PDA

View Full Version : Staying Current "In the eyes of the Airlines"

Flyer1988
26th May 2019, 11:01
Hello Ladies and Gents,

I would like to ask a question regarding "currency" with flying.

A little about myself, I gained my PPL 8 years ago-

-The following two years I flew around 100 hours to take me to 160 hours total time
-The following four years I did my best to try and fly 15-20 hours a year taking me to around 250 hours
-In that time I gained the Night Rating.
-Two years ago I completed the ATPL'S exams distance learning.

Now I made sure my SEP rating stayed current and tried my very best to fly monthly, as you all know that's not easy when working with responsibilities and the financial aspect of it too whilst saving to do the CPL/IR.

I am now close to finishing the ME/IR/CPL and will finish with Total Time- 350 Hours. Following completion I will most likely do the APS with Virtual Aviation or Simtech.

Realistically the Airlines that I will have an opportunity with are the Ryanair's, Jet2's and co. and I see this following requirement constantly when researching jobs-

"You will have also maintained your flying ‘currency’ through training and/or regular flying."

Would my history of flying experience and yearly hours be deemed positive with the above quote or will it be viewed as big gaps within the years of training?

It is one of my concerns as I don't know what the airlines look for when requiring newly qualified pilots to have remained current and regular with flying.

Like I said above I tried my very best to stay regular with flying by flying 15-20 hours a year and keeping my rating current throughout.

Your opinion and advice would be greatly appreciated,

FLYER1988

FlightDetent
26th May 2019, 11:16
Hi, no worries. Reasonably active is definitely the case for you.

Many airline pilots and managers would like to fly in their spare time but don't because of a) job-free time issues b) cost involved. So they will easily understand your plight, it is all exactly the same to them! :sad:

Except they do not have to. You, on the other hand, at age 31 have proven persistence and commitment over quite some years already, against the tides. And that is a good quality of a candidate to find, unlike rota learning of TEM definitions.

There you go. Opinion asked for, opinion delivered. What actually happens is that in time of demand just about anything is not taken verbatim and the opposite is true on the downslope of the wave. Godspeed.