pesky letter 'n' in the name of Coningsby. ;)

treadigraph
27th May 2019, 14:12
Pretty sure I noticed an Atlas on ADSB doing circuits at Newquay in the last few days.

Geriaviator
27th May 2019, 16:29
Not having an Auntie Betty, I paid for all my flying and well remember being charged for every approach and goaround during my I/R training, in some cases the approach was almost as expensive as a landing. My pension wouldn't stretch to an I/R now even if I could remember where I had left the aircraft :*

spekesoftly
27th May 2019, 18:43
Even without actually doing a touch & go the Typhoon will have incurred a charge of nearly £3000 for that approach ......

Can you explain where that figure of nearly £3,000 comes from?

A quick look at LJLA's Schedule of Charges (available online) suggests that about £600 would be nearer the mark. Still a tidy sum, but only a fifth of the figure you quote.

Non Emmett
27th May 2019, 18:48
A400 has been doing circuits at Nqy three or four days in the last week or so with two operating locally at same time one day. Plenty of under-utilised airspace down this way so come on down.

Compass Call
27th May 2019, 20:52
Surely the reason for the missed approach at Liverpool was to let the guys & gals there know what 'The Sound of Freedom' sounds like :-)

Art Smass
28th May 2019, 02:14
Hawarden is a good place too - plenty of Hawks and Juno's do approaches there along with the occasional C130, A400 and more recently the new Texans

Ken Scott
28th May 2019, 18:55
Can you explain where that figure of nearly £3,000 comes from?

As I understand it there was a survey done a couple of years ago at an Oxfordshire base into the costs of performing PDs at various airports in the UK & that was the price quoted for an approach to go-around. Price was, admittedly, for the larger size of aircraft but no ‘military discount ‘ was offered. Maybe they offer a discount for the more petite aircraft?

But it does explain why large mil transports are a rare sight at Liverpool but relatively common down in Newquay.

spekesoftly
28th May 2019, 22:26
Price was, admittedly, for the larger size of aircraft but no ‘military discount ‘ was offered. Maybe they offer a discount for the more petite aircraft?The price is based on the aircraft's MTOW, hence the charge for a Typhoon is considerably less than for a BZZ 'heavy'.

Typhoondriver
29th May 2019, 06:59
For those with access with something 'fast n pointy', I'd highly recommend an instrument approach to RWY 27 at Liverpool with an 'SVFR departure not above 1000' down the Mersey'. All within the rules and a most pleasant way to see the Albert Dock area.

That said, I'd be cautious next time Liverpool ATC tell me to 'expedite climb' after an approach. The cheeky use of reheat required to comply with their instructions also resulted in the bonkers type of headline as above.

spekesoftly
30th May 2019, 08:11
I'd highly recommend an instrument approach to RWY 27 at Liverpool with an 'SVFR departure not above 1000' down the Mersey'..........

It certainly used to be a very popular PD for Valley Hawks (and Gnats, back in the day), as I'm sure many 4FTS QFIs and students remember.

Sky Sports
30th May 2019, 08:23
It can't have been that 'dramatic' if they had time for a selfie. (second photo).

30th May 2019, 13:35
A400 has been doing circuits at Nqy three or four days in the last week or so with two operating locally at same time one day. Plenty of under-utilised airspace down this way so come on down. noooo! It's bad enough trying to teach circuits there with Sqeezyjet doing touch and gos....