PDA

View Full Version : 60k on a course then what.......

tigershark1
5th Aug 2002, 10:13
Hi,

I have chosen flight school I want to train at, have prepared a loan application for the bank but there is still one niggling factor at the back of my mind, costs after a fully integrated course.

If you spend 60k on training and get the MCC with 20hrs do the airlines require you to pay for a type rating course? Or will they foot the bill when you join them?

I have heard that Britannia require a 15k bond which is refunded after 3 years service. Is this standard across the board? How did it work berfore 9/11? and how is it working now?

Would be useful to know as the further you look into the industry costs seem to escalate!!! :eek: and there really isn't too much information on this.

Thanks
TS1

Tinker
5th Aug 2002, 11:01
Different airlines do it different ways.
Some will give a type rating and bond you, some pay for your type rating and expect you to pay it back over a period of time. I have occasionaly heard of people getting a type rating with no strings but I haven't heard of an airline that expects you to pay for a type rating up front although I stand to be corrected.

If you are concidering paying for a type rating be very cautious. A type rating alone is somewhat devalued without the hours on type to go with it. There are people out there that have paid circa 18 grand in the hope of improving their prospects in these desperate times and have nothing but a bit of paper and a hole in their pocket to show for it. I can think of one person in particular who was told by a certain LCA that they would give him a job if he got himself a type rating, not supprisingly they went back on their word.

Then of course there is 'sodslaw' to take into account. You could go off and get yourself an a320 type rating only to find everyone is screaming out for 737 typed pilots.

tigershark1
5th Aug 2002, 18:03
Thanks for the insite Tinker, all thats left is the leap of faith!

Luke SkyToddler
5th Aug 2002, 18:34
There are, also, a few that require you to pay for your own type rating ... errmmm ... mind blank at half 6 in the morning but who's that crowd down south with the SD360's?

And of course theres Ryanair, who not only charge you for the privilege of submitting a CV, and again for your sim assessment, they make you pay up front for your rating and STILL bond you on some pittance of a wage for 3 years :mad:

foghorn
6th Aug 2002, 08:41
Streamline and BAC Express are the two Shed operators that offer type rating courses with the non-promise of a job afterwards, basically a gamble for people who feel lucky.

I think Streamline also operate F27s on the same basis.

Not a great route at the moment as the death of Gill last September caused a glut of Shed-rated pilots on the job market who may or may not have been rehired by now.

Cheers!
foggy.

redsnail
6th Aug 2002, 10:39
Streamline don't operate F27's.
They have just employed one or two more former Gill pilots (command) + I believe 2 FO's from their TRTO courses they ran last year. One I believe did the course in Aug, the other in Dec.

There is a bit of movement happening however, there is still a lot of guys on "their books".
"You pays your money you takes a chance.."

foghorn
6th Aug 2002, 10:50
Well spotted Reddo, I got the wrong one, BAC operate F27s.